• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idaho OHV Gas Tax Meeting Results W/ Promising Outcome!

T

Trinity Taz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
We attended the meeting today in Boise for the "specially assigned task force" charged with the impossible job of digging funds out of our a$$es to cover Butch Otter's big unconstitutional mistake of pulling the OHV Gas Tax Fund. While we wern't able to attend the whole meeting and missed out on the public comment time allotment (apparently the task force members were resolutely opposed in their "task" at hand, knowing their efforts would be futile, and bumped up the meeting to hear public comments).
We were able to speak one-on-one to several representatives and were assured that their sole objective is now to REVERSE THE TAKING OF THE OHV GAS TAX FUNDS and reinstate the prior IP&R allotment.

On a side note, this issue has served to open our eyes to the disturbing news that over two-thirds of our OHV Gas Tax Funds are appropriated NOT TO MOTORIZED USE, but instead to non-motorized groups to provide and maintain CC Skiing, snowshoing and horseback activity venues. These groups have no organized taxation or charge basis of their own to compensate us for their use -save a measely $20,000 raised from Nordic Ski Park Pass revenues. (a scant amount compared to the more than $1,000,000 they consume of the OHV Gas Tax Fund)
This is an outrage, especially when you consider it is the very same non-self supporting groups that are the first persons in line to limit or eliminate our access to public lands.
Call IP&R and let them know THIS HAS TO STOP. These non-contributing and wrongly consuming groups had better pull their own weight for their own activities! Lets put on the pressure and get it done. If we can't get something accomplished for our own good right here in our very own state, how can we possibly expect to change things in Washington DC?

By the way, where was everyone today, anyway:)?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
By the way, where was everyone today, anyway:)?

in the rest of the state ;)

I agree completely with what you are saying above, I can't believe that!

Maybe the state should just start a Subaru tax to pay for that stuff?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
We have the same thing happen here in California.

Much of the OHV money goes to NON-Motorized use and it has to stop because they don't pull their weight.

The same happens here, they cross country skiers, horse back riders AND ROADS AND TRAILS LEADING UP TO THE WILDERNESS ARE MAINTAINED USING OHV money.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Yeah that seems fair. Pay for the people that try and get us kicked out...seems about right.
We're gonna have to put a stop to this right now, I'm sure every state does it too.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Yeah that seems fair. Pay for the people that try and get us kicked out...seems about right.
We're gonna have to put a stop to this right now, I'm sure every state does it too.

Sad truth is, unless we gave them the money, their would never have been a gas tax money. Non-motorized threatened to sink the entire thing. Don't worry too much, we get a lot out of this, plus IDPR is now funded by our group, that gives us a financial reason to exist. Don't piss the worker people off, they just follow the boards rule. Complain to the board.

By the way, I think the boat people get it the worse. They use the most gas. We actually do pretty well.

Last edited:
T

Trinity Taz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, the only problem with that comparison with boating is that by hurting the groomed trails system in Idaho our lawmakers have deprived us of a whole heck of alot more revenues (on-highway fuel tax, food, lodging, non-res. stickers, rentals, repair, guiding services, etc.)from out-of-state sledders than this state EVER sees from boaters. People don't especially come to Idaho for our boating, they come for our awesome snow, terrain and scenery.

Lets face the facts, a very large portion of Idaho's winter economy is based on accomodating sledders who come to Idaho to enjoy our trail system to get to where they want to be. Island Park snowmobile businesses are just holding their breath waiting for the chair to be kicked out from under their feet. This unlawful act of taxation without representation hurts ALL of Idaho. It is just plain out poor thought!

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Believe me, I've brought up this subject with IDPR and Political leaders and ISSA, and they all say it sucks, but that was the deal they struck. Make sure you remind the skiers about that, when one of them gets uppity with you. It worked in our favor during Pilot's Peak negotiations. Specially when it was pointed out that not only do the skier steal our money, they get free parking lot cleaning from IDT, while we have to pay for our parking lots to be cleaned. It made a big difference.

I think most of our third of the money, goes to buy 4 groomers every year. They give the 10 regions four new groomers every 10 years. Some of the money goes to good uses; like S&R.

All I asking is don't attack the IDPR worker level people. They try to do the right thing, there not against us. I've actually been pretty impressed with their knowledge and attitude toward all users.

T

Trinity Taz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Wade,
I realize it's not the direct fault of the IP&R staff; and that their superiors are the decision and policy makers within the bounds of their jurisdiction.
BUT< It still dosen't hurt to talk with affirmed politness with the staff about the issue because as employees of the IP&R they have a responsibility to the public to take up the issue with their superiors as well.

FYI: In case no one noticed, there is a lot more at stake here than just a few IP&R staff positions; some stand to lose their entire livelihood and home, and not at their choosing either.
To do or to let be an act that you know is wrong in fear of losing your employment is no way to serve the public. Look at the cowardice of the GOP majority and all the wrong they've let transpire and you'll understand.

With our diligence, we can make this issue work in our favor to reaffirm our respective right to the funds our tax dollars generate.

Premium Features