• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

X3 an improvement over the 2.6?

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
any opinions on the X3 over the stock 2.6? looking at doing some summer mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
I find the x3 does not very good in the spring harder snow. . Unreal in deep. . I have 2.6 on my axys and X3 on my boosted proclimb. . . If my 2.6 fully clipping dosent save my track for awhile I think I'd like to try a powerclaw 3" over the x3.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yes it's an improvement and I have a used, excellent condition 156" X3 for sale, if you're interested. (Parting old sled, new sled is 163")
69b3c09ef250f9e1f0d5426440536dda.jpg

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I have run one my 17 for the last 2 seasons works great in the pow but on hard pack it spins out. Going to try a 3.2 with the little teeth on the paddles supposed to be better on hard pack. Best mod for an axys after slp pipe IMHO!

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Yes it's an improvement and I have a used, excellent condition 156" X3 for sale, if you're interested. (Parting old sled, new sled is 163")
69b3c09ef250f9e1f0d5426440536dda.jpg

PM me more info... mileage, price etc. thanks

S
Sep 16, 2016
I have run one my 17 for the last 2 seasons works great in the pow but on hard pack it spins out. Going to try a 3.2 with the little teeth on the paddles supposed to be better on hard pack. Best mod for an axys after slp pipe IMHO!

I would go with the 3” powerclaw instead. I’ve ridden the 3.2 in hard snow and it was terrible. I put the power claw on my sidekick axys and it turned it into an animal.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I worked a pretty tough climb in mid-season BC pow a couple years ago back to back on 2 Axys 163's.... one with an X3 and the other with stock 2.6"

If the X3 had an advantage...it sure wasn't much on that day. Not worth changing out unless you need a track anyways. I have never found the X3 to be a stand out track around here....but people seem to like it in general, so perhaps in different snow it shines more. The 2.6" is a good performing track....I would be interested in trying a 3" PC on an Axys that said.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
my initial intentions were the power claw, but I have a hard time finding a 3" power claw for what I would consider a reasonable price, they seem to bring considerably more than an X3.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The 2.6 Polaris track is a pretty good track for most conditions. If it’s not torn up and needs replacing I’d spend money elsewhere. We’ve replaced some 2.6” Polaris tracks with PC 3” and csmsno2.8. There are conditions where the 3” tracks better, but I’d say not a huge difference.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The 2.6 Polaris track is a pretty good track for most conditions. If it’s not torn up and needs replacing I’d spend money elsewhere. We’ve replaced some 2.6” Polaris tracks with PC 3” and csmsno2.8. There are conditions where the 3” tracks better, but I’d say not a huge difference.

How's the 2.8 ????

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Personally I feel the 2.8" performs similarly to the PC. With the edge leaning to the PC but the 2.8" is a close second.

That said, I like the 2.6" considerably for a lot of reasons, mainly the ability to get up on top of the snow and not trench. Where's the bigger heavy hitters trench a lot more.

It's definitely hard to pin down an adequate opinion on tracks though. Different tracks need to be ridden differently, if you aren't capable of riding differently you will hate what you don't know.

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
X3 is great in deep snow, it is down right scary on set up snow/ice. The PC is a better all around track IMO.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I can't relate to what some of you are saying. I came from the 2.4" Polaris track and the X3 was better in every way. Especially in the set up snow, that 2.4 would slip all over the place but the X3 just grabbed. It would also outclimb a 2.6", but that was comparing a Pro chassis with the X3 to an Axys chassis with a 2.6". I would think an Axys sled with an X3 would be the bomb.

My new Axys climbs a bit better than the X3 did, but it's a 163" and the X3 was a 156". That X3 track was all around awesome.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I can't relate to what some of you are saying. I came from the 2.4" Polaris track and the X3 was better in every way. Especially in the set up snow, that 2.4 would slip all over the place but the X3 just grabbed. It would also outclimb a 2.6", but that was comparing a Pro chassis with the X3 to an Axys chassis with a 2.6". I would think an Axys sled with an X3 would be the bomb.

My new Axys climbs a bit better than the X3 did, but it's a 163" and the X3 was a 156". That X3 track was all around awesome.

I'm with you on this. The X3 I had was great. I didnt have anything bad to say about its performance. The only down side to the X3 IMO is thats its about 10lbs heavier then a 2.6 since its an old school 2-ply track.

My personal favorite is the series 7 polaris track, but I also never had the track wear issues that others do.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
My personal favorite is the series 7 polaris track, but I also never had the track wear issues that others do.

You like the Polaris 3" ? I think your the first person I heard that likes that track. Where do u mostly ride?

Also everyone that is replying could u state where u ride I think that makes a difference on what track u like.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

If I was sitting with the nose of my sled pointed over a 50 foot cliff and needed to do a really tight 5hit hook to get out of that situation I certainly do not want a 3" track. I would want something that I could stab the throttle and get that track spinning without grabbing and launching the sled forward over the edge. Once a track is spinning the sled will be super easy to pull over and spin on the spot. This is where some guys see the advantage of some tracks over others. Also when standing central on your sled, to spin the track makes it really easy to roll the sled on to one ski to carve a corner. If the track is hard set you may have to jump to one side to get the sled on one ski. SO it comes down to 2 factors, the first riding style, the second snow conditions.

After saying this, I went and ordered a 174 x 3" for 2019 and really hope I don't hate it. The reason I did was because I ride super soft deep snow as the norm. If I was to ride hard packed areas I would definitely stay away from the 3" track.

BTW the Polaris 2.4" track is still an awesome "light powder" track and is very durable.

Premium Features