• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
^^^^^^ that is why I always carry a fire extinguisher with me when I ride the turbo !!!! seen it to many times not to... I almost lost mine this year leaky exhaust melted my trail tank to paper thin. I was lucky that I found it in the shop while changing plugs. (trail tank has to come off to do the plugs)
it was so thin that I was able to crack by pushing my finger on it !!!

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Re:heat shield/wrap

--Question--

--Why is there not a heat shield between the turbo and the tank?

--Why is the turbo not wrapped ?

http://www.thermotec.com/products/15001-turbo-insulating-kit.html

Thanks for the insight. I keep hearing a lot of the same comments. i.e.: turbo's are not turn key etc.

FYI: Alpine DID try to protect the tank from the turbo with foil taped fiber board. Alpine DID build a good performance ride. What they forgot to do was build it maintenance free. They also forgot to sell it as a high maintenance turbo sled. The tank is installed basically touching the framework they built to keep the heat away from the tank... kinda defeats the purpose??? I have paid particularly close attention to these areas and have maintained the tape job over the years. The melt points were non issues in this case. It was the cap that came off.

I agree 100 % that there should be a firewall or something to protect a plastic tank. I guess we should check all bolts and threaded items each and every ride and every time we stop... cause it's a TURBO!!! Whatever... I have seen turbo's run flawlessly and with no more maintenance than most sleds.

I sure hope Alpine stays away from propane sleds!!! Can you imagine the disastrous consequences with regards to propane?

Once again I find myself repeating myself... the down fall is the tank. THEY JUST HAVE TO FIX THE TANK!!! We can beat this to death!!! The Tank is the issue. They know the tank is the issue!!! They don't stand behind the tank!!!

I bought a new Chevy 8 years ago!!! I have never had to have the tank serviced!!! The tank is installed for the life of the Chevy!!! If the tank has an issue, WHICH IS VERY UNLIKELY, Chevy will fix it. Chevy had a tank issue years ago and "RECALLED" the tanks!!! They sent out notices to the registered owners and had the trucks brought in to have the tanks repaired. I expect nothing less.

I have had numerous comments, thanks and ratings on this thread both positive and negative. One could retaliate, however, it is all of your opinions that make this conversation productive. Please keep the comments alive. Don't be afraid to add to the conversation. I may not agree, but that is my right as it is yours to disagree with my opinions.

Thanks for all of your input!!!

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Thanks

I had my Turbo Apex light up. It was not the shops fault or mine. A flex pipe cracked. I was running 14 lbs of boost at 1300 ft. The leak melted a hole in the fuel tank. The sled was on fire and so was I . Like someone said before, turbo sleds are not turn key. That said I am still going to get another Tapex. Good luck with yours.

Thanks.

It is good to know what others have had happen. Maybe this will help some people prevent a potential fire.

Cheers!!!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I think that you are giving GM way to much credit on that. The government made them recall these tanks and get them fixed. It was not out of the kindness of their hearts that they were doing that. Give credit where credit is due, but GM is due nothing in that instance.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
--Question--

--Why is there not a heat shield between the turbo and the tank?

--Why is the turbo not wrapped ?

http://www.thermotec.com/products/15001-turbo-insulating-kit.html

there is a aluminum heat sheild that is wrapped in heat tape that is not the issue a fuel leak was.if you think aluminum tanks will solve the issue think again i have seen them leak too.by the way no turbo makers tanks are transport approved why?cost do you know what it cost to get a tank approved. a turbo kit would be 10grand:face-icon-small-dis

N
Dec 6, 2011
Vancouver BC
If your so concerned for everyones safety why don't you fix the problem instead of bitching about it. I would guess a guy like you blames everyone else whenever something ****ty happens to you. You modded the sled so now deal with it. Gm would not fix **** if you modded there stuff.

P

powpounder

Feb 19, 2008
Alberta
If your so concerned for everyones safety why don't you fix the problem instead of bitching about it. I would guess a guy like you blames everyone else whenever something ****ty happens to you. You modded the sled so now deal with it. Gm would not fix **** if you modded there stuff.

Well said!!! Now this will give him something else to bitch about for the next month!!! Oh and by the way, I have a Alpine Turbo Nytro and can't say enough good things about the service I get from Dean and his crew!!!:rockon:

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Yep

I think that you are giving GM way to much credit on that. The government made them recall these tanks and get them fixed. It was not out of the kindness of their hearts that they were doing that. Give credit where credit is due, but GM is due nothing in that instance.

It is called DOT... for those who don't know what that means... "Department of Transportation"!!!

DOT regulates the transportation industry. Your helmut for instance is DOT approved... possibly SNELL approved for those who are involved in racing. It is very probable GM was influenced by DOT and/or any other regulations and obligations that regulate the industry. Thats what makes it work. That is why there is liability. Keeps them honest.

