• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Time to Ride!!!

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So lets cut to the chase......does ANYONE have any seat time with the new 850? Love to hear what everyone thinks of this new motor in the Axys chassis. Figure there are a few sleds dripping off the assembly line. Gotta be someone out there putting up a few miles/km's on. Let's here your thoughts.

Don't expect mine any time soon which is too bad since we have snow, but for those of you lucky enough ride...give us the dirty.

OTM

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yes, I got a full day on it back in February before the release.

There are threads about it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I had a fantastic day on it!
Better be ready to hang with it.
:)

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I've got about 30 yards on pavement loading the wife and my 850's, can't wait
for some real seat time?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Rode mine yesterday. It's awesome. No regrets selling my turbo for the 850.

Rode the Alpha too. It's also awesome. On easy, low snow terrain, they handle very similarly actually. Both super easy to ride and a real joy.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Rode today. Put 30 miles on and managed to get off the road a bit. Really hard to say much on the motor because I didn't need much where I was. But power is definetely more available throughout the power band. This sled doesn't have to "spool" up as much as the 800. The whole sled is very tight. I'm really impressed with the piggy back WE's. They really handled the bumps quite well. Sled does come over on it's side easier and I was surprised that it didn't really feel more tippy on the road at high speed. Looking forward to more snow and completing break in mode.

attachment.php

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So the RMK's finally showed up and so did the snow. We got around 2-3 feet in our riding area on Tues/Wed/Thurs of this week on top of 6-12 inch base and voila....new season :face-icon-small-hap. Had to inspect some met towers and was the perfect excuse to start break in of sled.

Disclaimer....we ride sea level to 3000 feet so can't comment on HA (high altitude) performance.

Front suspension is a big jump forward. I found some of the 800 Axys I've ridden in the past were "stiff" and frankly hard to steer. The 850 clearly doesn't suffer from this. Light and dare I say "flickable" but that's what comes to mind....sorry.

Balance is typical RMK....on the money. Predictable and not phased by crossing someone else's trail. No side hill yet but I don't see any surprises there.

Motor. Clearly, absolutely, and positively.....IS IN BREAK-IN MODE!!!! Polaris have given the engine enough power to function while ensuring it is broken in properly. In the first hour...if you tried WOT, you'd get WOB (wide open bog) Got me in trouble a few times today. But as day went on the engine got better. It was reving to 8200 but you could tell it was being deliberately over-fuelled. I'm reserving judgement on power delivery until more of break-in is completed, but no complaints. Power and maybe more importantly.....clutching are good..

Shocks: Need more time to evaluate and in our riding group we will soon have WE non piggy's, WE piggy's and Fox Floats. But what I can say is the WE piggy's I have... feel pretty good.... and some of that seems to be spring related. The spring has a decent progressive rate. Soft on bottom but can still take a hit. I'm 205 lbs and when trying some wheelie drops, it feels fine.

Power, balance and light weight in a capable chassis...all good.

OTM

2018_FirstRide_ProRMK.jpg

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
2nd Ride
So back up to met towers to do some maintenance. 850 Comments:

Bog, black smoke under stuck situation, low rpm miss, hard starts....all part of break in. It does some very weird things from time to time.

Engine really came alive towards end of second tank. Against the G4 we use, it pulls very close or better.

This one came with e10 ethanol fuel setting from factory but since we run 91, I adjusted and that made a big difference in engine performance.

I had to adjust back and forth from e10 to 91 to get the engine to behave during day but by the end of the 2nd tank it stayed on 91 and was working fine.

OTM

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
Rode 4 days in Revy last week. Off break in mode the last day or so, sled pulled hard. At 7400 ft it was pulling 68.8 grams at 8250 most all day long, even bumped 8300, even on the steepest hardest pull 8150 is the lowest I seen. But of course ya can't watch it all the time. Oh ya 163 3in track. Might need to throw another gram or so at it. Very fun sled to ride, came off a 18 axys 800 163 3in. The 850 handles the 3in track much better than 800. So far very pleased with sled

Premium Features