• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in Extreme Cold Weather.....

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
When I ride the cold weather, i always worry about breakdowns and being stranded. Recently after a coworker almost died trying to walk home from a xmas party in the rural area, I am asking myslef do I have enough and or the right gear in my pack.

I am thinking;
two additional fleeces
an additional tarp / blanket.
More food / water.
extra matches.
hand warming patches.

this is in addition to a very complete pack.

Anything else you guys take when you brave the cold weather??

When temps are around -15 I start to consider if it's really worth going. Below that and like you say, certain situations could get really dangerous. After hearing of a few guys spending the night out in Gorman area a few weeks ago I have paid more attention to what's in my bag. An extra water bottle, matches, some energy bars, a ball of dryer lint, a candle, an emergency blanket, a dry base layer and extra socks, and hand warming thingies will be in my bag now when I ride. If I could find my head lamp I would take that too.

nate

K
Woke up to -24 here Kelowna today. Too dam cold for sledding!!!! You can dress for it and as long as everything goes well.....no problem. But try to survive a night in the bush at -30.......not my idea of a good time. Even though I hear freezing to death is a great way to die.:eek:

A

All4traction

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
B.C. people could never hack it in the prairies, haha. We would be lucky to see above -15 in mid winter.

I always carry wood matches in a few packs in different spots (on the sled, in my backpack in a few spots) that way if one gets too wet, there is still a backup.
-handwarmer packs are something im startin to carry, VERY useful
-extra pair of gloves, socks, etc.
-flashlight/headlamp
-firestarters
-LOTS of other crap

People usually bug me on how much crap I carry with me.

I now have a dedicated sleddin backpack, so i dont have to worry about going through my checklist all the time now

Last edited:
B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
B.C. people could never hack it in the prairies, haha. We would be lucky to see above -15 in mid winter.

I always carry wood matches in a few packs in different spots (on the sled, in my backpack in a few spots) that way if one gets too wet, there is still a backup.
-flashlight/headlamp
-firestarters
-LOTS of other crap

I now have a dedicated sleddin backpack, so i dont have to worry about going through my checklist all the time now
i get that lots too because of what i carry! i like to have basically an entire change of clothes(base layers really). toques, gloves, lighters, flashlight, space blankets, food, tampon, folding saw, first aid kit(small but thorough) and cards for the boredom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada

-flashlight/headlamp
-firestarters
-LOTS of other crap

I have been at Kakwa at 40 below, I'm assuming, it was warmer in PG when we got home, -35. It was a slow ride back to the truck. I always try to be prepared to spend the night if I have a breakdown. Back in the late 60's and early 70's if you didn't go out at -40 you spent half the winter in the house.

S

Shred Master

Mar 14, 2008
its truly not worth going when its below -15 i went in minus 30 on the weekend and i got frost bite on my whole ear it was rock solid and my brother got frostbite on his face my ear is still swollen right now too make sure you dress extra warm

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
been out several times when it's between -20 and -30C. just gotta dress the part. the worst part is the trail ride in, but on the hills it's usually pretty good. again, just dress appropriately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Dec 3, 2007
Vernon BC
On top of the regular emergency supplies....two of the most important things you can carry when its crazy cold are a good down jacket(compresses down small so doesnt take up any room) and a bivy bag...these 2 items can save your *** if you have to spend the nite;)

Last edited:

Tee-Kay

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I pack the usual gear like lighters, extra clothes, first aid kits and food but I have always thought that it might be nice to have hot water and if possible a warm meal...so this year started to pack this:

http://www.jetboil.com/products/cookingsystems

A side benefit of this is that you can not get a firing going right away this thing lights up quick and can burn for a few hours depending on the size of fuel cell you have.

I bought the PCS so size wise it is not much bigger than a large to-go coffee mug and the burner and fuel cell fit inside the mug.

Premium Features