• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ok so who else is going to trade their Dodge 6.7L cummins in on a Ford ASAP?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Bought a 12' dirtymax a week ago. The day after I bought it we drove from logan to salt lake about 15 miles of hills but according to my truck I averaged 19.2 on the trip. I was doing 75-85 the whole way. So if mileage improves overtime I'm pretty happy with my first diesel. I hope everything works out with your dodge! My truck is completely stock and I dont plan on doing anything to my motor till my warranty is up.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
And he doesn't because you say so right? I assume you own a deleted 6.7 being your so knowledgeable in em?

The thread starter is disappointed with his truck partially because of bs mileage claims likely from the Internet and manufacturer. Why give him more unrealistic numbers to shoot for? 20 mpg towing with big tires and 75 mph doesn't happen. Diesel or no diesel. Sure someone somewhere has managed it...but I sure wouldnt expect it or call it the norm. Many more guys are getting 10 than 20. Anyone who wants to argue that is either bs ing themselves or bad at math. I have achieved 23 mpg with my truck before on a longer trip. But I have achieved 16 mpg a lot more often. Less in the winter. Less towing. Less towing in the winter. Which number would you like?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Just the stock 265/70/17 tires ..

I guess I should have got the truck with the 3.31 gears? I don't know.

I guess I could upsize to a 305/70/17 .... but the dealer won't program for that tire size I already asked.

after reading hours and hours on the cummins forums, its actually pretty common to read that people are getting better mileage WHILE TOWING with the lower 4:10s. i guess when going 65-70 mph, the 4:10s puts the engine right in its rpm "sweet spot". however, the 3:73s are obviously better for the empty miles.

but all BS asside....when i was researching the 3 diesels for 2012, the dodge go the worst empty or towing. i grew up in a ford family, and pretty much had my mind set on a powerstroke. when i drove the dodge i liked it better. it had LESS seat of the pants HP, but the warranty, price, and options on the dodge made me drive it home. so far i have no complaints about the dodge except mileage. when towing i wish i had a manual, but if im not i have no complains about the auto in the dodge. i know the motor will be great....hopefully the rest of the vehicle holds up as well lol.

Last edited:

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
The thread starter is disappointed with his truck partially because of bs mileage claims likely from the Internet and manufacturer. Why give him more unrealistic numbers to shoot for? 20 mpg towing with big tires and 75 mph doesn't happen. Diesel or no diesel. Sure someone somewhere has managed it...but I sure wouldnt expect it or call it the norm. Many more guys are getting 10 than 20. Anyone who wants to argue that is either bs ing themselves or bad at math. I have achieved 23 mpg with my truck before on a longer trip. But I have achieved 16 mpg a lot more often. Less in the winter. Less towing. Less towing in the winter. Which number would you like?

I don't think he was claiming that while towing just saying his mileage in general. I'm not tryin to argue anything, don't need anyone to tell me about em I've worked on em for 14 years. His mileage does seem low and like you stated alot of factors contribute to mileage etc. temps, load, wind. So what did your 6.7 get stock and deleted?

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Dpf/egr delete will gain you 2-4mpg on any of the new diesels. I will tell you stock for stock the new powerstoke has more power then the cummins and dmax. My programmed 07 5.9 is about the same as a 6.7 ford stock.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
What you need to do is get rid of the new Cummins and find an old 12 valve and run it. The low end power is better and the mileage is considerably better.:face-icon-small-coo Seriously, as stated above, the mileage people get varies very significantly from truck to truck. I have been driving diesels since 1996 and the secret is to find the sweet spot in the RPM range. I have a 1998 12 valve Cummins that gets 18mpg day in and day out if I keep the tach at about 1900 RPM. If I go to 2050 RPM my mileage will fall off pretty good. I just went to ND last weekend in my new 2012 Ram 2500 with a Hemi and picked up a new 18' inline aluminum trailer. On the way out I got 16mpg and on the way home I got anywhere between 8.5 and 10 mpg. On the trip home I was always bucking a crosswind or a headwind other than about 20 miles of the trip. During that 20 miles I had a good tailwind and the computer was showing almost 17mpg but as soon as the wind switched it went right back to 10mpg. I was really whining because I drove the gasser rather than the diesel but the new truck is so comfy. The wind really does make a huge difference in MPG when pulling a sled trailer. You will get better mileage after the truck gets more miles on it but like all of us, you always want better. Good Luck with your new truck.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
All 13 Dodge Cummins will have a urea system like Ford and Chevy. Unfortunately that means more costly maintenance and possibly worse mpg.

My 2010 Cummins w/ 50k miles averages 14.5 mpg empty and 9-11 towing trailers over passes in the Northwest.

