• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crew cab 2013 3500 Denali Dmax or F350 Stroker

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
What do you guys think? I usually drive Fords but I like the HD Denali's and was thinking about buying one. I did a search before posting this and was surprised there weren't any recent discussions on these two trucks. I know these diesel threads can get out of hand so lets try and keep it objective.....haha. Question. Does GM not have the fancy touch screen like the Ford's? From the pictures it looks like the GM stuff only comes with a menu screen if you order Nav? A few other things, hows the 6.7 been working, any current issues with the Duramax and can you bypass DEF with a power chip?

Tks

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Admin please move to trucks and trailers.

If that's the case I guess I gotta move the Ferd F-Teenthousand thread too... lol

Back to trucks.. Ford has done a WAY better job with the DEF system.... the GM system has been plagued with problems, especially in cold weather. If you want to form your own opinion on it just have a look at DEF fill (gotta open the hood and try to balance a 20lb jug right at the back of the hood opening and pour into a small opening thats impossible to reach) or the location of the tank, hanging down several inches below the frame rail.... pretty common for people to damage the tanks coming from my contacts at the stealership. The Ford isn't perfect but I feel they have at least put some thought into it.

Want my take on the Dodge too? :face-icon-small-hap

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
If that's the case I guess I gotta move the Ferd F-Teenthousand thread too... lol

Back to trucks.. Ford has done a WAY better job with the DEF system.... the GM system has been plagued with problems, especially in cold weather. If you want to form your own opinion on it just have a look at DEF fill (gotta open the hood and try to balance a 20lb jug right at the back of the hood opening and pour into a small opening thats impossible to reach) or the location of the tank, hanging down several inches below the frame rail.... pretty common for people to damage the tanks coming from my contacts at the stealership. The Ford isn't perfect but I feel they have at least put some thought into it.

Want my take on the Dodge too? :face-icon-small-hap

Good info Cat didnt know about the DEF issue with the GM's. Sure throw the Dodge trucks in. I like v8s better but hey you never know I could buy one I suppose.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I have an 08 Dmax, so it's pre-urea and I love it. Yes, you can get touch screen Nav, DVD blah blah as a mater of fact, I think it's standard with the Bose system in the Denali models. With that being said, now that my truck is done and built, I think my next build might just be a new Ford. With a programmer, exhaust and urea delete, I have friends getting 20 + mpg in the Ford.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Before you run out and spend money on urea delete, I doubt it will affect your mileage.

We run a trucking company and have two model years of Peterbilts now with DEF, I was skeptical as all hell at first after the recent emissions disasters ((read DPF's) but they seem to have gotten it right. The power is back to or better than 2007 pre DPF levels and the mileage is back too. The expense on the DEF fluid or urea is minimal and by FAR offset by the improvement in mileage. And on a year old truck the inside of the stacks are still white glove shiny clean. The stuff works. And for those of you who know about NOX emissions and their effect on our environment, and how clean these trucks are running now, removing emissions controls just ain't cool any more. Sorry fellas.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
DEF on my 2011 duramax worked flawless in cold weather. I did have a couple issues with the level and quality sensor in the DEF tank. That was taken care of by a ECM flash and seems to be fine now. (13k miles)

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Good info Cat didnt know about the DEF issue with the GM's. Sure throw the Dodge trucks in. I like v8s better but hey you never know I could buy one I suppose.

The Dodge? Great engine, no matter who you ask (if they are honest/knowledgable) the rest of the truck is subject to preference/experience/opinion like anything else. I would be reluctant to buy one till they have a track record on the DEF systems ( I know I know, I sound like a broken record... But when you buy a truck and it spends more time in the shop than it does making you money it doesn't make you happy. And the expenses can skyrocket. ) Dodge finally got backed into a corner after two years of hiding behind bankruptcy excuses and trading in government protected EPA credits and will be adding DEF to their 2013 Ram 6.7's.
Give a year or so, and see if what they came up with works. Hopefully they modeled it after the system Paccar and Freightliner have been successfully using on their 6.7's for a couple years now.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
DEF on my 2012 duramax worked flawless in cold weather. I did have a couple issues with the level and quality sensor in the DEF tank. That was taken care of by a ECM flash and seems to be fine now. (13k miles)

So its just the location of the DEF fill that's a pain then or is it a non issue for you?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Yes, you can get GMC or chevy with the touch screen. It is the information center that is better on the ford. They have a nice screen between the gauges that all fancy showy. The GM's are just a smaller monochrome green.

