• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ok so who else is going to trade their Dodge 6.7L cummins in on a Ford ASAP?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My 2011 Dmax seemed to get better MPGs after ~10k miles.

Pulling our camper (~30' bumper pull) to Lake Mac a few weeks ago we got 11MPGs. There were some pretty decent cross winds on the way up.

Empty around town I am seeing 17. On a trip back and forth to Colorado Springs a couple of weekends ago I got 20 MPG.

Is Dodge going to go with Urea soon? I thought they had it on some models (chassis cabs)?

I see similar numbers with my '11 Duramax. I have seen 20 going from Denver to Gypsum (up and down but more uphill). We all know it's a big difference if you are going 55-65 vs 75-80 mph. I'm not at all bashing any of the trucks. Just putting out what I have seen for comparison.

I was told Dodge goes to urea this year. Urea is not as bad as many make it out to be. 2.5 gallons every 3-4k for me. That 2.5 cost me $10 at Napa.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Quit being a puss and sack up and put a mini maxx and delete the DPF/EGR! My buddy has the same truck with those mods and runs 20x10 with 35x12.50s and he gets 20-21mpg going 75mph!

Stock the milage sucks I had a 2011 cummins but it was a lemon so now I have a 2012 grand cherokee with the hemi and I get 14 pulling my 2 place!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

M
Nov 13, 2010
I was at a dealership the other day- and one of their head mechanics (not just the guy that puts air in the tires and washes the windows) told me that a diesel is not fully broke-in until you get at least 50,000 miles- and that lots of times it takes till 80k.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Like other have said delete it and you will get better mileage, only down side is you will loose your warranty. (if you care about that at all).

My 08 Ford went from a 10-12 to 18-20 with the simple delete. I cant see cumminGs being to far behind that.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I was at a dealership the other day- and one of their head mechanics (not just the guy that puts air in the tires and washes the windows) told me that a diesel is not fully broke-in until you get at least 50,000 miles- and that lots of times it takes till 80k.

So for many people that would be 4 years of driving. Is it ok to wait 4 years for your vehicle to (possibly) return the mileage you expected it to?

The saving grace for Dogmeat is that all the trucks basically get the same mileage (and that goes for gas or diesel). So there's really no point in trading to different brands and spending a bunch of money in search of fuel economy. Compared to vehicles that are ACTUALLY good on fuel, they all suck pretty hard, so might as well drive what you like and be happy.

Like other have said delete it and you will get better mileage, only down side is you will loose your warranty. (if you care about that at all).
Ya who cares about warranty on their brand new $60K truck with a ton of extremely expensive parts, right? Would definitely be smarter to spend even more money on the truck and void the warranty chasing BS internet mileage claims.

Sorry to be a dink, but working at a dealership I see the other side of this all day. The average guy is pretty pissed off with a $X,XXX bill for some crap that isn't covered by warranty because he voided the warranty on his brand new truck.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i have a 2012 6.7 with about 6500 miles on it. when it was brand new, i drove it to the big horns with and open 4 place. i got 10.5 mpg going 75-80 mph the whole way. most of my other miles are pulling my 5th wheel toy hauler that's 11500 lbs loaded. i get 7-8 mpg pulling that at 65 mph. i am in western ND, so it isnt FLAT, but we dont have mountains either. it is constant up and down hills. the mileage is worse than i expected. only thing to do is delete it.....which others have said will void the warranty. you can tear the stuff of before dealer visits, but the know the ECU was tampered with.....no way around it.

im not partial to any brand, but i do like this dodge other than the mileage. if the 6.7 ford lives up to be a good engine, i will definitely look at fords the next goround

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010

My 08 Ford went from a 10-12 to 18-20 with the simple delete. I cant see cumminGs being to far behind that.

by buddy deleted his 6.7 cummins. and in the western part of ND in the gently rolling hills of the "bad lands", he will get 17-18 empty with it. as apposed to my stock 6.7 getting 13-14

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Ya who cares about warranty on their brand new $60K truck with a ton of extremely expensive parts, right? Would definitely be smarter to spend even more money on the truck and void the warranty chasing BS internet mileage claims.

Sorry to be a dink, but working at a dealership I see the other side of this all day. The average guy is pretty pissed off with a $X,XXX bill for some crap that isn't covered by warranty because he voided the warranty on his brand new truck.

