• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Danger's exist North of Columbine

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
Rode FS-550 North from Columbine to the Wyoming border this weekend. The USFS contracted (stimulis money - or your tax dollars at work) to have beetle kill tree's cut and removed along the sides of FS-550 this last Summer.
Well, alot of the tree's have been cut, but there's numerous and huge piles of logs stacked along the edge's of the road, and just off of it, along with slash piles. Many of these will be hidden in the drainage ditches that most of us love to ride when the powder becomes bottomless. So I foresee alot of A-arms will be ripped off, and chassis damaged sleds in the dealers this season. Also many of these log or slash piles have sharp and jagged logs sticking up and out of them, waiting for a serious accident to happen.:mad:

My only advice, if you ride FS-550 stay on the groomed trail, and don't do any serious riding off and within a 100-feet of the groomed trail.:(

...and don't follow my tracks! Go find your own powder stash!:p

Last edited:
T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
I'm sure the logging company will start burning the slash piles soon, they have been burning the ones here in Grand county.

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
Snow was good but had no base. It snowed pretty much the whole weekend. Prior to this last storm, FS-550 was plowed to the Wyoming border to remove logs. There was 2+ feet on the road, and once you got beyond that, the powder was bottomless. We have been in a deep freeze for weeks now, and the warmest I've seen it get was 32 deg (heat wave) on Sunday when it was snowing the hardest. Either we need a few warm days to set-up the snow, or another four feet to dump immediately. Currently there's about two feet of snow around SLO, and up to three and a half higher in elevation and further North.

Premium Features