• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 - 2012 Diesel Trucks - Opinions/Experiences

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a 2011 Denali HD (Duramax) and I love it. Amazing truck. I just wish I could mod out with a 4" exhaust and a tuner. But those will void the warranty, so I'll have to make due with 397hp!

Things I love...
Looks are killer with the Denali package, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, exhaust brake, back up camera, 6 spd Allison is amazing pulling a load, Seats are comfortable, Bose system sounds awesome, blue tooth phone is sweet, running boards are great and the remote start from my iPhone is awesome!

Things I don't like...
Didn't come with HID's, rear seat doesn't fold down they way my 2006 GMC did, not enough storage in the console area (bins), rear seating is not as roomy as Dodge.

Overall, I wouldn't touch a Ford or Dodge. This truck is amazing.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I have a 2011 4x4 Mega Cab 3500 with the 6.7HO and totally love it so far!!! the only thing that i wish was better is the heater air flow to the rear seat!!! My 2006 was awesome. this one seems to be alot beefier with the tranny and love the auto or gear select and love the engine brake when going down hills!!! I pull a 33ft rv and a 28ft enclosed in the winter!! and don't know anything is there!!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I picked up a 2011 GMC 2500 SLT LML short box in December.

It pulls awesome - the exhaust brake works great with the Allison. The jury is still out on mileage - mine has been pretty damn bad, but I have been towing most of the time in windy conditions.

I have had two issues with the UREA - I had a DEF Quality Error pop up, which they cleared right away. Then a couple of weeks later I had an issue with the DEF tank level sensor which was also cleared by resetting it through the computer.

Based on internet forums others had similar DEF issues when the 2011s first came out. I think both of those should have been taken care of by the dealer during the PDI process. I blame it partly on the fact that they did a dealer trade to get the truck for me and both dealers probably figured that the other one did all of the flashes and updates. I have had no issues since those two items popped up.

Overall I am really happy with the truck - other than the two minor issues and the mileage. I'll try to remember to post again in 6-9 months and provide any updates.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
The seats or lack there of no seats dodge took the seats out of old plymouths on the scrap yard to cut down on cost hence way cheaper trucks glad to see my dodge gone. wish ford had cummings

What's a cummings? :nono: Clessie would not be happy!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I picked up a 2011 GMC 2500 SLT LML short box in December.

It pulls awesome - the exhaust brake works great with the Allison. The jury is still out on mileage - mine has been pretty damn bad, but I have been towing most of the time in windy conditions.

I have had two issues with the UREA - I had a DEF Quality Error pop up, which they cleared right away. Then a couple of weeks later I had an issue with the DEF tank level sensor which was also cleared by resetting it through the computer.

Based on internet forums others had similar DEF issues when the 2011s first came out. I think both of those should have been taken care of by the dealer during the PDI process. I blame it partly on the fact that they did a dealer trade to get the truck for me and both dealers probably figured that the other one did all of the flashes and updates. I have had no issues since those two items popped up.

Overall I am really happy with the truck - other than the two minor issues and the mileage. I'll try to remember to post again in 6-9 months and provide any updates.

My 2011 isn't showing the best mileage yet either. My LBZ was better but it had mods and a tuner to help with that. I've been told that we need a "good chunk" of miles before the Duramax's show better mileage. I guess I'll just drive the sheet out of it.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
My 2011 isn't showing the best mileage yet either. My LBZ was better but it had mods and a tuner to help with that. I've been told that we need a "good chunk" of miles before the Duramax's show better mileage. I guess I'll just drive the sheet out of it.

I hope you are right. I'm not going to look at MPGs again until after the first oil change when I run a tank full of non-winter fuel driving down hill.

Then I will post a BS MPG number on the internet for all to see.....

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
I hope you are right. I'm not going to look at MPGs again until after the first oil change when I run a tank full of non-winter fuel driving down hill.

might as well everyone else does...

some of the guys claims on mpg's are just fookin funny!

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
2011 Chev

I am with you on the fuel hog issue. I went away from a 6" lift and 35's only to find that the milage got worse! I wanted to do a tuner and exaust but GM is looking too much at the history of the ECM for warranties now, so I am not willing to chance it. I have heard that a air box will improve milage 2 MPG. I think it was an AFE brand. I am at 3500 miles and hoping that the better milage comes real soon!

Last edited:
B

blackcat900

Nov 26, 2007
Chelan WA.
I have a 2011 f-350 6.7L and love it not one complaint thing pulls very well. Have a 31ft travel trailer 10000# loaded and the truck doesnt even know its back there on any hill I pull .

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I have a 2010 Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab. 6.7 non HO and the 6SP auto. I came from a 04 Ram 2500 with a 5.9L. The new Dodge rides a bit nicer, but not alot different. Found a big difference in lowering the tire pressure from the recommended 70 psi to about 55 and rides alot nicer now.

Cabinwise, it's tighter than my 04 ever was. Very quiet, less wind noise on cross winds. Some of the knobs feel a bit plasticy, but everything works as it should.

