• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's been a little lonely in the ol IM forum

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
First stock bored engine to beat my Bomb was an E-tec.....with a 174 in a Carbon Fibre chassis riding on an EZ Ryde.....so she ain't getting parted out, she ain't getting sold......and every year I find ways to justify spending more money on it!

I am however buying a 2012 as a "back-up" unless it outperforms the old Bomb.
And at 400lbs and 170hp it is a b*tch to ride.......but mostly because it's so light, any little input is magnified 10x. I love it!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
400lbs ????
how the heck u did that ?

Ok ok it's 417lbs with coolant and a gallon of premix. :D

Lots of hard work, using parts for structure that weren't before, doubling up items for dual purpose, CM, TI, and more hours than I have on this website.(saying a lot :D)

attachment.php

ReeberBOMB 2011.jpg

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
doesnt look that lightweight special to me

Your right, it doesn't look that lightweight.....cause I powdercoated all the fancy stuff!
I weighed it 4 or 5 years ago as this:

picture.php

As it sat, it weighed 417lbs with a gallon of fuel and full of coolant. Rode it on the scales, rode it off.

Weighed again this spring(cause I was curious and the old weight # was unreliable I thought)
Pulled out the same weight a week ago! I did unload all the tools and crap outta the seat this time though! I wanted to weigh it totally wet full of fluids but my cousin wasn't working the morning shift at the grocery store where we weighed it. I can just imagine what his boss woulda said if he saw a sled on the produce scales! LOL

The front end for example - Ti a-arms, hard anodized aluminum bushings, billet spindles and the spindle housings lost about 2lbs each from removing some un-needed material.
Steering is Ti and CM. Parts that have no strength properties and do not wear were made of Aluminum etc etc. Floats and BR Tech Thrasher hood. And Carbon Fiber ski saddles are next on the list! Save a lb per ski! haha
Literally, the only parts I have not cut, replaced with lighter, drilled or lightened are as follows:
-Chaincase and cover
-steering arms
-gas tank
-brake caliper and controls(rotor is a l/w SLP disc turned down even more)
-few odds and ends.....the rest has been replaced, drilled, milled, cut, and or gutted.

This is how it started:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I do not recommend milling down and gun drilling shafts at the same time! Got about 500 miles outta that set-up. Now the jackshaft drilled while the driveshaft is milled down.

The rear skid is a nice piece of bling.....which has also gotten steel swapped for CM and CM swapped for aluminum(except for the shafts, I went back to steel......then made CM shafts for them(originally were aluminum but got tired of swapping out twice a season cause they would wear BAD!)

Besides, I don't need you to believe me.....it's my ride......and it makes ME happy and does what I want from it......just get out and ride - that's what sledding is all about for me!

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
But this thread isn't about y sled or my claims that it's light.

It's about the oldies rockin the new sleds and going everywhere for less!
Like I said, it took a 174 Carbon chassis E-Tec to highmark this sled(with a 156 mind you!) and none of my demo XP's(08-10 163's) couldn't match pace on the hill.

So ya, keeping for awhile longer before it gets retired for good and hung up in my shop.

F
Mar 13, 2008
didnt say i didnt belive u just was wondering how u got it that low

which u explained now :) quiete the mods u got going there :)

i still love my old iron (cant get a new one so shes got to do it :) )

pretty much had every nut and bolt of this sled already and love it except on the bumpy trails up to the alpine than i hate her for pounding the chit out of me :)

Bild 090.jpg Bild 091.jpg

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Toss a coilover under that thing Fossy and you won't believe the difference onthe trail.

I have the go ahead to snow check but going to stay with my 04 until I see them for a year and then decide if I want to steal an 11 or go all out on a new one. My Wife is fanatical about having warranty on things so we will see.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Reeb I thought I was going to the extreme lightening the '03 over the last 3 yrs. A little here and there and whalla 50+ lbs. and another 5 to go. On the rear skid what do you mean about alloy shafts wearing? I have replaced both pivot shafts with 7075. Then Moly coated all alloy parts that are used for bushings. I also replaced the crossbars with swaged rods since I do that for a living. Has been a fun project and still looks dead stock! Just wondering if you ever weighed the skid before and after?

Thanks Mike

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I have a Mountain Master rear skid. You'd be familiar with the Mountain Addiction version. Both derived from the Expert X by AD Boivin.

The aluminum crossshafts would wear where the bushings ride and where the wheels and transfer rods attach.

I then went with a solid steel shaft and it held up admirably - but I figured I could get away with a little lighter piece of steel and turned a piece of CM to size and have been running those for awhile now.

attachment.php

Since this pic was taken(brand new) I've changed the front arm, played with the transfer rod length, re-done all bushings and shafts to tolerance(sloppy even when new) got the shocks rebuilt to better perform as a rear skid shock(valved for front ends) and I've had to run slightly bigger idlers up top to clear the rubber nubs on the track as they did hit at one point. I also run a 9" billet kit now, vs. the 8" in the picture.

picture.php

skid1 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I did not know it was a mountain master sus. I saw the rear triangles in the pi c and thought it was stock. A-1 job otherwise! Thanks Mike

Premium Features