Ironically the 2010-12 Dodges are the next coveted Dodges like the 2006 5.9 HO Cummins

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
All 13 Dodge Cummins will have a urea system like Ford and Chevy. Unfortunately that means more costly maintenance and possibly worse mpg.

You might be confussed.... Having urea should help the MPG. Currently the DPF system burns diesel fuel out of your tank to clean the system. When you have a urea equiped system it uses the Urea to clean that DPF system. So in turn you aren't "burning" as much diesel to go the same distance. You are still burning something that you have to pay for but the actual diesel fuel mileage should go up!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I don't think he was claiming that while towing just saying his mileage in general. I'm not tryin to argue anything, don't need anyone to tell me about em I've worked on em for 14 years. His mileage does seem low and like you stated alot of factors contribute to mileage etc. temps, load, wind. So what did your 6.7 get stock and deleted?
Isn't the thread about towing? See how things get so f'd up? People are so excited to claim some great sounding mileage number for their truck (or their "buddy's" truck) that you just wind up with garbage information. That's the point I'm getting at here.

I don't own a Dodge. However, you could fill in "Dodge" with any of the other brands and still have the same discrepancies. Never mind the differences in terrain further west compared to those in the flats.

Last edited:

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA

You might be confussed.... Having urea should help the MPG. Currently the DPF system burns diesel fuel out of your tank to clean the system. When you have a urea equiped system it uses the Urea to clean that DPF system. So in turn you aren't "burning" as much diesel to go the same distance. You are still burning something that you have to pay for but the actual diesel fuel mileage should go up!

The dealer told me yesterday the 13' with urea would have same or worse mpg. But some dealers will also tell u mpg is 20.

Hopefully you are correct that MPG will improve.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
The dealer told me yesterday the 13' with urea would have same or worse mpg. But some dealers will also tell u mpg is 20.

Hopefully you are correct that MPG will improve.

it is a general rule of thumb that when running the juice, you will get better mileage. not because the engine is using less fuel, but because less fuel is needed for re-gens (if you dont understand how the regeneration process works, you wont understand any of this....). when running the juice, exhaust emissions are lower per "tree hugger standards" thus the DPF is not required to do as much....which in turn means less re-gens. im not sure if the DPF is completely different and is a more "course" filter designed to catch less soot, or how that all actually works. but from the reading i have done.....

DEF = less regens = better fuel mileage due to less fuel being injected into the exhaust to perform the regens

S
The only way to get decent mileage is to delete in my experience

My 08 quad cab short box 6 speed 3.40 or 3.42 gears without a tuner and stock emissions 14-15 at best, threw the smarty on before i deleted emissions did 16-18, i just deleted egr, cooler, and dpf's and switched my smarty tune and havent seen below 18.7 and as high as 20.8 just on a 120 mile round trip with some town driving. The other thing is after deleting my exhaust and water temp have been way cooler. All the above is running empty with tires a inch or 2 taller than stock. Im excited to see what it gets running down the big road and towing.

I know the warrenties are hard to void right off the bat but after seeing the black exhaust soot build up on the intake i find it hard to believe that any motor can live very long let alone produce enough power to get decent mileage.

After talking up the dodge i have heard newer ford and especially duramax guys are having really nice results after deleting and getting rid of the urea injection (6-7 mpg)!:hail:

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
We got 9.4 mpg trip average to the Bighorns from Eastern South Dakota with a 2012 3/4 ton H.O. 6.7 cummins Longhorn Edition. We were pulling a 48 foot enclosed gooseneck square nosed trailer. Im not sure what to tell you if your only getting 9 pulling the 2 place enclosed.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Using the urea tank is the way to go, and yes, your engine efficiency DOES improve when you aren't recycling exhaust gasses back to your air intake. Trade off is you have to deal with the urea tank.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised by this.

I just didn't think the towing mileage with such a small trailer would be as bad as it was.

The true test will be when I start pulling my big trailer regularly I suppose. I am getting 2 mpg better unloaded with this truck than my old one.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
The true test will be when I start pulling my big trailer regularly I suppose. I am getting 2 mpg better unloaded with this truck than my old one.

maybe and even trade for something that will pull much better than the 8.1

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
maybe and even trade for something that will pull much better than the 8.1

Yeah .... It is putting down 2x the torque.

The 8.1L was rated at 320 horsepower @ 4800 RPM, 450 ft-lb @ 2800 rpm .... great power band for a towing gas motor .... but, go up to 5,000+ feet and you're probably getting somewhere around 275 horse and 400 ft-lb out of it, which is still enough to tow the loads I was hauling well enough .... but .... even at altitude, the diesel will put down 800 ft-lb because of the turbo .... so yeah, there is that :)

Premium Features