Motorwise, it's a Cummins. :) I honestly thought my 04 felt faster stock for stock than the 6.7L did. Once I added the Mini Maxx, deleted the DPF, and added H&S transmission tuning, the truck feels alot better, idles better, and have brough down EGT's by a considerable amount. Fuel mileage is nowhere near my 5.9L, but I did manage 20mpg coming back from Calgary this week in dead calm air doing 120km/h...but just barely. With a headwind going up there I averaged about 15.5-16. The last trip we took to Fernie had my 7x27 trailer with 2 machines and gear in it and we aveeraged surprisingly close to 15 mpg which I was very happy with. Pulling power is not an issue, the transmission software is a must once programming, it made the truck feel 10x better.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the truck. It's very comfortable to take a long trip in. The only knock is mileage, but they all seem like they are in the same ball park....and the cupholders are too close to the dash for my fav coffee cup.

Last edited:

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I've got a 2011 d-max with 19,000 miles now. Have pulled the crap out of it, it handles 14,000 pounds effortlessly. The trailers we pull have no brakes and the tranny, exhaust brake combo works perfectly. My mileage has not improved yet, but it is company fuel.:face-icon-small-win All in all I love the truck.
We did take out an allison in a 2002 last week at 195,000 miles, first time that truck has ever been in the shop in its life, other than for body work.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

I've only had my LML in the winter. Summer fuel mileage should be better as the ECM is not adjusting fuel ratio near as much. Amazing truck though. I don't regret that purchase so far.

8summit8

Dec 7, 2007
NE South Dakota
might as well everyone else does...

some of the guys claims on mpg's are just fookin funny!

Couldn't agree more, I have yet to see the 22mpg empty or 15mpg loaded pickup. My riding group is pretty diverse in sleds and pickups so I get to see and experience the good and bad. I have a 2012 F-350, I'am finally happy with stock power, stock mileage still isn't very good, 16-17 empty, 9-11 loaded. I still haven't hooked up to my work trailer which weighs 20k, I've only pulled my 27ft enclosed. The interior is nice, engine/road noise is low, the drivers seat dosen't go low enough, must be made for the 5'8 crowd, I can raise the seat so high my head is at a 45 degree angle against the roof. Wish it had an exhaust brake. We have a 2012 chevy in our group that I haven't been in yet, he should pull next trip. The 2011 dodge is a decent puller, he just put in the H&S tuner and full exhaust, he and I drove last trip so I haven't rode with it but he loves it, got 1-3 mpg better than stock.

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
I had a 2010 cummins and it was the biggest piece of **** ive ever owned it plugged the exhaust filter over the 4th up in the mountains and without cell service it straight pissed me off from the start. My 2011 raptor pulls my 3 place enclosed just as good or better and being a gaser. The fuel milage for the 6.2 isnt much different from it either. My mom has a 2011 ford 6.7 and it seems to be pretty good but I had a 2011 f350 dually all summer and it had just as many problems as my dodge did. After I went back to school Ford in Casper tightened the lugs too tight and the duals came off and hit a car on the interstate... everyone was ok but after that incident it REALLY started having problems from what my buddy told me. I guess every truck has its problems and seems diesels... you get a good one or you get a lemon

personally Ive never liked chevy but after seeing the problems with ford and dodge i considered chevy for a bit till i decided on the raptor

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
in the test they did they said the dodge had the most comfortable seats of all the trucks tested. whats strange is that I've always liked my dodge seats the best and thought the chevy seats were horrible. I'm sure it depends on your size but I've always thought the chevy seats were too low to the floor and almost no lumbar to be comfortable. I'm a little taller guy at 6'1 but not a giant at all. IMO anyone that says anything about seat comfort should be taken with a grain of salt as body size makes all the difference in the world.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would like the Dodge interior over the GM or Ford, but to each their own. I think you buy a Dodge for the Cummins. I know the new Dodges are much better than the old though. My Denali has Cadillac seats. I think they are amazing. Nothing like a hard day of riding and turning on the heat and power lumbar on my back leaving the parking lot!

M
Mar 7, 2008
I have F350, 6.7 diesel. It does have engine exhaust braking (comment above). I like how mine tows / drives / brakes. I have not had any drivetrain issues. For doing the work I want it to do, so far so good.

However, I have had lots of annoying minor things - interior noise is not good with road noise for what sounds like poor / flimsy door seals (youtube video repair for reinforcing the seals), leaking window seals causing whistle noises and had to replace one, windshield creaks and rattle / vibration noises coming from where windshield and frame abut especialy when highway speeds and when cold, rattles come from door latches and need silicone sprayed periodically. Rear window sliding window motor had to be replaced. Interior plastic panels do not fit flush and one has warped and bows outward.
For $55,000 plus I expected more and not as tight as my previous superdutys. I think the GMC may be better in this dept but hate to give up the slightly larger rear leg room in the crew.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I traded 09 leathered up Duramax for 2012 mega cab Laramie. Interior is far superior then my gm. Heated and cooled seats with heated steering wheel. Love the room. Stock this truck was a pos. with chip and exhaust a whole new truck. If gm comes out with bigger cab in next 2-3 years I will be headed back. Like the dodge interior/mega cab but I think the Duramax ally combo I liked a whole lot more

Premium Features