With that said they GMs do drive really nice and the duramax has ton of towing power. The Ford has a larger cab on the crew which is nice. I really like the looks of the new 2013 Dodge Ram as well. They have a 7" information screen plus touch screen nav as well. They have an upgradable screen so you can add nav later if you choose not to buy it right from the get go. Their new interiors are really sweet and I love the size of the mega cab.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
You need to go drive and see which one YOU like. I feel they are all great systems. Now my take:
Ford: Bigger cab--great engine and good looks.
GM: Comfort plus--the best transmission and engine package for sure.
Dodge: Hard to argue with a Cummins engine.

Of course you know where I lean----Got Bowtie??

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Location of DEF tank filler is a non issue for me. Yes I think ford has a better location, but you only fill it when you do oil changes so IMO that is minor when comparing the trucks.

Another thing to consider is that GM will be coming out with a new truck soon, it might be worth waiting for.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The GM dash seems a little more outdated than the others but it also has everything in a user friendly location. The LTZ and Denali style dash has the controls for the climate and radio is a spot where you don't even have to reach or hardly look to make your adjustments.

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
DEF/Urea begins to sludge up and crystalize at around 15*F or -10*C I believe? So any of these new '13 trucks could be prone to issues.

GM does seem outdated, even the Denali, but they are getting refined for '14. The new '13 Superduty interior is full of new technology, that MyTouch is pretty impressive. I know the nav unit for the Ram's is also being changed for '13 due to issues with the Infotainment system they use - as was on our '10 Ram 3500.

Platinum Superduty in the spring for me ;)

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
DEF/Urea begins to sludge up and crystalize at around 15*F or -10*C I believe? So any of these new '13 trucks could be prone to issues.

I left my truck outside over the weekends several times last season when it was colder than that and had no issues. The trucks have a system in place to heat the fluid if necessary. Do you own a truck with urea? Did you have issues? I know several guys that own DEF duramax trucks and no one has had any cold weather DEF issues.

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I left my truck outside over the weekends several times last season when it was colder than that and had no issues. The trucks have a system in place to heat the fluid if necessary. Do you own a truck with urea? Did you have issues? I know several guys that own DEF duramax trucks and no one has had any cold weather DEF issues.

No the Cummins we have is pre-urea.
I know all the tanks are insulated and heated, and then use a spill back when the truck is running. What I meant was as soon as that heating sytem acts up it starts to gel and is mostly the culprit for the urea related problems. DEF issues are not common.

Motor wise, our Cummins has been strong. Two TCM reflashes solved trannys clunking. The big problem has been our nav freezing up and the famous steering box leak.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
You need to go drive and see which one YOU like. I feel they are all great systems. Now my take:
Ford: Bigger cab--great engine and good looks.
GM: Comfort plus--the best transmission and engine package for sure.
Dodge: Hard to argue with a Cummins engine.

Of course you know where I lean----Got Bowtie??

Totally agree.

Read any of the recent comparos and the Duramax is kicking everyone's ***.

Check out

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1111dp_king_of_the_hill_rematch/viewall.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-truck-specs-and-testing-approach.html

Just my 2 cents, but I hate the GM IFS. Also, the most dated interior. I absolutely hate how the UREA tank hangs down low. Really guys? That looks like crap!

I think the Dodge and Fords are way better looking trucks and have the solid front.

The Ford UREA setup is way better for sure. The Ford interior is the nicest for 12, but it looks like the 13 Dodge is going to step it up.

I think the Dodge is outgunned in 12 but is reloading for 13 and will have the Aisin 6 speed tranny and rated 385/850 ft lbs with urea. I'm interested in how it fairs.

Basically I would rather have the Duramax/Allison in either of the other two trucks.

All being said, if I were buying a diesel truck tomrrow it would be the Duramax. This is coming from a guy with an Ecoboost right now and two Cummins trucks before.

I am interested to see how the pumped up 13 Cummins compares though.

Last edited:
Premium Features