• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100 T So called Reverse

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
All it does is grind. Anybody have a fix for this yet? Getting a little pizzed at AC with these sleds. Bought 1100 t and 800. Belts lasting 100 km at best on 800. No reverse on the 1100. Bolts falling out. All I get out of AC is "we are working on it" The season is half over and my 14,000 sleds have not work 100% once. Call me crazy, but this is B.S.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Last time I was at the dealer they had a bunch of 1100 c cases apart trying to invent a fix because cat doesn't have one.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
All it does is grind. Anybody have a fix for this yet? Getting a little pizzed at AC with these sleds. Bought 1100 t and 800. Belts lasting 100 km at best on 800. No reverse on the 1100. Bolts falling out. All I get out of AC is "we are working on it" The season is half over and my 14,000 sleds have not work 100% once. Call me crazy, but this is B.S.

Hard to make the call if you are crazy or not, but it is BS. Even a first year build should have been tested before hitting the market to empty your pockets and leave you walking.

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Im a polaris guy so I know what problems are. This is bull crap. The non tested crap we spend big bucks on. Then they treat you like crap when were not happy when are big dollar sled is sitting half the season .They all need to slow down on all the new models till they have them right . Im thankfull I dont have a new sled with the problems so many are having .What a great time for a company to step up to the plate and build a good product z

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Mine works fine but, I've heard once the gears grind.....

they will have a harder time enguaging the next time. I would emagine the best fix is to knock off any burrs with a file. It might be better than new.

Owen

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
first time in reverse (not on a stand) and i stripped out the top gear. it would no go forward, just grind.
i would not use the reverse till a better fix is out there.
Mine was a late build.
never for minute did i buy these sleds figuring it wouldnt have teething problems.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
they will have a harder time enguaging the next time. I would emagine the best fix is to knock off any burrs with a file. It might be better than new.

Owen

Thats what the shop here is trying. Not an easy job at all as many of the splines are recessed.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
I have used mine a lot and not one issue. The entire machine works awsome. I thought they had a fix for the problem on the early builds???

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
Mine is a later build and has never worked. They still dont have a "fix" Just the parts to fix the case if you pile it up. I know this is the first year for these sleds, but this is unacceptable. I have a first year Nytro turbo for 4 years now....Never had it apart, and have used no more than 2 belts a year at 270 hp. 5600 kms on it and still going strong. more than I can say for my 2 cats.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
They don't all have the same problem.

-Early builds would occasionally get the reverse fork stuck in the springs, washers fixed that.
-Both early and late will sometimes grind. Mine did this a few times but works fine now.
-Some late build sleds have an issue with the shift detector being out of whack. On startup they beep as if they are in reverse.
-I had heard that a couple sleds were wired wrong and would actually be in reverse for real on startup, but this is not a common problem.

They have a fix for the first. The third and fourth are fixable with adjusting, they are working on the second. The sky sin't falling.

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
Is it grinding because of belt riding to high in sec. causing the shaft to turn as soon as it slips out of forward and trying to get into reverse?

T
Aug 8, 2011
Had the 11t in our group do this. Had used reverse a few times during the day with no issues (first ride) Then, used reverse and all it would do is grind when we put it back in forward. Tried turning the track while engaging, sping it in reverse, putting it in forward and turning the track. No luck at all.
So we started the tow out. 8 miles down the road he used the braked and heard it clunk (had the motor idling in forward for handwarmers) It engaged and we rode it out. Took the sled apart too put a different track under it that night and profiled the gear. Hasnt had an issue since.

I have too say, this really isnt that great of a design. It is destined for issues with a flat face cut gear with tiny splines.

T
Jan 1, 2008
My 1100t sled ground the gears in reverse just a little one time. So I tore the sled apart and discovered that my sled has all the new updates. What a poor design! They have all the wrong pivot points. The shift fork with the three gear teeth that does the shifting, is too narrow and creates binding on the shift fork. The washers with the springs hold this shifting fork in place, but there is not enough throw to get full engagement of either forward or reverse gear. Forward gear lacks .145" from a full shift and when in reverse, the gear only makes 50% engagement of the reverse gear. Now the reverse gear is only about 1/4" inch wide. That means that when the gear is in reverse, you only have about .125" engagement. I have a feeling that the engineers that designed this reverse system just graduated from grade school! With this system, you have high rotating mass because it uses two chains and four sprocket. Why didn't the engineers at least look at a Yamaha or some other sled with a mechanical reverse. The forward gear has very small splines and will not handle high loading. They should have build the two forward gears with a 1 to 3 degree negative draft angle so that forward motion would actually pull the gears tighter. Of course, this is what a good engineer would have done, not someone just out of grade school. They would have also used gears instead of two more sprockets and another chain! This truly is a system designed to fail. I was going to fix mine, but decided to remove all the reverse junk and machine a cone and bolt the forward gear solid. Otherwise, I know it will break! I am just glad that Arctic Cat didn't build the engine!

Last edited:
O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
Late build here, had it pop out of forward after using reverse , made me get stuck 4 ft off the trail. Other than that it has worked for me everytime

Premium Features