• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 HCR Ride Reports???? Anyone???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
Rode the HCR yesterday. Was out with the HCR, the M8T w/ 2871 Garrett and the 08 RMK 7 w/ all the SLP bolt on stuff. I own and ride em all so I'm not partial in my review here.

TRACK.

HCR is brand new - we put 40 miles on it yesterday before we had to head down. First thing I noticed was that the track HOOKS UP on the snow. We were switching back and forth on the machines on the ride up into the alpine and as soon as you got off the HCR and onto the other two and hit the throttle you'd see how much better the HCR track hooked up as you'd sit and spin for a bit with the other two. If you live in an area of light fluffy dry powder it's probably not the right track for you, but the snow we get here is usually a bit heavier - doesn't just blow away as you ride around. The HCR track yesterday was stomping both my regular PC on the M8T and the Poo 5.1 track on the 700RMK.

SKI STANCE

The M8T has Simmons Gen2's. Measuring outside ski edge to outside ski edge the distance is 49". Measuring the HCR outside to outside is also 49". Jumping on the HCR felt natural as it is the same stance as I'm used to on the M8T.

The Poo is a bit more rider forward, and a bit easier to play around with in that it wants to roll over and back sooo easy. Some say too easy, I think it's just whatever you're used to. Narrower stance propably comes into effect here. I'd like to hear from someone who's had time on both the IQ Raw and the M with narrow stances.

The M sleds are also fun to play around with, just slightly more stable. Takes a bit more effort (a bit.. not a lot) to set a sidehill or put it on it's side, but once it's there it stays there way in a much more stable fashion. The IQ Raw you can sidehill sitting down on the flat on hardpack. The M you can sidehill easily through major bombholes and ruts without being knocked off track. Pick your style.

POWER

The HCR was outrunning the RMK7 yesterday. Definitely had more hookup. Hard to know for sure power-wise as we didn't have enough clear light or safe slopes to session the same hill over and over in fresh lines to really see. If you believe SLP's claims for their single pipe and intake these machines are supposed to have similar power.

BARS

Could use more rise in the bars. Even at their highest position I was wishing for a couple more inches. I'm 6'4". You may or may not need them any higher.

RUNNING BOARDS

New M series boards are the best stock boards I've used for evacuating snow. Put Better Boards in the RMK7 this season due to snow accumulation in the boards/wells. Better Boards were evacuating better, but be careful - they change the way you can move your feet around - no more sliding your feet front/back mid-air to adjust you're attitude. You've got to pick up your feet and put them back down to move them.

Overall I'm very happy w/ the machines this year based on the snow conditions yesterday. As we get some lighter snow and some clear days I'll get some more feedback on the HCR.

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
Question re: DD fluid for 09 HCR

rear float is the same

MBMS,

Does the new Diamond Drive without mechanical reverse use the same fluid as the previous years w/ mechanical reverse?

I have two containers here - one is small - about 3-4 ounces, and one is 12 ounces and says for the ACT DD w/ reverse. I wonder if I can use the large bottle in the new DD or if the fluid is different.

Thanks!

cp

K
Dec 6, 2007
Rode the HCR yesterday. Was out with the HCR, the M8T w/ 2871 Garrett and the 08 RMK 7 w/ all the SLP bolt on stuff. I own and ride em all so I'm not partial in my review here.

TRACK.

HCR is brand new - we put 40 miles on it yesterday before we had to head down. First thing I noticed was that the track HOOKS UP on the snow. We were switching back and forth on the machines on the ride up into the alpine and as soon as you got off the HCR and onto the other two and hit the throttle you'd see how much better the HCR track hooked up as you'd sit and spin for a bit with the other two. If you live in an area of light fluffy dry powder it's probably not the right track for you, but the snow we get here is usually a bit heavier - doesn't just blow away as you ride around. The HCR track yesterday was stomping both my regular PC on the M8T and the Poo 5.1 track on the 700RMK.

SKI STANCE

The M8T has Simmons Gen2's. Measuring outside ski edge to outside ski edge the distance is 49". Measuring the HCR outside to outside is also 49". Jumping on the HCR felt natural as it is the same stance as I'm used to on the M8T.

