• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new to site please help

S
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there i am new to this sight and my friend told me to check it out that someone would know what the problem is with my sled. I just bought a 05 king cat 900 efi and the mods done are jaws can and air box mod. There is also a wack of suspension upgrades and a 2 1/2 inch track. I have the sled in the shop right now and my bill is sitting at 1100 dollars and they still don't know whats wrong with it.

Here is what is going on with it. When i start the sled up i starts perfect. I will let it run for roughly 15 minutes to warm it up and the sled with idle up and down. ( Not a big deal ) When i go to ride it and i punch the throttle the sled will bog like its running on one cylinder. If i keep it punched when its bogging it doesn't change just keeps bogging. Sometimes when i punch it it works fine but it will start to bog out again in the top end. The guy i bought the sled off of said when he parked it last year the sled ran perfect and never had an issue at all. What do you think it could be? I think the dealership is taking me for a ride and the next closest dealership is 20 hrs away

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Have you lost any coolant? I had an 01 mtn cat with the 800 engine. Was loosing a lil bit of coolant on each ride with very similar problems. Eventually the crank bearings went. I think my longest ride was 5 miles with these symptoms. What was happening is coolant was leaking into the crank case (somehow) and was mixing water and fuel which was causing the random symptoms. Always fine at idle but when sloshing around the coolant was being picked up with the fuel and caused poor lubrication in the bottom end and next came a rebuild. Good luck.

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Its cool that you let it warm it up for 15 mins. I like that, warm up is key!! :face-icon-small-hap
Sorry to hear that your having problems, sounds like a mess, I don't know enough about the King cat motor to be of any help, but I am sure someone on here will be able to help you!!!

Welcome to SnoWest

RYan!

Arcticatdan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Newport, WA
Is it throwing any codes on the ECU, start it and watch the red light on bottom of the ECU it will blink if there are codes. Check the Throttle position sensor on the end of the throttle body.

DPalmerM10

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2008
Crescent,OR
How was it stored, inside or out? Could be water in fuel or filters inside fuel tank. What has that dealer done to charge you 1100 dollars. If you bought it from them, they should make it right, if not, find what your being charged for.Sounds like a dealer I would check on. Dave..:face-icon-small-coo

S
Nov 28, 2011
The guy stored it in a shed. I will check that box and see if it flashing any lights. How do you check the throttle position sensor. This shop took me for a ride and i had to pay to get my sled out of there. On the work order they said they checked for compression, check the valves, fuel and filters, but then again who know if they did do this. Does it need to go in to get a scan or can i check it my self some way. Im new to arctic cats and its my first sled ever and im suppose to be going to the mountains on December 9th but until i figure my issue out im on hold. Im not a mechanic so if you could post what to check and how to check it would be great. And every time i do something to the sled i will also post it and tell you if there was any change. Thanks so much guys for all you help

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
i know on the older cat you can disable the tps.... this would prob be a better question to post in the 1m forum as that is really what your sled is. those guys will prob have more info.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Check the pipe and silencer for mouse nests. I have seen it more than once. A sled stored in a shed or even in a garage sometimes. Mice will climb in there and build a nest blocking the exhaust partially or completely.

1BIGCAT

Jan 15, 2008
Manitou Springs, Colorado
How hard is it to change this tps. Could you run me through the steps on how to change it and where to buy one. Are they expensive??

My dealer was talking with arctic cat about buying a new tps and they told him how to adjust it, maybe someone on here can tell ya, I do know if you have a low idle that is a sign that the tps needs adjusted.

S
Nov 28, 2011
Its not a low idle it idles around 1500 and idles up to about 2000 and back down to 1500. It does this none stop. Could it be poor fuel causing this??

06cfsnopro7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Rochester MN
If it does not flash you any codes I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it. Take it for a little ride and watch for fuel pressure to fall off when you punch it. You need to t into the supply line with a couple of barbed fitting and a t fitting for a gauge.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Check the pipe and silencer for mouse nests. I have seen it more than once. A sled stored in a shed or even in a garage sometimes. Mice will climb in there and build a nest blocking the exhaust partially or completely.

I was going to suggest that and the intake as well. Have seen mouse nests both places. It can idle just fine and as soon as you hit the throttle it moves and plugs up things up.

R
Nov 21, 2009
West Fargo, ND
I believe you cannot bypass the throtle position sensor (TPS) or your EFI system will not work. You can bypass the throtle safety switch (TSS) by removing the center electical connector in the handle bar wire harness (3-wire connector).

Premium Features