• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REVIEW: Custom Sled Lift (Mfg by MtnMax97)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is a product review of a new custom sled lift that was made for my 2010 Yamaha Nytro SE by SnoWest member MtnMax97.

Several weeks ago I posted a thread asking for suggestions on a well built lift for my sled.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218258

In response to that thread, several people e-mailed me suggesting I contact MtnMax97 and take a look at the custom lifts he makes. In each case the person writing to me was a satisfied customer who had bought one of them himself.

After talking with Mike and several of his customers I placed an order and bought one of his lifts just like any other customer at retail.

The following is an unsolicited report on what I bought.

Price: $275 + Shipping.

Shipping: $122, UPS Ground, residential delivery. (oversize charges applied)

Packaging: Arrived wrapped in cellphone/Plastic Wrap. No box, no packing materials.

Condition on arrival: The lift was intact, but several small parts had fallen out of the Plastic Wrap and were missing.
Mike contacted me to confirm delivery and condition BEFORE I called him!
As soon as he knew he shipped me the missing parts which arrived only days later.

Initial Impressions: The unit looked great. It was very clear with a great powdercoat job on it. Really nothing negative to say about it. It was big and solid and very easy to operate. The first time I raised the lift I used a hand crank from my socket set. BIG MISTAKE! Only did that once and then went and bought an adapter for my cordless drill that allowed me to attach a socket to the drill and let it do all the work of jacking up my 600+lb beast into the air.

When I first lifted the sled, I raised it about half way up, and left it there for a week to see if the frame of the lift would show any signs of stress. If it was going to fail on me, I wanted it to fail with the sled lower to the ground and with the lift under maximum stress from the low angle of the support arms. After a week with no signs of fatigue I raised the sled up to the full height of the lift and have left it there ever since. This evening I lowered it down for the first time in several weeks so I could take all of the following photos.

NOTE:
All of the following photos are untouched raw images shot in my garage.

WARNING:
There are over 40 High Res images in this review. Please give your browser some time to get all of them loaded. The pictures are big because for me the most important thing with buying something on the internet is getting to know EXACTLY what your purchasing without having the benefit of seeing it or touching it in person.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here is the lift in the fully collapsed position.

picture.php

Closeup of the Front
picture.php

Closeup of the rear
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=1821&pictureid=18266
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fully Extended from the front.
You may notice that the front cross support arm is not fully square.
I thought it was an optical distortion from the camera, but the right bracket IS slightly lower than the left bracket. Its a very minor construction issue that seems to have NO impact at all on the operation of the lift.
picture.php

Lateral shot of the fully extended lift.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The tunnel supports are removable to allow you to point them INwards or OUTwards in relation to the tunnel itself depending on the work you are doing to the sled.

Tunnel Support Socket, Empty.
picture.php

Tunnel Support Pad, INward
picture.php

Tunnel Support Pad, OUTward.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When fully raised, the tunnel support pad sits at a height of 29 inches.
picture.php

Front to rear distance = 43 inches
picture.php

43 inches
picture.php

Tunnel Support Pad width in the OUTward Position
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Component shot, Engine Support Cross Arm.
picture.php

Closeup, Engine Support Cross Arm.
picture.php

Closeup, engine support arm, multi-directional floor caster
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Engine Lift Bracket on top, Screw Support Bracket in Middle.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The single most important weld on the entire structure.
This is the attachment of the lifting screw to the sled lift structure.
If this weld fails, the entire structure will collapse.
picture.php

This is the only thing on the entire unit that makes me nervous.
That is a small weld holding a LOT of weight.
I wish it were larger and more substantial.
picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The sled with NO lift beneath it.
picture.php

The Sled Lift slides in under the sled with NO room to spare.
There is not even 1/4 of an inch of free space between the rear tunnel arms (With pads removed) and the underside of the sled!
It is a perfect fit.
picture.php

Lift almost in final position.
picture.php

Sled lift now ready for final positioning
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There are 2 things that have to be properly aligned before the sled lift can be extended. The engine support arm MUST be in the right position as it carries the majority of the weight of the sled.
picture.php

picture.php

Engine Support Arm in exactly the correct location before lifting.
picture.php

Showing after the lift is fully extended
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Conclusion: With the exception of the one weld that troubles me, I am very happy with the unit. I purchased this so I could do many mods on my sled this summer, and am quite satisfied with it so far.

For me, i wouldn't mind some kind of a safety device that would allow me to "Lock" it in the upright position and ensure that it can NOT come down on me an accident. But life is filled with risk, and if we were not willing to take some risk, we would have to give up on sledding altogether!

One of my projects this summer is to remove the boards from the Nytro and install the new Skinz Air-Frame boards. That is going to require coming up with a way of supporting the tunnel while NOT touching the edge of the boards with the support pads that came with the lift. While not a common problem, I will have to come up with something to raise the height of the supports to go up inside the tunnel.

It should also be noted that there is some very real lateral instability on this lift. But I suspect it is there on ANY lift of this style. Pushing on the side of the sled WILL cause the whole machine to oscillate back and forth a bit, as there is nothing to stabilize it. The only solution I can see would be to massively increase the size of the lifting arms, which would make this thing into a beast.

All in all, this is a great product made for a specific purpose by one of our own members who has shown he offers great customer service!!

BTW..
Mike tells me he has sold 80 of these units so far.

GOOD JOB MIKE.!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
those things look slick... Sounds like a nice little deal, and always nice to support a snowester in the building/sales.

also, for doing running boards.. ratchet strap on the rear bumper to the cealing...or just set the sled on the ground!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have to admit that I really like having the sled up higher to work on.
Not sure how I am going to to support the sled when it comes time to take the air saw and cut off the boards, but I will cross that river pretty soon...

Hey christopher, I'm glad you like it. I know we love ours!! I've been using it every day while I polish the XP and the arctic cat. They hold up great...we've had ours for nearly 2 years and not one thing is wrong with it. I would deffinitly recommend one of these lifts for anyone, there easy to use and make it easy to work on things. Thanks

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I have to admit that I really like having the sled up higher to work on.
Not sure how I am going to to support the sled when it comes time to take the air saw and cut off the boards, but I will cross that river pretty soon...

like he said, on the ground or ratchet strap to the ceiling...skis on the groudn or get a hernia and put the front on a milk crate.

EricW a former active member on here rigged his sled lift to run of air...used an extra shock he had laying around. Real slick deal, just ran off a foot pedal and air hose.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Given my garage, the lift into the air from the ceiling is out for me.
My guess is I will use that new Summer Stand that I bought for the sleds that lifts from the rear bumper. Any extra elevation I can get will just make the process easier.

Premium Features