• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1000t chain broken

B

bcguy

Jan 12, 2008
so i had the unexpected pleasure of my drive chain snapping today,we were just playing in the logging blocks and were able to get out ok but i definately have a concern.The tensioner was broke ,dont know if this happened before or after chain breaking.I am a fairely mellow rider and love power but would not be called agressive for the most part.On my twisted 1200 i could understand when i blew the diamond drive light out of it ,it has considerably more power.this is kind of making me nervous.has anyone else broke a chain on the 1100 t? mabey it was just defective as sled has 500 kms on it

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
Buddy's sled broke one about 800 miles, but there was also a tooth missing on the top gear. Same thing not sure which came first. He has a "little" more than stock power though lol!

B

bcguy

Jan 12, 2008
i also have a tooth chipped off of top gear,not completely but it looks like a chunk of the broked chain link went through it,does anyone know if they make a stronger than stock chain for these?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
so is it partly the jackshaft issue...??..the tcl..??..willikers what a possible needle in the haystack...

K

Kbakbmr

Nov 28, 2009
Palmer, AK
If it was the auto tensioner that failed, you could put the manual tensioner on it from the 600 sno x sled with slight mod to the case. My chain didn't snap but the outside links were pulling off of the chain. My top gear was .090 out of alignment. So maybe check that or float the top gear.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
I brought this up in the big chute turbo thread and was told that the chain has no problems with big boost and that the flatlanders were shockloading with the studs and such. Now peeps are seeing that these gears and chains are yet again another vendor problem for Cat (or else they went cheap). Look up STM they have hyvo chain and gears and so does D&D and when you see the price your gonna get pizzed. Good bye reverse too although it was never really there anyhow. BTW got my info from a bunch of flatlanders in January that the chain and gears was a POS.

B

bcguy

Jan 12, 2008
i really have a problem with owning a 2012 sled with no reverse , i have been told that a fix is coming that should make the reverse not fail (at least for the most part) and after seeing inside the chain case it did not look like it was the problem on mine.I see a stronger top gear and wider chain would help and it looks like there is room,what do you all think?

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
If it was the auto tensioner that failed, you could put the manual tensioner on it from the 600 sno x sled with slight mod to the case. My chain didn't snap but the outside links were pulling off of the chain. My top gear was .090 out of alignment. So maybe check that or float the top gear.

What do you mean by float the top gear?

G
Jan 24, 2012
I agree. One thing I don't understand is everyone knows that the hyvo Chain set up works so why does ac piss with other crap! I think we should throw the tlc in the garbage and go back to conventional way of mounting everything it sure would eliminate alot of headaches. Jmop.

Last edited:
M

Mlosey131

Sep 28, 2011
I have an 800 and my chain tensioner fell off and took absolutely everything out it even blew the side of the chain case open

B

bcguy

Jan 12, 2008
i guess i am going to try and find the manual tensioner out of the 600.am looking for the top sprocket for the 1100 t in stock ,western canada.any dealers on here that might have this asap,I did source the chain already

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Interesting info. As I have posted on some other threads my 2012 800 162 had two chain tensioners fail this season in 1000 miles in the hills. Both times everything was warrantied from my dealer. They talked to Arctic Cat direct and were told that nobody else is having this issue and there have been no changes made to the 2013 model. They are blaming it on the 20 tooth top gear I am running. Which is bull**** because the chain tensioner is only in the middle position to tension the chain with this gear. Was looking for an aftermarket chain that would bring my tensioner back the factory position. Or maybe the C3 belt drive ? The manual tensioner off the 600 snopro sounds interesting as this is the first I have heard of this. I have a 2010 600 snopro in my garage. Anyone have any pics of this manual tensioner installed ? May be a much cheaper route then going with the belt drive. All I know is I'm not running it like this next year!

B

bcguy

Jan 12, 2008
so with the belt drive will it handle more than stock power if a person wants to upgrade and do we still keep reverse,this sled is just to heavy to not have reverse,(my opinion)

Premium Features