• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fog/driving lights

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
The headlights on my truck suck donkey balls :D, I've been looking at adding a light bar on the bumper with 4 lights. I have some cheap Hella's on my 02 dakota which seem to work well in heavy snow. I've been looking into Light force brand fog and driving lights, I'm wanting to try something a little different than PIAA, KC and Hella? Anyone have any experience with Light force? They have a big a$$ 8" round fog light that probably would give you a sunburn if to close ;)

B

BullHead

Dec 2, 2007
smithers bc canada
i love my light force, i have both the 240mm and 170mm, i have 8 pairs of them in total, and wouldnt buy anything else, if you have room for the 240mm 4 of them light up everything, you have all sorts of covers you can get, they are amazing lights imo

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
i love my light force, i have both the 240mm and 170mm, i have 8 pairs of them in total, and wouldnt buy anything else, if you have room for the 240mm 4 of them light up everything, you have all sorts of covers you can get, they are amazing lights imo

Damn, though's lights are big! Thanks for the reply:beer;

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
i dont know why I ever bothered with any other fog or driving lights other than the PIAA's ...

Absolutley %100 worth the price.

I would recommend the 510 or 520 Ion Crystal Fog lights. They provide ample light for winter driving conditions and dont blind the **** out of oncoming traffic like every other make of fog light I've ever seen in my life, which is a HUGE plus in my book.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
value

I've had PIAAs before (still have them on my jeep), and I think they make a fantastic product. I don't like their price. I currently have Hellas mounted on my Ram pickup. IMHO, I think the hellas are almost as good, but way less money, and if I had to buy lights again, I'd go with hella. BTW, the factory fog/driving lights in the lower valance on the Ram trucks are Hellas, and they work better than the lame headlights.

I built a bumper for my truck, and I designed it around 4 of the Hella lights, the center two are the 'pencil' or 'driving', and the outter ones are the 'fog' light pattern.

I'm interested and glad to hear the positive feedback on the other lights in the thread. My concern would be the idea that the larger the light diameter, while yes, they may be able to put out more light, they are also more prone to breaking from rocks and crap kicked up in the winter driving conditions. Do you think that concern has any merit? One of my fogs cracked last season, and while it still works, I plan to replace the fogs with yellow ones, so I'll have the headlights, the factory fogs (white), hella pencils (white) and hella fogs (yellow). That should give me plenty of light. :)

PE

Last edited:
B

BullHead

Dec 2, 2007
smithers bc canada
well good luck breaking the covers on the lightforce, i drive mostly dirt roads and dont even worry about my lights getting smashed, they can take it, where glass lense cannot

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
I was reading the Light force lenses are a poly carbonate, Baja tested, and unbreakable? I'm probably going to get a set of PIAA'a as well for driving on public roads. I think the Light force lights would really help on nights driving home in blowing snow, where all you can see is the marker on the side of the road.

B

BullHead

Dec 2, 2007
smithers bc canada
yea lexan, same thing, mine have taken a beating, and the ones on my jeep have taken even worse beatins, and never broke them, i've gone threw alot of 6inch bulbs until i bought lightforce, use them on the hwy and public roads, gotta love people that high beam me, i'm up in the arctic and havent broke any yet, smoked some big birds with them, grouse, owls, ravens, just a big cloud of feathers, haha, but nothing cracked, if your gonna spend the money, use them all the time and you'll love it, at one time i had 4 pairs of the 240s on one truck, thats 8 of the 10inch lights, i've found that 4 of them are just perfect, 2 pairs

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
I have two 8" Lightforce on the front of the ol' El Camino and they light up the road like daytime! Hooked into my hi-beams. The plastic covers are indestructable....I knocked one off in the car wash once...drove over it....discovered it was missing when I got home....went back and got it. One "tab" was folded over....pulled it straight and popped it on...still there after 2 years.

attachment.php

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I was looking for a set of driving lights for the front of my Avalanche because it always seems like sled trips happen at night (why waste good sunny riding time:D). Thanks for all the info guys I will look into these.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
Maybe I can shed some light on the subject..

I have been selling Piaa lights for several years. If you think that Night Farce can compete SORRY! There is a lot more to it than just the price.

