• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo pro oil consumption

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
What ratio of gas to oil are you burning on your turboed pros? Especially with bigger injectors like the MTNTK kit. I have my oil pump set screw maxed out and still not burning much oil. I've made sure there is no air in the system. I've pulled the pump arm up while idling and it is pumping oil.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
What ratio of gas to oil are you burning on your turboed pros? Especially with bigger injectors like the MTNTK kit. I have my oil pump set screw maxed out and still not burning much oil. I've made sure there is no air in the system. I've pulled the pump arm up while idling and it is pumping oil.

I have not turned the oil up on any of my four turboed pro's (2011, 2013, 2015, 2018), the 2015 has the big inner cooled turbo and have not had any engine issues to date. I usually add a couple ounces to every other fuel up. I run 50/50 100ll which is somewhat a lubricant so maybe that helps?

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I turned mine up to about 32:1 ish, being a turbo sled extra lubrication is smart, also it's technically still a engine of similar design to an older 2 stroke that did run that 35:1, from the factory many are finding them to be too lean and cranks going after 1-2k

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
The reason I am asking is because I am only using a ratio of about 80 to 90:1. That is with the oil pump turned up so that I have no more threads showing on the adjustment screw. I also put a slight bend in the pump rod to see if that would help. The scribe mark on the pump is now outside the v-notch. I use Amsoil interceptor. I have drilled a small hole on the inside of the oil cap to bypass that faulty valve in the cap. I'm surprised I haven't blown it up yet..... I am now premixing the gas to 100:1. Hopefully that helps.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The reason I am asking is because I am only using a ratio of about 80 to 90:1. That is with the oil pump turned up so that I have no more threads showing on the adjustment screw. I also put a slight bend in the pump rod to see if that would help. The scribe mark on the pump is now outside the v-notch. I use Amsoil interceptor. I have drilled a small hole on the inside of the oil cap to bypass that faulty valve in the cap. I'm surprised I haven't blown it up yet..... I am now premixing the gas to 100:1. Hopefully that helps.

Wow that's certainly too lean on the oil mix, that is bizarre that it's using so little, it's going to cost you an engine for sure, I wonder if by chance your oil pump lever had spun around once? Id say vacuum but you say you bypassed the vent. My spare polaris which is stock I turned up to ~35:1, and the ones I've seen throw a crank were about 80:1 from the factory. Surprised they even seem to run at all! My view is oils cheaper than an engine.

Pre mixing some oil won't do you much as is it isn't getting to the bottom end and maybe a tad bit ontop of the piston.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Pre mixing some oil won't do you much as is it isn't getting to the bottom end and maybe a tad bit ontop of the piston.

Pre mix on the etech Doo engine (DI) gets to the top only but on the Polaris (SDI) it will help lube the bottom end.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Wow that's certainly too lean on the oil mix, that is bizarre that it's using so little, it's going to cost you an engine for sure, I wonder if by chance your oil pump lever had spun around once? Id say vacuum but you say you bypassed the vent. My spare polaris which is stock I turned up to ~35:1, and the ones I've seen throw a crank were about 80:1 from the factory. Surprised they even seem to run at all! My view is oils cheaper than an engine.

Pre mix on the etech Doo engine (DI) gets to the top only but on the Polaris (SDI) it will help lube the bottom end.

From what I know the injectors for the Polaris inject when the piston is on the down stroke (air going into cylinder from the case) to carry the fuel ontop of the piston, they do spray just in behind the one port. I'd guess if much fuel made its way down it wouldnt be much.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
From what I know the injectors for the Polaris inject when the piston is on the down stroke (air going into cylinder from the case) to carry the fuel ontop of the piston, they do spray just in behind the one port. I'd guess if much fuel made its way down it wouldnt be much.

Wouldn't that be considered DI (direct injection)? Pretty sure the Polaris SDI system, injects the fuel into the crank case, then up through the intake ports.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Wouldn't that be considered DI (direct injection)? Pretty sure the Polaris SDI system, injects the fuel into the crank case, then up through the intake ports.

Yeah sorry I can be terrible at my explanation sometimes. they are a sdi, it injects the fuel right behind the 2 intake ports into the cylinder that feed to the top of the piston on bdc. no direct spray path ontop of the piston either. I'd imagine the fuel injection timing it's self would be on the down stroke of the piston so the fuel mist is immediately pulled into the cylinder.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
2012 turbo 3k miles never touched the oil pump adjustment, no problems and have never personally met anyone who has turned up oiler on turbo pro that hasn't had a failure other than plugged injector causing lean condition

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
2012 turbo 3k miles never touched the oil pump adjustment, no problems and have never personally met anyone who has turned up oiler on turbo pro that hasn't had a failure other than plugged injector causing lean condition
Have you figured out what gas to oil ratio you use?

Premium Features