• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: High-Jacker Deep Powder Snowmobile Jack

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well I had the chance to use the jack and found one problem right away. When I went to jack the sled up the rear bumper started to bend! I've got a 2010 Ski Doo Everest XP. Now I'm looking at trying to get a stronger rear bumper.
May I suggest...

480_SPG_Ski_Doo_Rear_Bumper_2_Part_SDRB225-BK.jpg

Put one of these on my Nytro and LOVE IT!!
http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproductah/bumpers.html

BOULDERBOB

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2008
Boulder, Co
That does look like a strong bumper. Used the hi jacker the last time out, bent bumper or not, didn't bend the bumper anymore but it sure did pull it out of the hole! The guys with me definitely were impressed since we didn't have to pull out our backs to get the track up out of the hole.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
we had a rider disappear into a sink hole yesterday...12 feet deep 6 feet wide.

Even though we were riding in a group of 6 without the Hijack we might still be there digging!

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
the rider was lucky...wearing a tekvest and saw me waving him off at the last second....he still went in but had a split second to react.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Reviving this old thread because it's one of the more useful I've run across. It helped me decide to get a jack (and this particular one after comparing to the less expensive, but not as robust versions out there).

My girlfriend and I ride Mountain Max. True they are not exactly heavy, but when it is just her and I, there is only so much strength available for yanking on the back of a stuck sled. We've owned this since mid season and finally ended up using it last weekend and again this weekend. Prior to that, we were able to get out of our stucks in typical fashion, stomp down leading snow and push out, but this time, that was a no go.

First time using it it took about 3 - 5 minutes to pop the back out and put it down next to the trench (including photos). Five minutes later, used it again. Really takes the time and effort out of getting unstuck. My back isn't 100% and I just can't see risking hurting myself when there is a tool that will do the work for me. And there are those awkward stucks that even if we are both giving 100% that our combined strength just wouldn't be enough. And even when it is, panting and sweating after 20 minutes of shoveling and yanking at 9,000 feet just means that much less time riding and physically wearing out earlier in the day.

I used it again this last weekend when a buddy was in town and riding one of our sleds. He slid down into a treewell and we jacked the front and back out and up to get the sled up far enough to ride it out.

We ended up ordering one of these after we worked on getting unstuck for 30 minutes one day in the middle of the season (wasn't deep, but sidehill stuck and hung up on a stump and we had to lift the sled high enough to get it over the stump). We'd been considering a jack for a couple weeks at that point and as we sat there frustrated, the $300 seemed much more reasonable. We ordered it when we got home from that trip.

I've no experience with the more economical versions (PowderJack, etc.) but I only have praise for the Highlift Jack.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
do you still ride with this jack chris? I have been thinking about getting one
My son and I have progressed in our riding skills to the point that we no longer need the jack and are FAR better at getting our big yamaha's unstuck on our own.

But make no mistake, I still love this device and WHOLE HEARTEDLY endorse it.

It makes getting unstuck QUICK and EASY!

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Ace,
I have a three piece jack as well as the single piece jack and both work equally well. It does take time screwing it together in the field, but the effort and time of doing that is still less than digging and digging and lifting and panting. Ha.

The three piece jack is a bit long to fit in any tunnel back I've seen. Both are heavy. The most satisfied mount was mounting the one piece along the tunnel. It never really interfered much and was quick to deploy. That being said, that only worked on one of the sleds that I've had because most seem to have interference prohibiting that mounting method. I've found various ways to strap on the three piece jack and none were perfect, but did the trick.

We've now moved to different sleds (newer and lighter) and a snowbike and honestly we rarely carry a jack along any more...but it is always back at the truck just in case it is ever needed. There have been a couple times I wished it was with and on the sled, but we managed.

For some of those "leave the sled" situations, it's nice to know it's back at the truck since we usually only have 2 to 4 people in a group and 1/2 female so there are situations where we can't simply throw 6 guys worth of muscle at a situation and riding back to the truck to get it is still faster than leaving a sled overnight until we can gather up enough bodies to go back and help retrieve it.

Premium Features