• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Hawk Track options

L
Mar 14, 2011
I am running a 2004 600 Hawk with a 121 track. I ride alot of groomed trails and the lugs fly off at high speed. My first track lost 21 lugs in my first year. Has anyone out there tried a track with smaller luggs? I am thinking 1" 1/4" full block or 1" 1/2" cut down to 12" wide. My question is how well will it turn without the tire shape of the stock track?

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
I ride trails all the time and I don't loose lugs. I would say dry rot also. Get the tallest lug you can find and then you can profile it and cut it narrower or maybe someone can sell you a hawk track.

L
Mar 14, 2011
I wish it was dry rot! This is my 3rd track and all have lost most of the tallest lugs! If you stay above 90 miles an hour for 3 or 4 miles steady they fly off. I was hoping to find someone who had tried a shorter lug track and see how well it turned! Thanks for your input!

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
You must have changed the gearing. 90 sounds a bit fast for the stock gearing. I went to a 136 on mine and have the newer style track that has more support on the lugs. It is insanely expensive to get this track from boivin. Maybe someone has one who went longer on their track

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Is the track a little loose and then at high speeds the lugs are hitting something somewhere in the tunnel? Could you be damaging the lugs somehow in another situation and then they finally come off during the high speed run? No one else has ever had this problem.

I've never run wide open for 3-4 miles, but I have over a lake for a mile or so and have never lost a lug. You will definately want the rounded edges if you are primarily a trail rider.

L
Mar 14, 2011
Please note 90 is an estimate while riding next to my 800 rev. I talked to the factory and they have had lots of trouble with lugs flying off the 121's at high speed. That is why the new track has reinforcements at the base of the lugs. But they do not make a new 121. I like the shorter track and would like to stay at 121. It is the weight of the lug and the centrifugal force as it accelerates around the rear wheel. All deep lug tracks over 2" have this problem. If you run a mountain sled at high speed for any lenght of time you start losing lugs.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I have a ran a 1" 1/2 flat profile track for a short period cause it was all I had at the time. Without the rounded profile it make turning on hardpacked more difficult. It fights you to start the lean and then when it finally does start to lean over you end up over doing it. Whatever track you use cut as much profile into the track as you can....

Premium Features