• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

silber turbo with Doo thermostat

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
anybody done this ? got any pics of the install ?
i've read all through the "$28 fix" and there's no pics of a silber setup
the boondocker lay out is different
silber runs the head to cooler line the other direction over on the clucth side.
i may buy a thermostat kit and figure out the best routing
just thought i could save myself/others some headaches if someone already figured it out
thanks

let it snow

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
thanks tony your the man !
what i'm wondering is i would need to reroute the coolant line back to the mag side
or figure a way to mount it over on the pto side kinda over the pto throttle body ? i'm probably gonna order a kit from Rogers and start buy checking
clearances

there's a pyle of snow headed you way ! tear it up for us rain hounds in Oregon :face-icon-small-sad ha ha

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
so instead of tying into the head line i could run that line to the bottle ?
did i understand that correctly ?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Wellfed- PM'd ya. Think we're both looking for the same thing.

Can someone confirm if my diagram of lines is correct? Pardon the poor drawing skills....

Left side it T'd into the coolant return line. Right side of the drawing is tied back into the coolant bottle (vs. T'ing into the return coolant line).

Please correct wherever I'm wrong...

20141221_103749.jpg

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
I run a 14 silber set up with the doo stat. It sits between the gas tank and the silicone intake just left of the brake side tunnel heat ex changer pipe. Works great. I ran the head line to the top if the doo stat. I will try to get some pics tomorrow AM.

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
Sorry i didn't see your pic before i submitted. But yes the left pic with the T in is what i did. I would suspect that going right to the the coolant bottle would do the same. But it would take more effort to make the 90 degree turn to go to the bottle from were the doo stat is located. (hose and or fittings) Not to mention dealing with removing the coolant bottle to keep plastic shavings out of the cooling system. I should be back at the shop early in the AM and will post a pic or 2 to try to help.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
SSE thank you :face-icon-small-hap
please take a bunch of pictures ! ok at least a few ha ha

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I run a 14 silber set up with the doo stat. It sits between the gas tank and the silicone intake just left of the brake side tunnel heat ex changer pipe. Works great. I ran the head line to the top if the doo stat. I will try to get some pics tomorrow AM.

What advantage did you see from the doo stat?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Wellfed- PM'd ya. Think we're both looking for the same thing.

Can someone confirm if my diagram of lines is correct? Pardon the poor drawing skills....

Left side it T'd into the coolant return line. Right side of the drawing is tied back into the coolant bottle (vs. T'ing into the return coolant line).

Please correct wherever I'm wrong...

You may have just drawn it the way you did for simplicity, but...
The only thing I see is the inlet to the Doo stat is the 1" side barb on the stat. When open it flows 90 degrees out the other 1" barb. When closed it flows 90 degrees the other direction and out the 3/4" barb. The auxiliary 5/8" barb can be used or plugged (most often plugged).

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Loudhandle- thanks for clarification, it was both simplicity and ignorance. I was under the wrong assumption that it flowed straight through, it doesn't. Pic was hoping to capture the 'correct' way to be plumbed in simply because I'm not an artist. ;-)

Makes sense now that you explain how water flows in/out of the thermostat, just makes plumbing a little more difficult. I'll need more coffee before I start thinking....

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
What advantage did you see from the doo stat?

Much more consistant and lower operating temps. I cant remember the exact numbers from last season but It stayed in the 120 range a lot more. I never said anything to my riding buddies about this part because it is a... "Ski doo" part. :face-icon-small-coo But when we traded sleds on the hill one day they were all wondering why my sled didn't get as hot as there machines did. This also helps stop cold shock to the engine from breaks during the day. Like when you stop to rest or to have a sandwich. Engine is warm but coolant in the ex changers is very cold.

Another important note on this set up is to remove the stock thermostat but keep the seal off of it and find a washer or shim the same size as the old T stat so you can slip the washer inside the rubber seal to help the seal hold shape to seal up the OEM T-stat housing.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
GREAT ,AWESOME AND WONDERFUL :face-icon-small-hap
thank you

any chance of a couple pics on the bottle/turbo side ?
the thermostat fits back in there nicely did you have to wrap the hose by the turbo for heat protection ?

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
There is a better option for the plug out there. Its like a vacuum cap. This was what i had, its not perfect. There is no threads in the T stat but i have a pipe thread tap and used a pipe thread plug. The hose clamp was to make sure i did not over tighten and crack the T-stat. The T in the Coolant hose is just a heater hose fitting from a parts store.

Doo stat T.jpg Doo stat T enhanced.jpg

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
nice! thats a pretty clean install
i can't tell in the pics but make sure that hose is safe from rubbing on the jackshaft

Last edited:

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I had previously installed the Doo thermostat on my naturally aspirated 11 Pro. I am currently installing a new Silber Internal Wastegate, oil tank delete, ECU reflash kit. I wanted to keep the Doo thermostat with this kit, so a revamp was in order. The hose that Silber supplied for the head to cooler line was to short to fit anyways and left very little room for fuel lines, so I tossed that line aside and came up with a setup using left over pieces of hoses that I have accumulated over the years. This is what I came up with. It actually fits in there pretty good so I thought I would share. ( Pay no attention to all of the other hoses, lines, wiring etc. It's a work in progress that ain't finished yet)

20151031_172841_resized.jpg 20151031_174313_resized.jpg 20151031_174340_resized.jpg 20151031_174354_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features