The Poo is a bit more rider forward, and a bit easier to play around with in that it wants to roll over and back sooo easy. Some say too easy, I think it's just whatever you're used to. Narrower stance propably comes into effect here. I'd like to hear from someone who's had time on both the IQ Raw and the M with narrow stances.

The M sleds are also fun to play around with, just slightly more stable. Takes a bit more effort (a bit.. not a lot) to set a sidehill or put it on it's side, but once it's there it stays there way in a much more stable fashion. The IQ Raw you can sidehill sitting down on the flat on hardpack. The M you can sidehill easily through major bombholes and ruts without being knocked off track. Pick your style.

POWER

The HCR was outrunning the RMK7 yesterday. Definitely had more hookup. Hard to know for sure power-wise as we didn't have enough clear light or safe slopes to session the same hill over and over in fresh lines to really see. If you believe SLP's claims for their single pipe and intake these machines are supposed to have similar power.

BARS

Could use more rise in the bars. Even at their highest position I was wishing for a couple more inches. I'm 6'4". You may or may not need them any higher.

RUNNING BOARDS

New M series boards are the best stock boards I've used for evacuating snow. Put Better Boards in the RMK7 this season due to snow accumulation in the boards/wells. Better Boards were evacuating better, but be careful - they change the way you can move your feet around - no more sliding your feet front/back mid-air to adjust you're attitude. You've got to pick up your feet and put them back down to move them.

Overall I'm very happy w/ the machines this year based on the snow conditions yesterday. As we get some lighter snow and some clear days I'll get some more feedback on the HCR.

Cool info's! Thanks

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
I have 325 mi on my hcr. I think its a good sled mine is a factory sled so it DOES have different mapping and I put a VOHK intake on her and a SS can. I also put a set of stock M skies on it and it is much better in the powder. Being a factory race sled I have to run race gas or mix Aviation gas in my fuel mix. If I run 91 it does not have the same power or punch as with the race fuel. It works well in left overs and carves up hill like a beast. The suspension still needs a bit of tuning but all in all I think the HCR is a winner and a damn good sled. It will also wax a stock M8 no problem over and over again. People are saying the mapping is the same as an M8 but that is only true with the consumer version of the HCR. :D

Well that comment proves that one sector of Arctic Cat is working well......... Their Marketing dept. ;)

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
MBMS,

Does the new Diamond Drive without mechanical reverse use the same fluid as the previous years w/ mechanical reverse?

I have two containers here - one is small - about 3-4 ounces, and one is 12 ounces and says for the ACT DD w/ reverse. I wonder if I can use the large bottle in the new DD or if the fluid is different.

Thanks!

cp

use the 12 ounce bottle. The small is for the 05-06 models.

J

jp@weknowsnow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado/Wyoming
weknowsnow.com

TRACK.

SKI STANCE

POWER

BARS

RUNNING BOARDS

nice comments / review... glad you are enjoying your HCR.. now lets see some pics and vids!! :) i adjusted the ski stance to the most narrow on both of our HCRs and it lays over a bit easier

http://vimeo.com/2795085

main.php

main.php

the only thing you said i disagree with is the comment regarding soft dry cold smoke powder, i think this sled/track does better then my dragon 155 in those conditions.. it tractors through the deep

Last edited:
S
Sep 12, 2008
@ 10,000 Feet CO.
Senile old guy!

He doesn't get it Woody. Maybe he is going senile Supercat's profile says he is 79

You are so right!!! Senile and I have Mad Cow! I have no idea what I am talking about and I ride the flats of Florida! You should see what an HCR will do to a beach!! Its a good sled hotter mapping or not:confused: Well you all have fun on the computers Im going wake jumping on my sled:eek:

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
nice comments / review... glad you are enjoying your HCR.. now lets see some pics and vids!! :) i adjusted the ski stance to the most narrow on both of our HCRs and it lays over a bit easier

the only thing you said i disagree with is the comment regarding soft dry cold smoke powder, i think this sled/track does better then my dragon 155 in those conditions.. it tractors through the deep

Ah I've only had it out the once and it was flat light and heavy snow. I'm happy to hear it works well in the light snow.