After a few months of use the LF tend to loosen up on the back and turn vibrate lossen up etc. They do produce a good amount of light but it tends to stop there.

Has anyone looked at the new LED systems from Vision X. I have been selling them for two years now and the quality is comparible to Piaa. Vision X also sells HID's for a reasonable price.

I have reminded people several times about after the purchase. Piaa has a lifetime warranty on ALL systems as well as Vision X. LF has a warranty but it ends when you leave WalMart.

Take a look at the wiring on Piaa and Vision X you can see the quality.

Why should you have to buy the light then find a wirring harness then a switch?

I know I am opening up a can here but look hard before you buy. I know that Piaa can be a bit spendy but they are worth the money.

Piaa offers evey type of light for any condition. From the standard fog to the un-matched HID's. Get on the web site and look at the racing products they have lights in there that offer both driving and fog in one package.

Vision X leads the industry in the LED department. If you get the chance you need to check them out. A very compact system that puts out a light that ltteraly blankets the everything in it's path. The only draw back I have found is they do not produce enough heat to melt heavy snow off the face.

Don't go cheap you will regret it I promise you that. :beer;:beer;

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Last winter the police up here in B.C.& Alberta were giving out rather large fines 4 people driving with off road lights without covers on them. All kinds of criminal activities going on but this is what our finest are looking 4.
Also got 175.00 fine 4 leaving reciever hitch on truck after leaving trailer on mountain 2 go to town 4 new belt.
So B carefull out there.

Cheers,
Dave

B

BullHead

Dec 2, 2007
smithers bc canada
Maybe I can shed some light on the subject..

I have been selling Piaa lights for several years. If you think that Night Farce can compete SORRY! There is a lot more to it than just the price.

After a few months of use the LF tend to loosen up on the back and turn vibrate lossen up etc. They do produce a good amount of light but it tends to stop there.

Has anyone looked at the new LED systems from Vision X. I have been selling them for two years now and the quality is comparible to Piaa. Vision X also sells HID's for a reasonable price.

I have reminded people several times about after the purchase. Piaa has a lifetime warranty on ALL systems as well as Vision X. LF has a warranty but it ends when you leave WalMart.

Take a look at the wiring on Piaa and Vision X you can see the quality.

Why should you have to buy the light then find a wirring harness then a switch?

I know I am opening up a can here but look hard before you buy. I know that Piaa can be a bit spendy but they are worth the money.

Piaa offers evey type of light for any condition. From the standard fog to the un-matched HID's. Get on the web site and look at the racing products they have lights in there that offer both driving and fog in one package.

Vision X leads the industry in the LED department. If you get the chance you need to check them out. A very compact system that puts out a light that ltteraly blankets the everything in it's path. The only draw back I have found is they do not produce enough heat to melt heavy snow off the face.

Don't go cheap you will regret it I promise you that. :beer;:beer;

i've had lightforce for 4 years now, i've tightened them once and still in same place, i havent had to touch my lights in anyway, so really, dont be putting another large company down, and i drive my vehicles down bumpy roads, i dont slow down for them, i've ran my truck threw the bush making trail and didnt even worry about my lights, they are tough

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
i've had lightforce for 4 years now, i've tightened them once and still in same place, i havent had to touch my lights in anyway, so really, dont be putting another large company down, and i drive my vehicles down bumpy roads, i dont slow down for them, i've ran my truck threw the bush making trail and didnt even worry about my lights, they are tough

Ditto. Can o' worms opened, Spook. Glass lenses DON'T last on Alberta roads. Period. I've had LF of several work trucks and they were good enough that I put them on my personal truck. Never seen them loosened. Pia, KC, and numerous other brands all died on the Alberta Forestry Trunk road from rocks and vibration....not the LF. They were standard add-ons for all the Baker Hughes Drilling Fluid trucks and on all the Baroid (Halliburton) Fluids trucks. If you've ever seen a mudman drive and see how many miles a year, you'd know these lights are proven. (I used to do 150,000 plus km a year when in the field....4 sets of tires, 3 sets of brakes, 20 to 30 oil changes, 3 to 6 windshields....)

Premium Features