• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

iqr trencing problems

O
Oct 19, 2009
ok i have a 600 ho iqr with a van am berg tunnel rmk 144 skid , 2 1 /2 track 3.0 pitch, stock iqr shocks all the way around, 23 41 gears , 54 gram wieghts in the clutch pulls around 78 7900 in snow on a hill, BUT it trenches so bad that its emmbarising !
I have done so much to this thing but i am outa ideas! Can anyone HELP!!

jan 2010 005.jpg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Sounds like you are running the stock skid. imo that is your problem.

edit: i read this on my phone and missed the rmk skid part.

as tblade said post pics of the mounting

Last edited:

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Post up some pictures of the mounting of your skid. It sounds like by your description you have a RMK 144 Skid? If that is so, I am guessing you have it mounted wrong. If Meathooker is correct and you just have a extended IQR skid, that is alot of your problem.

If you do have a 144 RMK skid, how are you running your IQR shocks. I beleave the lengths are different. If you have too much front shock pressure it will cause it to teter-totter and trench alot more.

What is your clutch engaging at?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Also you might want to lower your front end too. You might have it too high which would give you lots of ski pressure.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
If you plan on sticking with the stock front end, get some drop spindles to help your approach angle. If you can swing it get an RMK front end. On the rear skid, lay the front shock down and put your springs on soft.

If you're only pulling 78-79, sounds like you need to go to lighter weights. Also, what are you engaging at? If your engagement is too high it could lead to trenching.

O
Oct 19, 2009
i was thinking of laying that shock down, like to get lower spindles asap.
it is a 144 skid not an extented skid i will get pics in a day or two
thanks guys

O
Oct 19, 2009
here are a couple pics of the suspension. I am leaning towards the attack angle is just wrong for, well snow in general!lol
they just werent built to do what i want!!

sled 003.jpg sled 002.jpg

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
They are an awesome powder sled if they are set up right. If you had the stock tunnel I could tell you where to set your suspension. But I have no experience with a V/A tunnel. Maybe you could pry it out of winter but he was tight lipped about it when he was selling them.

I think the stock front suspension could be the culprit. I have rmk front and back and I say it handles powder better than the dragon.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
They are an awesome powder sled if they are set up right. If you had the stock tunnel I could tell you where to set your suspension. But I have no experience with a V/A tunnel. Maybe you could pry it out of winter but he was tight lipped about it when he was selling them.

I think the stock front suspension could be the culprit. I have rmk front and back and I say it handles powder better than the dragon.[/QUOTE

Whichever tunnel you're using should be an independent factor in determining skid location. I have a Holz (non-alpha) w/ 153 rails. According to Matt @ HRP, the front arm mount should be back 8.75" from the center of the driveshaft and up 1.5". You want to maintain an even plane in determining this 8.75back/1.5up from driveshaft center by measuring from the top of the tunnel down to the the driveshaft and maintaining that measurement as you work you're way back down the tunnel. The same theory applies to the location of the rear arm mounts. They should be 30 1/8" back from the front mount, in the same plane as the driveshaft. I'm pretty sure this is spot on as I'm giving my buddies M8 153 fits when climbing steeps, and I'm only running the 600, then again, I've got a MEAN drop and roll in mine...:)

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
get a set of drop spindles and soften up your ski shocks. Soften up te rear skid shock just a little and try it. Mine did the same thing when i first got it together and now its fine.

himarker

O
Oct 19, 2009
my front mount is 9 1/2 back from shaft center about 1 1/2 up and the rear mount is about 29 from the front mount.
as far as shoscks i have softened them up as much as they goon all shocks except front skid shock as its none adjustable. but they all are set up for racing so they are stiff to start.
looks like i need a serious drop and roll

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Thats about where mine is. my setup was a little different than lane But I don't have a rolled chaincase or V/A tunnel.

I think you should start with drop spindles or rmk front suspension before messing with the rear setup.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
What year suspension is that off of? To me it looks as though it has the non-adjustable ryde-fx front track shock on it. Which if I remember right, it was a very soft shock in its stock setup (spring). Just wondering because you say they are both valved stiff. I don't think you can change the valving on that shock (I am guessing 2006-2007 RMK 144 skid). Maybe you where referring to the front ski shocks. Looks as though the rear skid shock is not the matching shock that came with the above mentioned skid.

O
Oct 19, 2009
yes it is a 97 skid with a non adjustable front skid shock and the rear shock is the racer shock as is the front ones, I have them all set in their softest setting.
i am reluctant to change the limiter strap becauseit leaps and lands so nice but i am thinking i am going to try it and see!

O
Oct 19, 2009
just wanted to say thank you all , i laid down my front shock , loosened limiter strap,and borrowed a set of front shocks of a 900
AND it woke my sled right up !!!!!!!!
thanks to all :face-icon-small-hap

crooked lake 009.jpg

Premium Features