I'm hoping for some light snow soon so I can test it out in those conditions.

It sure does hook up in the snow we had. Did you settle around 150lbs or so on your rear shock?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
can anyone give some reports of the regular Power Claw vs. the HCR version. In the DEEP, is the regular rocking the HCR, is it quiet close? would love to hear more!!!

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have never been around an HCR but my powerclaw works unreal in the deep snow.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
can anyone give some reports of the regular Power Claw vs. the HCR version. In the DEEP, is the regular rocking the HCR, is it quiet close? would love to hear more!!!

you wont see much of a difference in the deep between the 2 PC tracks... In fact I think I am much happier with the stiffer track, it soften up quite a bit and folds over to just about perfect in the deep.

G

glacierbear

Dec 24, 2007
Soldotna, Alaska
100 mile HCR review

Well I just passed 100 miles on the odometer. I have been very impressed with this sled so far but have not been able to get into deep, new powder yet (hopefully this weekend). Negatives- seat is hard, front ski stance is more difficult to pull over in set up snow (I moved the skis into their narrowest setting to try out this weekend). I had previously had a 41" front ski stance and preferred that to the 39 or 40". Now the positives- This thing rips, the track hooks up like a mother on set up snow and the suspension is perfect for over 200 lb riders that like to keep up with the ditch bangers down the trail or for moderate size jumps/drops (I don't do the big stuff any more- can't afford to get hurt). I ride 0-5000' in Alaska so I am getting plenty of power (very little altitude loss). For clutching I am running a 46/38 helix with stock primary and secondary springs. I am changing weights to 75 grams tomorrow to get full RPM out of the SLP pipe I just put on (pulling about 7900 right now). The first ride with the pipe you could tell the increase in midrange and top end. I also just installed a RK Tek head (13:1) and Black Diamond air intake. Next ride will be a tuning ride with the boondocker to tune in (have some starting numbers from fellow Alaskan riders with similar mods- thanks guys). I also took the opportunity to install the dog bones in the front end while I had the nose cone off (seemed like a no brainer and I have bent plenty of a-arms in the past. For a couple of dollars/ounces I would rather beef up/protect the front bulkhead. Fuel economy seems to be pretty good; my son rides a 2006 M6 and we have been close on fuel at the end of the day. I am coming off a mod M7 (Speedwerx pipe/RKT head/RKT clutch/Boondocker) and it is not even close. The HCR will walk away from the M7 in all the conditions I have encountered and based on my limited memory from riding a 2008 M8 Sno Pro last year it has a lot more snap off the bottom, more mid-range (stock to stock) and handles better. I am looking forward to many more miles on this machine and can't wait to get into some fresh powder that will challenge it (have been able to climb everything at will and keep having to back out of the throttle to keep the front end on the ground). Good riding and stay safe.

B

You probably wouldn't notice a difference between the two tracks in the powder. Main difference will be the grab on the trail. The HCR being harder should bite better and give you more control on the hard pack or icy trails.

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
I've got a few more days on the HCR and I'm very very happy with it so far. :)

The track is great for the snow we have here (West Coast wet). I find it hooks up incredibly when you cross over someone else's previous track from the day before - the amount of jump it gives under you is very very noticeable in that situation. Took me a bit to get used to it and be leaning more forward.

I found that the telescoping post in the tallest position was a bit short still, and at full extension it was pushing back towards me a bit too much. Installed an After Market Products riser for the 09 telescoping steering post and it's great! Rise is 2" and moves the bars 1.5" or so forward, while keeping them in the same rotational plane as the stock bars. With this you get the 1.5" forward, plus you can probably add another 1" or so since you don't need to put the post as it's highest height since you already have 2" of rise from the riser.

The addition of the riser has moved that bars what looks or feels to be more than the 2.5 inches forward of where stock was. I would order that product again in a heartbeat. I will see if I can get a camera so I can snap a picture of it to post here.

Premium Features