• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best and closest riding to south valley?

R
Sep 19, 2008
Herriman, UT
Im new to Utah, Herriman specifically, and wondering where the best riding (once the damn snow starts falling) would be. Can I just take off out my back yard and head up towards the mine,or is it all private up that way? Any help would be much appreciated.

R
Dec 3, 2007
I think you can ride up Rose canyon in your back yard but not real good riding.

Ok Riding up Gaurdsmans Pass (Big Cottonwood Canyon) About 40 min drive from you. Always good snow but not alot of riding area.

Extreme riding up AF Canyon above Silver Lake about 45 mins drive from you. The parking lot is low in elevation so there is not always snow to get out.

Excellent Riding up Fairview Canyon about 1.5 hours south of you.

Excellent riding up Woodland about 1.25 hours east of you.

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
Yep all of the above. AE is cool has ALOT more country. Rose canyon is private be carefull;).

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
AF tips

Hey RMK,
Whick "low elevation parking lot" are you talking about? Where do they block off the road in the winter and where do you park? I go up AF a bit in the summers but have never done the winters up there. If you're going to silver lake, I would assume that you park at tibble lake, is that correct?

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Hey RMK,
Whick "low elevation parking lot" are you talking about? Where do they block off the road in the winter and where do you park? I go up AF a bit in the summers but have never done the winters up there. If you're going to silver lake, I would assume that you park at tibble lake, is that correct?

that is correct, or if you go to the south they stop plowing at the pine hollow trailhead/parking area.

bring a beacon/shovel/probe... its steep out there and that means big slides!

R
Dec 3, 2007
Hey RMK,

They will close the gate at Tibble and at Pine Hollow, in fact it is probably closed already. The parking lots are so low there are times that there is not enough snow to get up the road. Phatty is correct if you ride up above Silver Lake make sure you dont ride alone and dont go during high avalanche danger, most of the hills up there slide quite often and when they do they are massive slides. I have seen one of them go over 3/4 mile down the chute and tear out trees and rocks the size of pickup trucks.

Premium Features