• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bogging 02 Summit 800

S
Jan 17, 2011
Fairly new to skidoos and this may be a long and drawn out write up but here goes nothing. The sled is a 02 800 summit with DPM and my problem is the sled decided to start bogging today when I went for a little ride today and I had no problems before this after putting about 300-400kms on it. On Dec. 26 I bent a trailing arm and I finally took it to my buddies warm shop last saturday Jan. 15 to fix it in warmth. It sits in my cold garage all the time at home. The sled was in the warm shop for approx. 4-5 hours with barely any fuel in it and about 1/2 tank of oil. Took the sled home afterwards back to my garage and its been real cold here about -20 celcius. My buddy started it with the choke and the plastic nut fell off that holds the choke onto the dash board and we screwed it back on that night. Today I filled the tank with a jerry can of fuel that brought it up to just over half a tank. Started it and it didn't start that easy and when it finally tried firing it let out a puff of smoke and sounded like it backfired and did this twice before finally firing. Let the sled warm up and took it out, sled was sluggish but i knew it was just cold and needed to warm up more. It never got better it felt real sluggish all the way to 8100 rpms. We have about 3 feet of snow in wide open fields here and real powdery snow. After riding it for about a mile it really started to bog and would barely rev past 5-6000 rpms and i limped it home and the throttle was sticking on and it wouldnt disengage the clutch so i had to brake and ride it out all the way to my house for about 300 yards while braking every so often. When i got home i got thinking that maybe all that powder was freezing my carbs off so i turned on my carb heater valve and took it again for a ride and it was worse yet. My throttle wasn't sticking anymore but its not running good. I pulled the plugs and they were really oil and black and not a light tan like they should be. Im guessing that per tank of fuel this sled uses about 1/2 tank of oil which is probably around 1.5 - 2 litres of oil. My airbox had some powder on the foam topper and when i took it off i noticed a little moisture deeper down into the airbox as well. The sled will start and idle just fine and i changed the plugs and it seemed to run and idle a little better but it was dark tonight and I didn't get to take it for another ride to see if that helped just yet. Does anyone have any ideas what would be my problem? Could it be moisture somewhere that was brought on by not thawing it out long enough in the shop i was in? It doesn't smoke a terrible amount unless its at start up. Could I have an oil injection issue? Im gonna do a compression test tomorrow and see how that goes....

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
I had a 2002 700 renegade that did kinda the same thing. Ended up being bad reeds. I put vforce reeds on and it was just like new. I would get some seafoam and put that in the gas, will get rid of water and help clean things out. Check you compression and if thats fine I would look into the reeds.

Premium Features