• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manual chain tensioner install

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
So I installed my cat manual chain tensioner today and thought I would post a little how to so others can save some time.

Parts Required:
2602-465 adjuster block
0123-150 nut
1602-101 screw cap
1702-261 arm tensioner

One tool that makes this easier is an right angle drill.

Before starting this job you may want to eyeball how much clearance you have to your silencer. The bolt for the adjuster sticks out a bit and may interfere with the silincer. My MBRP can fits fine and I could adjust the tensioner with it on but taking it off makes it a lot easier.

Remover the chain case cover, gears, chain and auto tensioner.

Thread the bolt for the manual adjuster backwards through the aluminum block.
Place the block into it's slot in the case and snug the bolt up against the case. When you are doing this make sure the block is in snug up against the case. If not the hole will be a little to close to the outside edge. This will cause grief which I will discuss latter.
Tap the bolt with a small hammer to make a mark.
Loosen bolt remove block and make sure you have a mark you can see.
Center punch small divit.
Use a right angle drill and drill a small hole. It was tight with the electric 3/8 drill I used but a small dia bit allowed for a straight hole. An air drill would likely fit easier.
With the small hole drilled, enlarge the hole to 3/8 from the outside
Re install gears and chain
Install manual adjuster
THIS PARTS IMPORTANT - Place the cover back on. Make sure it fits flat all the way around. There should be no gap. If there is a gap the bolt hole you drilled is a little to close to the edge. DO NOT THINK YOU CAN JUST SNUG THIS UP. THE CASE WILL BREAK. (no I didn't break mine) Now you will have to file down the retainier/spacer on the cover that keeps the aluminum adjuster block in place. This is best done with a small flat file. File some off both the long section and the short section and then put the cover back on. You can tell you got enough off if the cover sits flat against case and you can wiggle the block with the adjuster bolt after the case cover is bolted back on.
Bolt up the cover - a good idea is to check the case bolts for loose bits of aluminum and blow out the bolt holes. The self tapping bolts they use are **** and can leave bits of aluminum that will bind up.
Adjust the chain tensioner - finger tight, then snug up lock nut.
Add your oil and your good to go.

Case1.jpg Installed.jpg MarkSpot.jpg

J
Dec 7, 2012
Nice story. What do you think will happen if you use reverse when the chain happens to be a little loose? The plastic slider will flip upside down and the chain is going to rub agaist the tensioner frame. I highly recommend you take it apart and weld similar stopper like the lower one. I cut the rod from a 6mm bolt. This tensioner is from the sno pro racer, it doesn't have reverse. I can post a picture if you want.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Not to hijack but I just checked the tension on my STM manual adjuster. I have about 700 miles on it and it needed maybe one turn. I was worried having an internally adjusted tensioner wS going to be a hassle. I doubt I'll have to tighten it again. On another note. I always use either Mobil one trams fluid or amsoil sever gear oil. In 14 years of riding I have never broke a chain.

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
Nice story. What do you think will happen if you use reverse when the chain happens to be a little loose? The plastic slider will flip upside down and the chain is going to rub agaist the tensioner frame. I highly recommend you take it apart and weld similar stopper like the lower one. I cut the rod from a 6mm bolt. This tensioner is from the sno pro racer, it doesn't have reverse. I can post a picture if you want.

This set up has been installed many times on 800's, never heard of that happening once.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Some people have had the auto tensioner fail, leaving a lot of slack in the chain.

ridin da yamacat

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
I was getting ratcheting. When i checked the chain i found a broken link. To eliminate the tensioner as a source of potential ratcheting I installed the manual tensioner. Plus the auto is just plain junk. If you can't keep a chain adjusted properly you shouldn't be rideing a sled anyhow.
Anyhow, was out this moring for a few hours in about 3 ft of fresh light to heavy snow. I hammered that sled as hard as I could into turns and onto hills and no ratcheting. Every time I expected it to ratchet it didn't. So looks like in my case the auto tensioner was letting the chain jump.

Hesba

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2008
Finland
www.facebook.com
This set up has been installed many times on 800's, never heard of that happening once.

Mine did that once and after that I welded that second stopper. Works great now..

8e7esysa.jpg

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Question on Jamb Nut

Looking at the photos with the adjuster bolt installed.
My question is, Does the jamb nut have room to fit flush up against
the out side of the chain case where you drill your adjuster hole?

I could not tell from the photos. Looks like a good fix that needs to
be done this spring. Thanks for any input. RickM

(3-26-2014 parts ordered, Thanks. Rickm)

Last edited:

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
Looking at the photos with the adjuster bolt installed.
My question is, Does the jamb nut have room to fit flush up against
the out side of the chain case where you drill your adjuster hole?

I could not tell from the photos. Looks like a good fix that needs to
be done this spring. Thanks for any input. RickM

Yes it does. Only clearance issue may be the ability to adjust chain tension with differant cans. that would just mean removing the can to adjust the chain.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
PowderStew

I just completed the conversion from auto chain tensioner to the
manual tensioner. I used the Yamaha tensioner with the roller, part # 1702-342 instead of the pad that arctic uses.

Looks a lot more resistant to failure this way. Took about 2 hours to complete.

I would recommend this to others. Cat should have done this to start
with. Rickm
20140324_135514.jpg

Last edited:
G
Jan 18, 2012
I did the OSP manual tensioner back when Cat had their head up their A$$*$ and everything was backordered... and it worked great!! BUT this ROLLER setup looks like the Cats A$$ and way less resistant! adding to the list of summer MODS along with 925BB

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Did you put the Yamaha spring in? I just did and it seems like it's puts to much tension on the chain. I had to run my adjusting bolt in a little ways.. Hope it's ok.. Any thoughts guys? Also I have the 20/49 gears in with a brand new hyvo chain.

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
I was wondering the same thing, Armey. I was working on mine last night and looked at the spring wondering if it is even needed?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
OSP is prob a good setup then. I never had that spring fail on me, but it's one less thing to fail. I got 21/49 hyvo gears on with a new stock 16 chain but it was very difficult to get on. Need to get the lower gear pushed in pretty far to get the top gear lined up 90 deg to slip on. It will go with some effort. The auto tensioner won't even work with the stock 16 chain and 21/49 gears. Have to use a manual setup. Even the Cat 7000 / yamaha manual roller setup was tight.

Premium Features