Frankly, it makes no difference if they were pushed, they fixed the problem.

Oh forgot to mention, I didn't mod the sled, Alpine did. I just bought it. One could say a car starter is a mod. GM never told me to get stuffed on warrantee issues because of my starter. I am sure if I had a starter motor quit, I may have had an issue. In this case Alpine installed the tank, not me, still looking for the issue?

Last edited:

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
???

Funny thing... I have already resolved the problem. I never said I didn't. I don't have the time of day to piss around. My ride will be on the snow as soon as it flys in the new season. And what does repairing my sled have to do with warning others about a potentially serious problem? Seems to me the bitch fest started with a couple peeps who obviously and respectfully so... support Alpine. Fine with me!!! Don't care. Seems to me people like you.... Ya!!! I could attack you on a personal level too!!! I could probably threaten you... I could take lots of immature actions. NOT what this was EVER about!!!

This was brought about due to MY LACK of service and support from Alpine. If they didn't just say Kiss my A$$, I probably wouldn't have even bothered. I didn't even ask for anything in particular, I just asked Julian what his thoughts were... basically Kiss my A$$... So if you want to create a bitch fest on my page then maybe you should get your facts straight.

I actually gave Alpine due credit on the product they build. I took credit away for their piece of crap gas tank and the way it is installed. I also pointed out (and if you really want to) talk to a lawyer and find out the facts about liability of non certified tanks. Whatever on the costs... a $10,000 turbo kit? Because of a tank??? OK, if thats what you think. I can buy preformed plastic tanks that ARE certified. I am very sure there are preformed tanks that will work on a sled. I guess if you don't really care about your business you install non certified tanks on semi-production turbo kits. Alpine likes playing with fire!!! Literally!!!

For the most part, I have tried to keep this in check and simply point out there is a potential fire issue associated with Alpine and potential for no service if it happens. I have encouraged others thoughts here and thats great. Don't attack me on a personal level. If you have valid points, please feel free to leave a comment. If not, don't bother. Due to the fact this is my thread, I Will respond to those I chose to. If that offends you, then be politically correct and don't visit my thread.

Funny thing... I like comments like this... adds up to page hits!!!

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
10 G's

there is a aluminum heat sheild that is wrapped in heat tape that is not the issue a fuel leak was.if you think aluminum tanks will solve the issue think again i have seen them leak too.by the way no turbo makers tanks are transport approved why?cost do you know what it cost to get a tank approved. a turbo kit would be 10grand:face-icon-small-dis

As per previous post.

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
FYI

K, so here is a plastic outfit that does certified tanks. Just one of a bunch. They do custom stuff too so possibly if one was to build more than one of, they may be open to some discussion on pricing??? Maybe??? I know this is marine but they are certified for boats which are very strict on fuel containment. Not sure what else they do in fuel cells but it is a start. The vehicle race industry also has certified fuel cells.

http://www.ippnet.com/marine/marine-tanks.html

Another of their products

http://www.ippnet.com/marine/no-spill-fuel-can.html

Here is a couple from the Automotive industry. Note there are many other tanks to choose from.

http://www.jazproducts.com/circle_fuel_cells.html

http://www.rciracing.com/

Here is a cool one.

http://www.atlinc.com/sports-cell-series.html

I'm not even trying hard to find these. There are tons of these sites and some even offer custom work. The tanks are certified. I am sure the first tank would be expensive but as with any worthy project, it would pay for itself in the end.

Last edited:

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Something different

K... so I am going to post some pics of a new project I am building in my shop. I am adding some pics for now and I will keep it updated as I progress. I am not saying what I am building. I am sure some will figure it out quickly. It will have a certified fuel cell tho...

IMG_0602.jpg IMG_0603.jpg IMG_0604.jpg IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0608.jpg

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Next

A few more. Progress will be a tad slow for the next few weeks I think until the damage to my rib cage starts to heal (Last trip). I will be continuing on the layout and then I will be doing a file for cutting on my plasma table. Hopefully in the next two weeks I will be able to share some real pics.

Hopefully this lightens the topic a bit and we can put into perspective the reason I posted here in the first place. It may also show those who think I'm just some backyard bozo, that I do actually have some skills and knowledge.

Anyway, here are they rest of the pics. I'll try to accomplish something so I have something to add very soon.

IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0612.jpg

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Project x

Heres a couple more pics of the summer project. Going to jump on it this weekend. I will finish the layout and print the scale down version, cut out of paper and tape it together to make sure it works before I import them to my table for cutting.

IMG_0819.jpg IMG_0820.jpg IMG_0821.jpg IMG_0822.jpg IMG_0823.jpg IMG_0824.jpg

Premium Features