• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Denali HD vs King Ranch Super Duty....................

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I understand the whole paying a little more to buy from a better dealer. The thing is none of them have ever done much for me to stand out and make me feel like I am more then a number. I feel I did get the good deal from the better dealer. It is where I have bought from before so I do know they are good. I guess I have not found that dealer that is not full of it most of the time.

I am just not a fan of dealing with most of them. They make buying a truck such a pain. I am almost positive they try and keep you at their dealership for as long as they can wasting your time so you can not go to another dealership and find a better deal. They hope you just get tired and give in, drives me crazy. I don't need to sit in your fancy dealership, stare at the wall and drink free water while you sit in the office with the manager telling each other jokes. Tell me the price of said truck and if I like the price I will buy it. Simple as that!
Me "what is the price of the truck?"
Them "what do you want to pay?'
Me "what is the price of the truck?"
Them "what do you want your payments to be?"
Me "what is the out the door price?"
Them "what can we do to sell you this truck today?"
Me "TELL ME THE PRICE THAT IS WHAT!!!!"
Them "what do you want your payments to be?"
Me "BYE"
Them as I am walking out the door "You better hurry and make up your mind that is the last one in the country like that for that price."
Me "YOU NEVER TOLD ME THE PRICE!!!!"

I go to the next dealer and they have 10 just like the one that the dealer above said was the last one in the country.
LOL

Hahaha

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Oh and one other thing lets say I buy from another dealer and need work performed at the dealership with the better tech. I go in and they say well you did not buy the truck from us so we are not going to take as good of care of you as if you had bought from us, guess what I WILL NEVER BUY FROM YOU!!! Treat me good even if I did not buy from you, when it comes time to buy again you will be first on my list. I get so tired of the you better buy from us or when you need help we wont give you as good of service. THAT IS BS. If I remember right the dealership is getting payed by the manufacture to perform the work so either way you are getting money. I would want you to come to my dealership even if you did not buy the truck from me.

There is nothing wrong with "customers" getting front of the line treatment.
If you bought it elsewhere, you cannot expect to get in before those who bought there.

That's not punishing the guy who bought elsewhere, it's rewarding the loyal customer.
Should go without saying.:face-icon-small-dis

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Also, if I'm dealing with "Joe", I expect Joe to work the deal front to back.
I don't want Joe running to his manager for suck his dink while I sit & wait.
If Joe cannot appraise my trade & negotiate a price, then Joe is not a salesman-Joe is a greeter.
If Joe is just a greeter......then F___ you Joe! You are of no use to me!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Exactly. The first salesman I meet that doesn't pull that **** with me has a VERY high probability of being the one I buy the truck from, providing its not just a total ripoff.

Well .... Talked to a salesman at Dave Smith today.

They cut a little over $10k off the price of the truck, I think overall it'd be a pretty good deal.

I think I'm gonna go look at a local dealer that has the same truck this weekend, if they can get within $1000 of what Dave Smith quoted me I'll probably just buy it locally, if not, guess its gonna be a 14 hour haul to Idaho to pick a truck up in 2 weeks :)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
14 hour drive?
Must be around 800 miles?
Each way= 28 hours & 1600 miles
$.50/mile=$800
$20/hour=$560
Total= $1,360
Not having a local dealer in your corner.....can't put a cost on that.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Also, if I'm dealing with "Joe", I expect Joe to work the deal front to back.
I don't want Joe running to his manager for suck his dink while I sit & wait.
If Joe cannot appraise my trade & negotiate a price, then Joe is not a salesman-Joe is a greeter.
If Joe is just a greeter......then F___ you Joe! You are of no use to me!

That's not how it works. Joe does not have the ability to appraise your vehicle. There is usually 1 maybe 3 people at a large dealership that are there to appraise trades. A person that Mis-appraises a trade can literally cause that dealer to fail. It's not an easy job.

Also, salesmen are there to find you a vehicle, show you features, "sell the vehicle" to you. It is a sales manager job to make the price right. A salesman has pretty much zero say in the price.
They usually know more about vehicles than a manager but they don't generally work the financials of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
That's not how it works. Joe does not have the ability to appraise your vehicle.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe certainly does do it all at the traditional small town dealers.
I've been "Joe" at a car dealership, I am "Joe" ay a marine dealership.
Trust me, people appreciate not getting bounced around from sales clerk to manager to F&I to service etc.

I understand that the large stores lack the ability to operate in a traditional manner.
That's why I will not buy there at any price.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
14 hour drive?
$.50/mile=$800
$20/hour=$560
Total= $1,360

Not disagreeing with you but just an alternative perspective. he is near denver and dave smith offers a free shuttle service from spokane airport to their dealership (I know this because I priced one out there as well).

One way flight there would be around $200.
It would actually be about 1000 miles one way to come back.
So 15mpg average (worst case scenario) would be 50 gallons.
50 x $3.89 (my price here) for diesel =$194.50
sell your trade in at home.
whole transaction would take about a day total. Probably spend a night in a hotel though. $60

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
14 hour drive?
$.50/mile=$800
$20/hour=$560
Total= $1,360

Basically my time is free for this. So figure 800 mi / 12 mpg x 3.75/g .... $250 up there .... Figure new diesel will probably average 15 mpg back .... so 800 mi / 15 mpg x 4.00/g ... $213 back .... so total cost of the trip would be <$1000 probably including some food too.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'd rather blow my brains out than take a flight, spend night in a hotel then drive 14 hours to pick up a truck in the middle of summer but that's just me. Tell the local guy you're ready to buy (today) if he beats the deal (or meets it, or whatever you're comfortable with)....can't imagine he won't do it, particularly if you would take one in stock.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'd rather blow my brains out than take a flight, spend night in a hotel then drive 14 hours to pick up a truck in the middle of summer but that's just me. Tell the local guy you're ready to buy (today) if he beats the deal (or meets it, or whatever you're comfortable with)....can't imagine he won't do it, particularly if you would take one in stock.

Yeah. I thought about it. I agree.

Bought a Dodge from a local dealer today :D

I'll have to call the Idaho dealer and cancell my deposit tomorrow (it was refundable) .... They came within $1200 of the other dealers price and it saved me 28 hours of driving.

Premium Features