• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mccall grooming

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
going to warren tongiht, and working some on redridge out of donnelley.

west face to upper elevation to goose lake was done last night, as was fisher creek.

It is snowing HARD. wet heavy stuff on top of cold fluffy fluff. Extremely tremendous avalanche opportunities for the next few days.

R
Nov 26, 2007
New Meadows
Doug
Good to see you today. Sorry you missed the good Oregon Beer.
Trails have been great the last two weeks that we have been in McCall.
Keep up the good work on grooming and will see you maybe later this year, but for sure next Christmas for two weeks again.
Great town and great sleding.

RickPDX

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Hey Doug, what's the story on the skiers that skied out of bounds, and ending up being found by a ski patrol guy? Rumors going around that search and rescue refused to help get them out. Don't know what search and rescue. What's up? Later Wade

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
there have been like 8 skiers who have skied out of bounds and gotten lost this year.

brundage has an interesting policy. Once a skier leaves the skiing area, Brundage figures it isn't their problem, and refuses to send ski patrol to go look for them.

Further, all will agree that in the early season the boundaries were not well marked. Lately the boundaries have been much better marked.

One attitude is that brundage sold them a lift ticket, so brundage has SOME responsibility to make at least a rudimentary search for the lost people.

Another attiude is that Brundage EXPECTS snowmobilers to go look for lost skiers cuz Brundage can't be bothered.

Another attitude is that Brundage has NEVER been a friend to shared use or getting along with snowmobilers, and is kicking us off Public Lands so they can Cat Ski privately on public lands, why should sledders help them make more money????

The real story. When brundage loses a skier, the forest service makes an effort to go find them. If they can't find them in short order, Search and Rescue is called, and Search and Rescue ALWAYS sends a large number of sledders to go find the lost people.

Will this continue? Absolutely.

Search and Rescue NEVER sends a bill for our efforts.

I'll leave it at that, and I'll imply some pretty serious discussions are occurring in the background between the big cheeses.

I'll also say thanks to the many sledders who have gotten out of their warm houses to go find the confused skiers who crossed boundaries and didn't know it, and the Darwin candidates who don't understand the concept of gravity.

D
Nov 27, 2007
Star , Id
grooming time for Anderson creek on West Mt.

Just wondering when the kitty makes it over that way with its fine Comb !!! Thanks. Stan

Bogus Basin Snowcat Operator for 4 years !!! Stan

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
anderson creek shoudl be done tuesday night, then again 2 times over the weekend.

donnelly will be to top of ridge tuesday night, then thurs, fri, sat all over that mountain.

Warren Tuesday, thursday, saturday.

Brundage - Around the mountain Wednesday night, Then probably again Friday night.

weather forecast is a foot or more of new snow up high by Wednesday morning.

we're still down a groomer, and are focussing on the trailheads to get folks from trailheads to powder areas.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
anderson creek shoudl be done tuesday night, then again 2 times over the weekend.

donnelly will be to top of ridge tuesday night, then thurs, fri, sat all over that mountain including at least one run to mill creek.

Warren Tuesday, thursday, saturday.

Brundage - Around the mountain Wednesday night which includes green gate, west face, upper elevation to gooselake, Then probably again Friday night.

weather forecast is a foot or more of new snow up high by Wednesday morningand more all week.

we're focussing on the trailheads to get folks from trailheads to powder areas.

will try to get wallace lane snuck in somewhere if at all possible.

Last edited:
D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
which one is gibson??? sorry....

i'm tired of it snowing. we've got about 10 feet at 7200 feet elevation, and a LOT more up higher.

tonight I got to see, or rather not see, the tracks in our PB. Lost them in the powder while grooming. And I mean the powder was coming over the TOP of the tracks as I was heading up a road.

Tomorrow and Saturday will be Epic up here. Talked to Julio, he said he got rained on at Pilots yesterday.

Is it grooming when you pick up your blade and your tiller and claw your way up the logging road, tehn groom back down????

last night around brundage mountain, today burgdorf/warren. tonight wallace lane and as much of fisher creek saddle as we can get,

friday brush/pearl creek, friday around brundage mountain to green gate west face, upper elevation, goose lake.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Thanks for the update Doug... which Julio did you talk too? Is he a rider or a groomer?

Hope to be up there this weekend.:face-icon-small-hap

D
Nov 27, 2007
Star , Id
piston bully 200's man !!!

Hey I'm curious , how many cats are grooming this year ? And yes it is still grooming , even if you have to lift your tiller to get to the top and work your way back down . We had to do that alot at bogus on a deep powder day ( unless I was in the winch cat ) Can you tell me the easy way to check out hill 44 from the warming hut ? I've never been that far around and wanted to check it out on saturday ... thanks , Stan

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
nub 44 from the warming hut follow trail on south side of the ridge line nw then it crosses the ridge to the lake side of the hill into Memorial stump meadow. Plaque at the NW end of the meadow (fun playing on the lake side here just dont drop off too far...grade of no return after the first bench! After the stump it get's a little sketchy...continue nw but now you have to drop more w and you'll cross a couple of small draws and open areas. About a mile heading W over hill and dale and then when you are able you turn back to the N and head towards the ridge line again. Nub 44 is on the same ridge line that runs perpindicular to the actual edge of west mountain. Fun playing all over up there but the hills or climbing is on the lake side of the ridge or further on towards tamarack ski area. It's mostly lots of wide open play areas but no real hills. If you haven't seen it or been there you'll be mad that they named it a hill. If you also study your trail map nub 44 is surrounded by 'beer bottle loop trail". A fun and interesting challenge is getting from the loop trail due north to the nub ... that has climbing!

Premium Features