• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E-VES cable causing low RPM in Axys chassis (at any mileage)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
102919096-GettyImages-117046657.530x298.jpg

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Holding valves open

I've had a bit of experience with the exhaust valves on the axys. I also thought that in the moment a guy could wire or zip tie the valves open. Apparently this is a dangerous idea as the stock mapping is very sensitive to air flow and rpm. With the valves manually wide open the ecu still fuels according to what it thinks the valves are doing and at most throttle positions below 6000 rpm the mixture would be dangerously lean. Or so I've been told.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Bringing this back to the top, my exhaust valve cable busted on me this last trip. 2016 Axys 800, has about 1900 miles on it. RPM dropped to about 7-7500rpm. Hoping my local dealer has a cable in stock. Does it have to be relearned if its a new cable? There is no adjustment in the cable so I am not sure what the relearn will do. Maybe it just verifies the servo hits the 3 positions.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Bringing this back to the top, my exhaust valve cable busted on me this last trip. 2016 Axys 800, has about 1900 miles on it. RPM dropped to about 7-7500rpm. Hoping my local dealer has a cable in stock. Does it have to be relearned if its a new cable? There is no adjustment in the cable so I am not sure what the relearn will do. Maybe it just verifies the servo hits the 3 positions.

According to service manual, re-learn is required with cable replacement.
In practice, I have found that a code will be thrown about 30% of the time with cable replacement-- I've replaced about 15 cables between mine and customers.
I keep a spare cable in the shop.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Same boat, I dropped my sled an hour ago at my dealer to have my cable replaced.

Stuck at 7500rpm max and I removed the valves and playing with the actuator doesn't move **** in there.

100h, no milage

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Ya none of my dealers have the cable in stock so I had to order it. I'll try just replacing it and if it throws a code then I will get the relearn done. Mine pulled out of the crimped end where the t plate is on the valves like most of the other failures.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
In practice, I have found that a code will be thrown about 30% of the time with cable replacement-- I've replaced about 15 cables between mine and customers.

Indeed it sure does- and always have spare hangin in th shop also Murph- Generalyy I have seen also you can get away with it for a few rides then..you throw a code.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

I must have a unique sled. I have not needed a relearn for any E-VES cable change. The whole E-VES system, except the actuator, got changed when I installed a BMP 860, which require the valves to be cut to fit the larger bore . I had the original valves and cable stashed for when I had to put the 800 back in, which I did last season when installing a BD Sidekick Switch. I did replace the original cable with a new one, no relearn done and no codes thrown. This maybe due to my cable not being stretched beyond service requirements or breaking a cable. FWIW, I have swapped out every item on the list in the service manual that suppose to require a E-VES relearn except for the E-VES actuator.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
i measured the throw in my cable today and i found it to be 6-8mm short of spec. glad i checked this thread. it may be the reason i havnt been sustaining rpm.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
FYI, I replaced the cable with a new one, took the valves apart and cleaned them while I had it apart. Re-assembled the parts and it ran like a champ, no check engine light. I did not take it to the dealer to do a relearn so hopefully it will stay that way.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I'm bringing this thread back to life because of an issue I'm having. The engine falls on its face at 7000rpm. At this rpm the E-VES actuator starts opening and closing rapidly. What would cause this?

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I'm bringing this thread back to life because of an issue I'm having. The engine falls on its face at 7000rpm. At this rpm the E-VES actuator starts opening and closing rapidly. What would cause this?
I'll answer my own question. The cable was broken. I can only guess that the actuator was cycling because the rpm was surging, putting it above and below the rpm actuation point.

Premium Features