• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No more switches, and new bars !!!!

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Well, like many I was always hitting my switches and turning off the grip heater or throwing it into reverse at less the idea times. So thanks to a couple old posts on snowest, I was able to install new switches and relocate them into the dash.

I also converted from stock REV style bars to the X-style, with an X-package post, '10 XP summit riser, and RSI 2" rise bars. I bought an RSI pad as well it does not fit inside the rise bars, and of course I tryed to make it fit but was never happy with it and now it's no way returnable... call them if you order the wrong part, great customer service!!!

Now my sled is an RT1000 so if you are wondering, it uses the same color layout as the 800's. Over all I'm really happy with how it turned out, I would like to find a clean way to label everything, we swap sleds once in a while and I would like others to know what they are playing with.

The switches on the left of the dash are, on top: HI/LOW beams, lower left: Grip heaters hi/off/low, lower right: thumb warmer hi/off/low. They seem alittle to easy to flip back to the off position with the covers, so I may need to install heavier switches for the heaters. The round on the right of the filler cap is the RER switch. I also installed a CR250 style kill switch, you have to hold it down to kill the motor. I still need to find a throttle block that does not have the kill switch mount... if you have one let me know, plastic or metal does not matter, and my flipper is fine.

bars1.jpg

bars2.jpg

Last edited:
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Thanks,

I'm pretty happy with it so far. The wiring was easy, there are almost no splices in the harness. I cut them at the handle bar plug and re routed them after putting them into heat shrink. You can still remove the bars from the with just the plug. The dash has plenty of length to remove it and set it to the side.

I'm going to try to make some aluminum name plates for the switches but my hand writing is pretty bad to expect they will look like crap. I wonder what the local engraver would charge?

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
heres the pics, I was having problems on Dootalk.
Anyway my sled is way torn apart right now so I can't take pics of it on the sled.
sorry about being blurry, didn't notice till right now. you get the idea though.

P6150031.jpg P6150030.jpg

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First I took all the wires from that block and cut the connectors off , I then made a small cut in the protective over shealth about two inches above the main plug under the dash and pulled all the needed wires out there so the harness will form a T shape at that location. I then taped and heat shrinked the new leg of the harness to keep it all nice and tiddy. ( a tip, twist pairs of wires around each other in place they can't or will not be in a shealth and it help keep things clean )

You will have:

two wires from the sleds harness for the kill switch , in and out

one wire for from the sled that feed both heater switches then four wires feeding out of those switches back up the bars to the grips/throttle... Grips High, Grips Low, Thumb High, Thumb Low ( take your time pulling wires threw that stock cover there is enough wire in the harness to do a clean install )

one from the sled to feed the lights, then two returning to the sled highbeam / lowbeam

You need the color code layout to complete the project, I'll see if I can find it.

RSI

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BOISE, IDAHO
www.rsiracing.com
Well, like many I was always hitting my switches and turning off the grip heater or throwing it into reverse at less the idea times. So thanks to a couple old posts on snowest, I was able to install new switches and relocate them into the dash.

I also converted from stock REV style bars to the X-style, with an X-package post, '10 XP summit riser, and RSI 2" rise bars. I bought an RSI pad as well but was pretty upset to find that it does not fit inside the rise bars, and of course I tryed to make it fit but was never happy with it and now it's no way returnable... would have been nice if they noted that you need the small square pad for these bars.

Now my sled is an RT1000 so if you are wondering, it uses the same color layout as the 800's. Over all I'm really happy with how it turned out, I would like to find a clean way to label everything, we swap sleds once in a while and I would like others to know what they are playing with.

The switches on the left of the dash are, on top: HI/LOW beams, lower left: Grip heaters hi/off/low, lower right: thumb warmer hi/off/low. They seem alittle to easy to flip back to the off position with the covers, so I may need to install heavier switches for the heaters. The round on the right of the filler cap is the RER switch. I also installed a CR250 style kill switch, you have to hold it down to kill the motor. I still need to find a throttle block that does not have the kill switch mount... if you have one let me know, plastic or metal does not matter, and my flipper is fine.

bars1.jpg

bars2.jpg

Contact us and we will get you a small bar pad sent out no charge. Sorry about the mistake. Nice work on your sled. The handlebars look good.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Hey folks I gotta say these guys came threw big time... I got the new pad yesterday in the mail and it fits nice with my bars and riser. Might have to find more of there products to buy so I can get some stickers on my sled. I'm happy to drop the name of any company willing to take that kind of care of there customers.

EDIT: oops, they even sent stickers. I'll post some pics when I get it all on there.

Last edited:
B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
RSI RT here

i suppose it's the laziness in me that decided relocating the switch housing would suffice. wiring needs some beautifying. rsi heaters, bars, grips, t-post

SMITTY'S SPEED WORKS RISERS

2i0prmf.jpg

S
switches

jacmmaxwell

Here where did you come up with those rubber covered switches? i like that look of the kill switch..

Also anyone know where you can get new handle bar grips that you can cut to size...or a little extra longer to cover the area where the switches used to be...

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I got the kill switch for around 12.00 bucks and it's a universal CR250 style switch... dennis kirk or any dirtbike parts house can get you one for pretty cheap.

The waterproof covers I got at my local Ace hardware for around 4.00 or so for two. You could find them at most "WELL STOCKED" hardware stores, not sure if the big chain stores would have them. Summit racing carries the covers for 5.95 or so each.

RSI sells longer grips that you could use to cover the gap but you would need new warmers if you have the grips like mine.... plus there is only about 1/2 between the master cylinder and the bars so you hand is not going to fit in there anyway. I have debated using another kill switch on that side for the RER but I think I like the idea that I have to take my hand off the throttle to put it into reverse the way it is... well you could reach it with your left if need be.

Premium Features