• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 HCR Ride Reports???? Anyone???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin

Well, i don't agree with that.

With 1200$ you have a boss seat (500$) and 2 font titanium springs (500), include taxes and shipping, you have your 1200$ right there.

With the HCR, you have a unique sled (1 of 500), wich is way nicer than the white snopro (sorry, but Cat is green, not white). Plus you have all the goodies stated above.

With everything i mentionned, 1200$ is nothing.

And that's if you paid MSRP. I paid my HCR 200$ more than the snopro.

:)

Fox shocks with titanium springs would not be an upgrade or a weight savings over the Floats so that would be $500 I wouldn't spend on a M8 SnoPro but I agree with you on the rest.

B
Fox shocks with titanium springs would not be an upgrade or a weight savings over the Floats so that would be $500 I wouldn't spend on a M8 SnoPro but I agree with you on the rest.

Ummm...Not arguing the value aspect, but titanium is approx 45% lighter than steel.

:light:Nominal density of titanium = 0.163 lbs/cubic inch
:light:Nominal density of steel = 0.290 lbs/cubic inch

Here is a link with some more specific comparisons of titanium and steel springs. I would say a titanium spring is a definate upgrade, not to say the value is there (see prices at the bottom), but a definate upgrade none the less.

http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/performance/why_titanium/ti_vs_steel.html

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
The M8 SnoPro has Fox Floats and Floats have no springs. I would be willing to bet if you put an HCR front shock and a M8 SP front shock on a scale they would be very close in weight.

B
The M8 SnoPro has Fox Floats and Floats have no springs. I would be willing to bet if you put an HCR front shock and a M8 SP front shock on a scale they would be very close in weight.

Good point. So what is better then? Why wouldn't they go with the float on the HCR. Just guessing, would the spring set up be stronger/better ride? I always understood gas shocks to be better than air shocks? Are the floats aluminum as well?

K
Dec 6, 2007

The sled is a hillclimb sled. So in my opinion, the've put the best shocks to handle big bumps and everything.

Floats would have been cheaper, so the used lightweight Zero Pros with titanium spring because its way better than the floats. Did you see any snocross snowmobiles running floats? No! Because they are not the best shocks, thats it.

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
The basic Float shocks ramp up in compression far too much as they go through their stroke.

Ti spring coilovers are a far better solution if you need all the travel and want a linear feeling compression stroke.

You will find alot of people who have moved away from the Floats and towards the coilovers again even if they have a weight penalty. The Ti springs minimize any penalty, and also minimize any degredation over time of the spring rate.

S
Sep 12, 2008
@ 10,000 Feet CO.
Truth about the HCR mapping!!!!

The mapping on the Race Department sleds IS different with out question. Reason is the RD sleds have NO waranty So.... AC can push the motor harder and stress it more, it is however set up for 91 oct. I have to mix up BC of the mods that are done to my sled. The consumer sled has different mapping than the RD sled so it is set up for 87 oct.

B
The mapping on the Race Department sleds IS different with out question. Reason is the RD sleds have NO waranty So.... AC can push the motor harder and stress it more, it is however set up for 91 oct. I have to mix up BC of the mods that are done to my sled. The consumer sled has different mapping than the RD sled so it is set up for 87 oct.

Where are you getting your info?

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have heard from some very reputable dealers that it does not have different mapping. I know the ones the racers get have the different tune but not the ones sold to the public.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
there is only one production US HCR model. If anyone has mapping that is different is was done after the sled came out of the crate. The reason the sleds sold through the race program do not have warranty is because they are for racing That is also the reason they are cheaper to the racer. Cat is able to sell them through the race program cheaper because they know the won't have to buy any warranty work for it. Not because the sled is different. If a drag racer gets a F8 to race; it will be the same F8 as everyone else. What happens to it after it's uncrated is another story. Heck even Tucker's sleds started out the same as the other 600 Sno Pros.

B
there is only one production US HCR model. If anyone has mapping that is different is was done after the sled came out of the crate. The reason the sleds sold through the race program do not have warranty is because they are for racing That is also the reason they are cheaper to the racer. Cat is able to sell them through the race program cheaper because they know the won't have to buy any warranty work for it. Not because the sled is different. If a drag racer gets a F8 to race; it will be the same F8 as everyone else. What happens to it after it's uncrated is another story. Heck even Tucker's sleds started out the same as the other 600 Sno Pros.

I think this is supported by the fact that to qualify as "stock", cat was required to build a minimum 500 units of the "same" sled. Whether different mapping would change those qualifications or not, I don't know.

N
Jan 22, 2008
Spent the day with a buddy with an HRC with turbo in Barlow Creek CO. That thing is amazing. A couple of guys with Revs finally came up and asked if the sled had been modded or if that guy was just that good of a rider. The difference was so incredible at 12,00 ft. He could reach the rocks at 40 mph and the rest of us (11 or 12 guys) were doing good to get even close on our best run. Several other friends are now looking to upgrade. My only personal complaint is that is steers really hard but it easy to pull over and steer with rider position.

S
Sep 12, 2008
@ 10,000 Feet CO.
Where are you getting your info?

I get my info from my sponsor the one who built my sled. I am also sponsored by AC and got my sled through the race dept. If you don't believe me that is fine. However when the race dept, my sponsor and a reputable R&D performance builder tell me that I have different mapping I would have to think that they know what they are talking about. If any one has different info lets here it.

K
Dec 6, 2007
Here's my ride report... :p

hcr-sunset.jpg

S
Sep 12, 2008
@ 10,000 Feet CO.

Where do you get this info? I have owned many race sleds over the years. Sleds that only came from the race department maniley 440 ski doos. These sleds would have different features like timing reterder switches and different carbs, different shocks and steering posts. The 600 sno pro that Tucker rides is not avalable to the public. You have to be a Team Arctic rider to buy one new.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Where do you get this info? I have owned many race sleds over the years. Sleds that only came from the race department maniley 440 ski doos. These sleds would have different features like timing reterder switches and different carbs, different shocks and steering posts. The 600 sno pro that Tucker rides is not avalable to the public. You have to be a Team Arctic rider to buy one new.

I believe I said that earlier. The 600 Sno Pro is a race resume only sled. It is still a production sled. Arctic Cat, Speedwerx, Tucker's other sponsors and team prep and modify his stock and modifieds from this platform. Cat also offers other sleds to Racers for other disciplines ie. Hillclimbing; through the Race Program. The main reason for the price difference between a race program unit and regular sale is the absence of warranty coverage.

I don't know about any other brands but one snowmobile similar to what you are talking about is the 2007 600 Sno Pro Modified. This year I think you had to get a kit for the 600 Sno Pro

http://www.arcticcat.com/teamarctic/pdfs/2008 2009 snowmobile race application.pdf

K

Klimbing Kitty

I believe I said that earlier. The 600 Sno Pro is a race resume only sled. It is still a production sled. Arctic Cat, Speedwerx, Tucker's other sponsors and team prep and modify his stock and modifieds from this platform. Cat also offers other sleds to Racers for other disciplines ie. Hillclimbing; through the Race Program. The main reason for the price difference between a race program unit and regular sale is the absence of warranty coverage.

I don't know about any other brands but one snowmobile similar to what you are talking about is the 2007 600 Sno Pro Modified. This year I think you had to get a kit for the 600 Sno Pro

http://www.arcticcat.com/teamarctic/pdfs/2008 2009 snowmobile race application.pdf

He doesn't get it Woody. Maybe he is going senile Supercat's profile says he is 79

Premium Features