• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Truck - Help

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Ok guys here is the truck I went with.

photo20120816100839am.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo20120816100813am.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo20120816100714am.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo20120816100918am.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
That is a nice truck. I wish I could go to a long bed as well. If Dodge had an interior close to that in '06 I would have bought a Dodge then. I like the 1 ton/long bed combo you went with, but that is one long truck with the MegaCab!

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
That is a nice truck. I wish I could go to a long bed as well. If Dodge had an interior close to that in '06 I would have bought a Dodge then. I like the 1 ton/long bed combo you went with, but that is one long truck with the MegaCab!

I went with a long box on my last Dodge quad cab and will never go back to a shorty. This truck is longer than my 06 so the turning radias will be worse but the long box is a more versatile truck. I think I will put a 4" lift and 35" on this new one, should look good. Especially with my Pro and my sons Rev on the deck in the back.:rockon:

Last edited:

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
Nice looking truck! white and a longbed. Only thing I hate about my mega is the dang bed. If only I had 6k to blow on a longbed conversion.

Also someone stated how the dodge rides so rough, I've heard some good shocks make a huge difference. Gonna try some bilstein 5100's on mine.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Nice looking truck! white and a longbed. Only thing I hate about my mega is the dang bed. If only I had 6k to blow on a longbed conversion.

Also someone stated how the dodge rides so rough, I've heard some good shocks make a huge difference. Gonna try some bilstein 5100's on mine.

Thanks, I here ya on the mega and long bed, wish you could have the best of both worlds.

Let me know how the shocks work out.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

Why spend $6k on a long bed conversion? Wouldn't it make more sense to trade it in and use that $6k toward a new truck with the long bed?

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Why spend $6k on a long bed conversion? Wouldn't it make more sense to trade it in and use that $6k toward a new truck with the long bed?

Dodge does not make the Mega Cab with a long bed, I guess you could go to a different brand.

2012ram25004wdmegacab16.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
S

skooter

Dec 11, 2007
Montana
Nice looking truck was wondering what mpg you were getting? Buddy of mine just bought one and is only getting 11-12 mpg.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I didn't see any advantage at all to buying the "Mega Cab" and giving up 1'8" of bed space to gain about 3" of leg room in the back.

I'm 6'4" and when I test drove the couple Dodges I did before I wound up buying one, I set the drivers seat up for me, then immediatley hopped out got in the back .... and slouched down ... and that was the regular crew cab. THe mega cab, yes, I had more leg room, but I really didn't need it, so I figured somone shorter than me wouldn't either.

If you routinley take a basketball team snowmobiling, yeah, get the megacab .... otherwise you're just giving up usable bed space IMO.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I didn't see any advantage at all to buying the "Mega Cab" and giving up 1'8" of bed space to gain about 3" of leg room in the back.

I'm 6'4" and when I test drove the couple Dodges I did before I wound up buying one, I set the drivers seat up for me, then immediatley hopped out got in the back .... and slouched down ... and that was the regular crew cab. THe mega cab, yes, I had more leg room, but I really didn't need it, so I figured somone shorter than me wouldn't either.

If you routinley take a basketball team snowmobiling, yeah, get the megacab .... otherwise you're just giving up usable bed space IMO.

I agree 100%. Thats why I went with the long bed crew. After looking at the pic you posted, I started to warm up to the new Dodge. I think we have pretty much the same truck other than color.

I hope the fuel economy is better than 11-12mpg. DM you said in your first post that you were getting 17.7-20mpg, I can live with that.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

I never knew that Dodge shortened the bed on the mega cab. I wouldn't do that either.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I agree 100%. Thats why I went with the long bed crew. After looking at the pic you posted, I started to warm up to the new Dodge. I think we have pretty much the same truck other than color.

I hope the fuel economy is better than 11-12mpg. DM you said in your first post that you were getting 17.7-20mpg, I can live with that.

Yes, the first "long trip" i took with the truck was with maybe ~1500 miles on the clock so the motor hasn't even really gotten broken in yet .... I put my dirt bike in the back, and on the way up to Kremmling via I70 I averaged 17.7 mpg according to the computer .... On the way back down, I averaged 20.0 flat .... Its going to be interesting to see what the mileage is like pulling the enclosed this winter, but I'm expecting somewhere around 11-13 mph with it depending on speed and terrain ..... which should be about twice as good as I was getting with the same trailer and my old big block :) .... I hope my prediction pans out.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I never knew that Dodge shortened the bed on the mega cab. I wouldn't do that either.

Yeah, its like a 6'3" be instead of a full "short bed" 6'6" bed .... I think the regular dodge crew cabs all have either a 6'6" bed or an 8' bed, its just the mega cab with the 6'3" bed ...

Sort of goofy IMO.

IDK, I would be willing to bet that Dodge phases the mega cab out and just keeps building a bigger crew cab and gets rid of the gimmicks. The newer Dodge crew cabs seem to me to be on par with the Ford SuperDuty crew cab.

edit:

I stand corrected (sort of).

There are only two bed choices, a 6'4" bed and the 8' bed ... so the crew cab and mega cab "short bed" in Dodge trim are 6'4", which is a 2" shorter bed than either the GM or Ford "short bed" in the HD truck lineups.

At any rate, I always seemed to come up 3" too short with my 6.5' bed on my Chevy, so going even shorter for me wasn't a good choice, and the crew cab had plenty of room for 4 full size adults as it was .... IDK, my $0.02.

Last edited:
B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
If you guys are having concerns or hating your fuel mileage in your dodges, get yourself a Smarty Jr. programmer. Does not void warranty and can leave all your emmisions on with this one. Increased mileage on my dads 2010 dodge from 18-19mpg on highway to 20-22mpg empty. Towing 27ft enclosed was 13-14mpg now right around 15mpg, and it actually has power now. This programmer is the real deal from my experience and is super easy to install on your rig.
Kinzer

Premium Features