• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 vs king cat

snow7

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
I am looking at getting either an 07 or 08 m-8 or an 05 900 king cat. Just wondering what the opinions are on these sleds. can get the knig for 5500 the 07 m8 for 6500 or a 08 m8 for 8000 which is a better buy. the 08 is new. others have 500 miles on them. Also what are the differences from 07 to 08 on the m-8. Thanks

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I don't know all the differences between the 07 & 08, but I would stay away from the King Cat. I just upgraded from a 1M chassis to an 06 M7. The King is a good old dependable sled, but you will take a beating riding that thing all day. Also resale on them is terrible now. Everyone wants the newer chassis. If you can afford it I would buy the newest one. Just my .02!

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
what to buy

I ride a 05 king cat but wouldnt buy one if I could get a newer chassis for not much more money. Dont get me wrong I like my king cat but it owes me nothing. Its paid for and keeps on running and runs good. I like to tease all my riding buddies about them being a couple feet higher on the steep for ten of thousands dollars more, they get tired of hearing it when I'm usually right there near them. and when the time comes and things are just right for the kk and it pulls ahead, I really rub it in! Not enough difference for me to trade and UPGRADE, but if I had no sled and was to buy a new one it wouldnt be a 1m/kk, it would probably be a m8. Just my opinion!!!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Sleds

Do you currently own a sled and if yes what?

I would recommend the new if you can afford. but if not go for the 07 M8 its a good price the king on the other hand is just a bit over priced unless its new. I have been selling low miles 05 EFI for 4500.00

Like what 1M800 said the 1M chase is harder on you is a lot more fiscal to ride and at the end of the day you will feel it.

snow7

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
currently have an 06 700 crossfire. and an 01 zr. Really like the crossfire. sounds like the m is probably the way to go. is it worth an extra 1500 for the 08 vs 07

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
The M chassis is so differant than the KK. IMO the rideability of the M chassis is well improved from the KK, the M chassis will make you a better rider, very user friendly. For the money your looking at you could get a low mile 06 M7 for less than what your looking to spend on the KK. and honestly, not much differance in the stock M7 and M8, I ride with guys who have both, and the seat of the pants power differance is not that noticable. Im sure these comments will stir the pot, but its just my personal opinion. Good Luck, its always fun picking out a new toy.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I just bought the M7 in my signature for $5100 with under 1000 miles on it.

D
Nov 26, 2007
north idaho
go m8

I had both an m7 and m8 and rode them back to back. The 8 has a ton more bottem end torque. I would say get the 07 m8 and buy a boss seat, slp pipe set, no sno's, and maybe a power claw track for it for the difference ($1500) and it will rip. But do yourself a favor and don,t get the kingcat. The m's work so much better- so you don't have to. my .02

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
$5500 for the king?????better have about 10k in extras for that price....
the m for sure....

Yeah the price is way too high on the King also. I just sold my 2004 1M 800 159" with a couple thousand in extras for $3850. Lost my a$$ but needed to get into a newer M chassis!

prolly the only king around worth that kinda scratch is mine:D or wittaker 727's. a stock king is good for about $4000.00 in good cond. sad really cause it is a heck of a lot of sled for that kind of $$ but the new skinny tall and light is killling it in rideability. if you are a big guy like me and can throw a sled around like a ragdoll, the king might not be to bad for less $$ if not, save your pennies and buy someones used pimpe ride for waaay less.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
prolly the only king around worth that kinda scratch is mine:D or wittaker 727's. a stock king is good for about $4000.00 in good cond. sad really cause it is a heck of a lot of sled for that kind of $$ but the new skinny tall and light is killling it in rideability. if you are a big guy like me and can throw a sled around like a ragdoll, the king might not be to bad for less $$ if not, save your pennies and buy someones used pimpe ride for waaay less.

So I'm just curious, what are the big diff's tween the 1M and the M chassis? I have a KK and am a BIG guy (6'5" 280 Lbs.) and can throw a sled around... But, saving energy and ease of ride is also something to consider? So what is it about the M that is different or better? The reason I ask is cuz I have to replace my entire rear skid (stabbed the track and broke it all up) and I'm considering putting in a M rear skid to my my 2004 KK. Is that the only or main diff tween the two chassis? What gains would that give me?
thanks.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
So I'm just curious, what are the big diff's tween the 1M and the M chassis? I have a KK and am a BIG guy (6'5" 280 Lbs.) and can throw a sled around... But, saving energy and ease of ride is also something to consider? So what is it about the M that is different or better? The reason I ask is cuz I have to replace my entire rear skid (stabbed the track and broke it all up) and I'm considering putting in a M rear skid to my my 2004 KK. Is that the only or main diff tween the two chassis? What gains would that give me?
thanks.

The rear skid is not going to make it handle like a M chassis. The whole sled is completely different. (The engine is in backwards) Changing the rear skid might be an improvement over stock, but it will not make it an M sled.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
The rear skid is not going to make it handle like a M chassis. The whole sled is completely different. (The engine is in backwards) Changing the rear skid might be an improvement over stock, but it will not make it an M sled.

Ok, thanks. So if I can find a good used M skid, I might drop that in instead of the stock KK one. Guess it will depend on what I can find?
thanks

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Ok, thanks. So if I can find a good used M skid, I might drop that in instead of the stock KK one. Guess it will depend on what I can find?
thanks

I'm not sure if it will "drop in"? I have never tried this swap. So I'm not sure what kind of improvements you would see. Good luck! :beer;

thanks.

the m's are taller, skinier, lower center on th rotating mass, less mass, better geometery, narrower tank, rider forward.....really different. think about trying to down hill ski with your feet 3 feet apart vs together......turning is a chore. try to flip a gyro (motor) that is on the ctr line of the pivot (m) or one that is above it (king). it all makes the m easier to ride. BUT I myself don't mind working a little harder for what I get for my $$$

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
thanks

Basically what I'm told is that it will need a couple spacers up front (the 1M tunnel is about an inch wider than the M) and that should be it...? is suppossed to give an improved ride, handling etc. and will also eliminate the need for the drop brackets and the rail stiffeners (if I use an 07 or later M skid) I've never done it either, so if anyone has any other input, that would be great!
thanks

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
the m's are taller, skinier, lower center on th rotating mass, less mass, better geometery, narrower tank, rider forward.....really different. think about trying to down hill ski with your feet 3 feet apart vs together......turning is a chore. try to flip a gyro (motor) that is on the ctr line of the pivot (m) or one that is above it (king). it all makes the m easier to ride. BUT I myself don't mind working a little harder for what I get for my $$$

ok thanks,
that all makes sense. for a big (cheap) guy like me, sounds like I will be fine with the KK!
thanks

Premium Features