• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

inReach 2 Way Communicator

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these devices yet?

http://delorme.com/

Looking at getting one not just for riding, but when out hiking, boating, etc. The service plan doesn't appear to be too expensive either. Seems like a pretty cool way to communicate when your smart phone loses service.

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
I bought one because I ride in the mountains by myself sometimes. I have sent and received emails where there is no cell service, it has an "SOS" button to use if I hurt myself, and they'll text you back to tell you help is coming. $11.95 per month is the service plan I selected, can send 10 emails per month. When someone gets an email from you, they can view exactly where you're at by map or actual Google Earth image. I like it, feel a little safer having it.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I had a gift certificate to use and decided to put it towards one. Just picked it up yesterday, so no experience yet.

After considering and researching both the Spot and inReach, the extra $ up front for the inReach is a no brainer. Excited to try it out, and hope i never need the SOS function!

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I have ( the orange one in reach explorer ) I carry it in my vest, but hardly ever turn it on. I bought the Ski Doo charge plug thing for my glovebox so I can charge it on the sled if I need to.

I text my dad with it once as a test and he said it emailed him a link that showed where I was on a map.

Text/email is very slow with it though..but it works. For instance by default it doesn't check for new replies for 20 minutes..but there is a button to manually check for new ones.

You can Bluetooth to your phone and use your phone to type messages, or you can use the on screen typing.

I like the no contract pricing option of it, I kill my subscription on months where im not out and about.

Premium Features