Exactly! I have a 6yr/100k warranty, I'm not about to ditch it and take chances on the repair. How do you get your stock pipe back on if you need to take it to the dealer? I'd have to cut mine just to get it off.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
So for many people that would be 4 years of driving. Is it ok to wait 4 years for your vehicle to (possibly) return the mileage you expected it to?

The saving grace for Dogmeat is that all the trucks basically get the same mileage (and that goes for gas or diesel). So there's really no point in trading to different brands and spending a bunch of money in search of fuel economy. Compared to vehicles that are ACTUALLY good on fuel, they all suck pretty hard, so might as well drive what you like and be happy.

Trust me I agree 100% you play the mod game you should pay for any damage.

Matter fact it pisses me off when people mod there trucks break them return the back to stock then think the manufacturer should fix them under warranty.

The only time my truck seeing the dealership was when it was sitting there before I bought it. If it breaks I will fix it myself and pay the price to get better millage.

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
No he doesn't.

And he doesn't because you say so right? I assume you own a deleted 6.7 being your so knowledgeable in em?

You can get the exhaust off a ram without chopping it up, pull the trans member and it'll pop right out. Chances of having an issue deleted are pretty slim, unless your beatin the holy **** out of it and abusing it then you deserve it. Dogmeat give it alittle time to loosen up and see how it does. If you did decide to delete you won't be disappointed.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Well. I guess the moral of the story is, I bought the thing. Now I'm stuck with it. Guess I better learn to like it.

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
OK! There are two types of diesal owners. The ones who get 9mpg and the ones who get 20mpg. One group stretches the truth. My lmm Duramax has 100k miles on it and would average 10mpg with the load you pulled. Yep no kidding, no dpf delete and an economy programmer. In my opinion the dpf delete will gain me 1 to 2 mpg. Not worth it to me. The Ford you mention will get the same.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Still love mine. But I am seeing a little better mileage than you are right now. What size are your stock tires? IMO the stockers are way to small unless you are towing big loads and need the power.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Still love mine. But I am seeing a little better mileage than you are right now. What size are your stock tires? IMO the stockers are way to small unless you are towing big loads and need the power.

Just the stock 265/70/17 tires ..

I guess I should have got the truck with the 3.31 gears? I don't know.

I guess I could upsize to a 305/70/17 .... but the dealer won't program for that tire size I already asked.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
I just bought a 12 mega 6.7 and also had a Chevy 8.1 gasser that I traded in. Although mine was the 6 speed manual.
The 8.1 got at best 12 empty and 8-10 pulling ANY load if I pulled even a lawn mower it would drop to 10! And the power was not even close to a diesel.
Now my new 6.7, I am getting 17 empty.
Have put about 3500 miles on so far, probably 2000 of those pulling my 22ft boat, roughly 4500-5000 lbs. and getting 12 pretty consistently pulling that.

Truck is completely stock with 3.73 gears and 35x12.50x18 with a 2" level.

This IS more economical than my 8.1 ever was.
IMHO, the 8.1 is over rated! And I owned one for 6 years

Weird how two of the same trucks can be so different

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
And he doesn't because you say so right? I assume you own a deleted 6.7 being your so knowledgeable in em?

You can get the exhaust off a ram without chopping it up, pull the trans member and it'll pop right out. Chances of having an issue deleted are pretty slim, unless your beatin the holy **** out of it and abusing it then you deserve it. Dogmeat give it alittle time to loosen up and see how it does. If you did decide to delete you won't be disappointed.

I actually have an 08 6.7 with smarty egr delete and exhaust. I have 37s with a six inch lift. I can get 20 mpg pretty regularly with it and have gotten as good as 23. Duchesne Utah, to Layton Utah to Helena in one tank, mapquest it for mileage. The 6.7s can get good mileage. It takes a 5 inch exhaust over 4 and smarty or Efi over h and s.

Dogmeat:
Keep the truck, when mine was brand new, my mileage was crap, it will increase up until about 20k. Trust me, I know of 6 or 7 guys with them and they have all been close to the same.

And the Chevys and fords have nearly the exact same emissions setup as dodge, except that they use urea in place of part of the regens. They do still regen though, which many people think they dont

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
For the guy that said he doesn't your dead wrong! Truck gets that milage (EVIC and hand calculated) and this is a list of his mods!

XRT pro
5" turbo back no muffler
S&B intake
EGR delete
ATS co-pilot
Mag-tec covers (full ams in all fluids of the truck)

Last edited:
Premium Features