• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crank seal

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
How long might a sled run with a leaking crank seal? I've had my PTO side go down 3 times now in less than a 1000mi. with stock and aftermarket pistons, new crank has less than a 1000mi. also

Last edited:
S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
I'm confused.Sound like you have already answered your own question.

Same side 3 times I'd work down to the crank seal. But check some stupid stuff first in the top end before you split the cases. Clean the carbs, check for plugged jets, check your carb boots, check the base gasket, check EVERYTHING. But, it's probably a crank seal.

How many miles are on the bottom end? What sled?

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I figure it has around 1000mi or so. I think on my first set of pistons i jetted down to low and damaged the piston, on the second set probely bad gas on a warm day(April 1st) and today I pulled my topend and found the Locator pin is gone and the Ring had spun and the pin on the Mag side was all but gone. I was trying to get by with my original pistons (atleast 3000mi on them) till I had money for new ones.

Premium Features