• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do 09 sleds really hold 15 ounces of Diamond Drive Oil?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My backordered Diamond Drive gasket finally showed up. I added a very thin coating of high temp sealant to both surfaces as the manual stated after putting the new double row bearing equipped assembly back into the planetary unit. The cover went on fairly well. I put in the screws and tightened all of them in a criss cross pattern but, I didn't quite go to the torque called out in the manual for fear of stripping out a screw. That screw just aft of (behind) the drain bolt hole is a SOB. I'm not sure if I got it tight enough, I got it as tight as I could with out disassembling the sled and now I am worried the case may be seeping a bit but, it may be that I tried to put the entire 15 oz. bottle of fluid in the Diamond Drive of my 09 M8 and it wouldn't fit. The oil ran down the front of the case and I bet I had a couple ounces dribble out of the case. So, I'd say my 2009 M8 case hold 12-13 ounces of Diamond drive oil, certainly not 15 ounces. Is that what you guys are seeing?

Thanks

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Huh? Maybe the vendor Arctic Cat bought the oil from overserviced the bottle?

The bottle I had was an Arctic Cat product and states "contents 15 oz", yet the contents of that bottle would not fit into the case.

Everything seems fine but, there's just no way that chain case took 15 ounces.

I guess I'll just chalk it up as something that makes you go huh...........:beer;

Is there any reason for concern (if indeed the case isn't leaking)?

Is there anything I should double check?

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
first two times i did mine i used the 15 ounce cat oil also, last time i used BDX 15 ounce bottle. mine always takes it all. Thats weird that yours wont

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was rushing to screw the upper bolt in the fill hole as the oil was running back out of the same hole. I'm sure I didn't leave anything in the gear box.
I do know, I had a fairly large puddle on the floor of the fluid that didn't fit.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
I was rushing to screw the upper bolt in the fill hole as the oil was running back out of the same hole. I'm sure I didn't leave anything in the gear box.
I do know, I had a fairly large puddle on the floor of the fluid that didn't fit.

Did you measure how much came out, cuz if you only got 12ozs out, that means 3 ozs of oil stayed in the case. Thats why u can only get 12oz back in. I have read several posts on (sticky hardcoresledder forum) about how to properly change DD fluid. You'd be surprised how oil much sticks to gears and all the crevices. If you changed the oil in sub 50deg, you prob didnt get it all out either. The best way is to pull the dd out completely and remove the cover and spray everything out with brake cleaner and fill oil with 15oz's. I've never done it yet, just read a lot about it so far!

It looks like you did remove cover though, so maybe the oil needs to be refilled more slowly to allow it to disperse in the case better! Just a thought!

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Huh? Is there anything I should double check?

yep...you better check for items in your drive that don;t belong in there that takes up 3 fluid ounces...you know...like the doctor leaving j clothes and scapels in a persons guts and sewing him up

M
Nov 26, 2007
Don't know if it matters, but on my 09 I tipped my sled onto the exhaust side. Then put in the 15 oz then put the fill plug in.
Then put the sled back on its skis, and removed the fill plug. And the oil was right to the bottom of the fill plug hole. Not a drop came out.

I figured some oil would go into the rest of the case/gears by tipping the sled on it exhaust side.

My cover did not seal up to the case without having to tighten the bolts in the criss cross fashion, to get the cover to meet the case.

The next day I called BD-X and he said to remove the DD from the chassis and take the cover off and reinstall the cover. I did that and the cover slapped right on, and meet upto the case, without forcing it. Or haveing to use the cover bolts. The tension on the jackshaft cause's the minor bind, that will not allow the cover to slap on.

It only takes about 30 min to remove the DD from the chassis.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Ive changed mine a good haf dozen times and used 15 oz everytime. If you couldnt fit more that 12 in you still had alot in there. Put the sled right on its side with the tunnel/ track on a milk crate, this keeps it level for pouring oil into the DD. The face plate bolts are to be torqued to 12 lbs diometrically (criss cross pattern).

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Tipping the sled on it's side is a great idea.

Maybe I just had an airbubble in the case? Who knows.

However, I have the sled up on a stand. Maybe I'll buy another bottle of the DD fluid and tip it on it's side after I lower the sled to the ground and add three ounces.

Premium Features