• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Ford 6.7L powerstroke 4

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
best engine? not hardly. they were smoking crack when they designed oil driven injectors! They dont like dust either..

No Diesel likes dirt! Kills them....

I have to say it but I love my sick liter (6.0L)! I have no issues with it and it runs like a top. Yes, its chipped and a cold air intake on it. Here soon, it will get a 4" exhaust on.

I do believe that this new 6.7L will be a great diesel and better then the 7.3 in the end. 7 years of testing it.

Funny how people forget that most of the diesel all have their issues when they first come out. I dont care if its Ford, Chevy or Dodge! :eek:

One good thing is, Ford isn't Govt owned! LOL Had to bring out the stir stick LOL

I
Nov 28, 2007
The best diesel engines I have every been around is the Detroit Series 60. I run a bunch of OTR trucks and that one is the lowest Maint, etc. The volvo engines are good if you like spending time in the shop, so are the Mercedes OTR engines. The cummins are better, but overall I have seen several Detroits go over 1.5 million miles with hardly any related issues.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
The best diesel engines I have every been around is the Detroit Series 60. I run a bunch of OTR trucks and that one is the lowest Maint, etc. The volvo engines are good if you like spending time in the shop, so are the Mercedes OTR engines. The cummins are better, but overall I have seen several Detroits go over 1.5 million miles with hardly any related issues.

How about Cats??? Those are killer too.... But that is all big rig stuff. I'm not buying a big rig and I dont think that anyone on this thread is going too. JMHO

S

sibola

Sep 16, 2009
B.C. Canada

Detroit Series 60, ya right junk no power. Cams wear out like they are made of butter. Put a load on 60 series and a old 350 cummins will kick it's ***. Cats first 550 or Cummins Red Top N14 celect plus. re the only 2 engines to have. Been running my RED TOP for 10 years, 24000 hours. Did a blow buy test this fall, 10%. Show me a 60 Series with thoughs kind of hours and blow buy results.

C

crestview

Dec 3, 2007
Kimberly Id
How about Cats??? Those are killer too.... But that is all big rig stuff. I'm not buying a big rig and I dont think that anyone on this thread is going too. JMHO

Too bad cat got sick of the EPA and is no longer going to make engines for trucks anymore. Looks like cummins is going to have the monopoly for the big rig engine market.

B
Jan 3, 2008
Series 60 junk, LOL

One of the fire districts north of us went from the series 60 to a couple of cats, blew both of them up on the approach. Series 60 might not be the most efficient motor out but it can run from Ice cold wide open, I know because we run the hell out of our ladder and engine at our station.

S

sibola

Sep 16, 2009
B.C. Canada
One of the fire districts north of us went from the series 60 to a couple of cats, blew both of them up on the approach. Series 60 might not be the most efficient motor out but it can run from Ice cold wide open, I know because we run the hell out of our ladder and engine at our station.

I know you can' but what does that tell you. There made like a old model T engine. Tolerance's what tolerance's you can shove your fist down between the piston and cylinder.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I'm just thankful that I don't tow anything real heavy anymore so I can go back to a gas engine in my next truck. You couldn't give me one of these new diesels.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I'm just thankful that I don't tow anything real heavy anymore so I can go back to a gas engine in my next truck. You couldn't give me one of these new diesels.

I agree it is really sad that after all those years of engineering that they (all of them) can't make an efficient, reliable diesel.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I agree it is really sad that after all those years of engineering that they (all of them) can't make an efficient, reliable diesel.

the engines are efficient and reliable, its all the emissions crap from the government that isnt

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
ha ha ya they're for Suvs and stuff like that. not trucks.

there 3.0 v6 is pushing over 400 fpt in STOCK form.

a 3.0 pushing 400 fpt. Thats a lot of torque from a little motor. And it still gets around 25-30mpg in a 5000 lbs + pound SUV.

yeah a little engine with big engine grunt. Id hate to see the numbers if vw made a 6.0L v8.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
It might sound silly to some, but I actually think weight is a plus in a diesel engine. Sure, you're having to push around an extra 200#'s, but in a truck that size, if the engine is designed well, it won't matter. In a diesel, I'm much more concerned about longevity, that's why I spend the extra $5K when buying it.

I still don't understand why Cummins is the only platform using the inline-six format. When all other issues are equal, (displacement, injection method, fuel map, the I-6 produces much more torque, and in a diesel application, torque is what you want.

I'm not trying to say Cummins is better than this, or that, just why are Ford and GM stuck on a V block? I thought Ford had a good thing going with that 7.3, the 6.0 turned out so well they made the 6.4, and that hasn't work so well, so now another one? C'mon guys. Anyone wonder why so many of the large diesel engines out there are I-6's? There's a reason.

PE

Its called emissions, thats why Ford went from the 7.3 to the 6.0 and then to the 6.4L. They where trying to stay ahead of emissions standards. The 7.3 was a pig on that and wouldn't cut it!

Same with Dodge! Went from the 12v to the 24v and now 6.7L.

As for Large Diesel Engines that are V's.... Try Detroit , Cat, Mack, Mitsubishi, Mercedes-Benz, VW, Deutz, MTU, Scania to name a few!

Including New Cummins V6 & V8,
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0612dp_new_cummins_v6_and_v8/index.html

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
Saw one at the auto show in Phoeniz. Open the fuel tank door, it has 2 fills, one for diesel, one for diesel exhaust fluid. Welcome to the wonderful world of urea injection. Cummins and Duramax will have it also.

pretty soon you will have to go to school to run one of these trucks. gonna stick with my 05

got a new Detriot diesel the other day... i was getting showed how you gotta dumped the emissions?!?!? every 10hrs are so or the truck will stall.

again ill stick with my 07 cat and let them deal with the new truck

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Update

We have a little over 14300 miles now and the truck is still doing good. Mileage is a little down at 16 to 17 MPG. Ford re-programed the transmission and it works alot better. Still some final pre production programing to be done yet but it is getting better. Power is still strong the production HP and torque numbers should be around 400 and 700. The cold weather starting is much improved. We havent plugged the truck in and it has started as cold as -36F so far without hesitation. No waiting for glow plug just hit the key and she fires up. Much better than past PSD's.

Last edited:
Premium Features