• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch won't come off with Water?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I have read on here several times that you can pull your primary clutch by filling the hole with water and threading your clutch bolt back in with teflon tape around the threads.

I was hoping to get some tips or have somebody point out what I am doing wrong cause I can't get it to work with water or grease. I understand the concept and know what my problem is but I can't figure out how to fix it. The issue is that the threads are not holding the pressure necessary to push the primary off. The threads on my clutch bolt look a little flat should I buy another bolt and hope that it will keep the pressure from bleading out? Everytime I pulled the bolt back out the teflon tape is no longer around the threads, is there something that would work better to seal the threads?

Any help or advice would be great.

C
Dec 2, 2007
vancouver,wa.
stuck primary.

your going to get a alot of different ways (opinions) on how to get your primary off. i've had 2 gcome off the hard way also ; tighten bolt down as far as your comfortable with and tap the end of the bolt with a hammer several times (light tap to fairly hard hits). if not lose with this method . next put ALITTLE HEAT (PROPANE TORCH) remember not to get the torch to close to the very bottom of clutch (dont want to blue it) and rotating the clutch as you heat it . it may just cut lose on you while doing this ,if not tap the end of the bolt again ,repeating light to hard taps. if it does not come off then your in for fun YOUR ON YOUR OWN. this method worked for me ! any way good luck w/your clutch. ride hard be safe.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
try the teflon tape that is used for gas fittings. It seals better. If the puller or clutch threads are pulled it does'nt seal good enough and you need to resort to the bigger hammer method.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
"I have read on here several times that you can pull your primary clutch by filling the hole with water and threading your clutch bolt back in with teflon tape around the threads."

Don't thread the origional clutch bolt back in, thread the clutch puller back in with teflon on it!

mbsieg

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Worland, WY
I have read on here several times that you can pull your primary clutch by filling the hole with water and threading your clutch bolt back in with teflon tape around the threads.
You cannot use your clutch bolt............... You must use a bolt or puller that threads into the CLUTCH. Not the crankshaft.......

R
Dec 9, 2007
Ditto on the clutch puller comments...

Another hint - instead of using water you can use (clean!) toilet paper soaked in water. Just poke little bits into the hole. When compressed the mushy toilet paper flows like thick liquid but doesn't run out of the hole. (This tip is THE ticket for pulling pilot bearings out of auto engine blocks - but should work for clutch pulling too...)

Good luck.

(Get ready now for the bad jokes about wet TP and holes...)

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If you don't have a puller, you can try a bolt that has the same threads as the puller portion on the inside of the clutch.....then do the teflon tape/water thing.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Never use water always use an oil based product if you want to hydraulic yer primary off. Not suppose to use primary bolt either. Use any oil and clutch puller and it will just pop right off. Ive used this method many times with out a problem...............

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I guess I better learn to read a little more carefully, just never thought someone would try using the retaining bolt to pull with.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I don't think some of you are understanding this concept of using water pressure to push the clutch off of the tapered shaft. I was not trying to use the clutch bolt to push against the crank. The concept is that if you fill the hole in the clutch with water and use teflon tape to seal the threads that the added volume (bolt being threaded into the clutch) will create enough pressure to push the clutch off. Being that water is an incompressible fluid when the bolt is threaded in it creates a lot of pressure given that the water has already occupied any volume (space) that is available.

What I did not know is that the threads in the clutch are different from those in the crank.

Premium Features