• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016-2018 Axys Abnormal Track Wear

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Unfortunately, I am experiencing the track wear underneath my sliders like a lot of other Axys riders on both my 2016 and my wife's 2017 sleds. I know that the fix for it is to just clip the track where it is not clipped. I am very disappointed in Polaris' response that it is my fault even though I run scratchers down and run my track tension per their specification. They have refused to help in anyway at all. Basically, I have to run the track until it fails at the points it is wearing at and then maybe they will do something.
What really upsets me is they had the dealer email me the tech tip and in it they state that they do not clip the track under the lugs because it causes heat and over time affects the performance and durability of the track. They state that their testing proved this and do not recommend that dealers or riders install clips under the lugs.
We all know that Polaris has realized this is an issue and that is why all 2.6" and 3.0" mountain tracks are clipped under the lugs for 2019. I have attached the Polaris Tech Tip so you can read for yourself if you feel the need. The info on clipping the track is on the last page.
I am not looking for sympathy, but just trying to help other forum members from even going through the trouble of trying to get Polaris to stand behind their product. Flame away if you feel the need.

Attachments

• SNOWMOBILE TRACK INFO .pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 166

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
FYI this was also my experience. So I clipped my own track and tightened to their spec and within a couple weeks the rear wheels broke through the track and this time they DID warranty the track. We have supplied clips for about 50 sleds so far and all owners are now happy customers.

2017-04-08 13.05.42.jpg

medicman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Just FYI. I saw a new 850 with a 155 and it has the clips on over the lugs and not over the open space like the 16-18 do. Sorry no pictures due to I didn’t have my phone. So i think Polaris knows about it and changed it just won’t admit it.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Screw it. Run the track til it actually fails. IF it actually fails, it will fail in one spot before the whole track goes.

Then get a new track on warranty.

I've got two 17's with over 2k miles and no clipping or failure. Had to replace sliders on both of them after a ride that had 30 miles of snow so hard scratchers were useless, but the tracks are still going.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
it would cost Polaris way to much to replace all the tracks that have blistered over this so you have 2 choices...run the track till It fails enough for them to replace it or just clip it and move on. that's what I did and no I was not happy about it but it is what it is! cheap and easy fix in the end.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Screw it. Run the track til it actually fails. IF it actually fails, it will fail in one spot before the whole track goes.

Then get a new track on warranty.

I've got two 17's with over 2k miles and no clipping or failure. Had to replace sliders on both of them after a ride that had 30 miles of snow so hard scratchers were useless, but the tracks are still going.

Flat trail riding is not the issue, it is side-hilling where the track is pushed off to the side a bit. Polaris will not warranty your track due to wear in these area.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Just clip it. If anyone is in my area, bring your sled over and I'll clip it for ya.
98dc9e9dd9fcbbd11c19e657212b4ad8.jpg

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Forgive me for sounding stupid but the clips are just the metal pieces clamped under the rail right?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Yes, easy, if you're mechanically inclined.

You need the track tool, Nachman 04-149-13A, and about 58 clips for a 163, part 012-0107.

I clipped my track with the skid out and it took about an hour. There was a small amount of wear after 400 miles.

No need to remove track, simply work at the back of the rail.

Premium Features