• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snow tires on trailer?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
anyone ever put any type of snow tire or all terrain on there trailer to help keep them from sliding around on ice. I have towed on icy roads and had the trailer slide and pull the truck to the rumble strips or grass. trailer tires are cheaper but if theres something better i would be interested.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U can put passenger car studded snow tires on the trailer. The sidewalls aren't designed for the load trailer tires see so, u will have premature failure, but they should make it quite a few thousand miles.
Studded trailer tires are nice on icy roads.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
we head from ND to butte or west yellowstone so we put a few miles on i was thinking something like a snowtire for a 3/4 ton pickup with 10 plies. ive never run studded tires how long would they last on non icy roads?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
even just a well siped winter tire would do so much better then a basic trailer tire. They are the cheapest patterns I have ever seen on most of them and they perform accordingly.

What size trailer/axles/wheel size are you running?

I know we ran some blizzaks on a little toyota truck and I was BLOWN away with how good you can stick a non studded tire to ice. Absolutely blown away compared to how it performed vs a decent AT on ice.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i would have to look at tire size but i would assume something like a 225 65 15
sounds like a decent set of truck snow tires would be a pretty nice upgrade.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I've been running studded tires on my enclosed trailer for years and I wouldn't want to pull the trailer in winter without them, they've saved my rig multiple times, no lie. :face-icon-small-hap The old set was worn out when I bought the trailer and I still got 5 winters out of them. I've got 3 winters on my new set of studs and they're still like new. Mine are only 14" so they're car tires, but they work just fine. Just be sure to keep them fully inflated since they're not designed for the sideways scrubbing that trailer tires endure while turning, other than that, it'll never slide around on you again!

20151030_175820.jpg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I jumped into the deep end today. I have a set of studded snow tires and rims on the way for my trailer. Hopefully the wider contact patch will also help prevent sliding sideways a little. I have over 4 years on the original 175/80R13 tires. I bought 195/65R15 95T General Altimax Arctic 12 tires and 15" AWC 870 wheels.

Figured I'd be alright as the new tires have load rating close to what's currently on the trailer. All four new tires combined have a load capacity over 1000lbs more than what I will ever have the trailer loaded at.

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Perfectly Legal out here in the West!

Not all year long, in Idaho studs can be used 1 October to 30 April. They don't really enforce the restriction though.

But not in the summer here in Colorado. So if you want to use the trailer in the summer, it's something to think about.

Here's for the states that neighbor Idaho:

Studded tire laws vary in neighboring states:
  • Montana: Oct. 1 – May 31
  • Nevada: Oct. 1 – April 30
  • Utah: Oct. 15 – April 15
  • Oregon: Nov. 1 – March 31
  • Washington: Nov. 1 – March 31
  • Wyoming: Legal all year
I don't use my trailer in the summer.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
2 sets of tires?

I have 2 sets for mine, get twice the life out of the tires. They're also less of a hassle to change than a truck tire since they're smaller and lighter weight, but you do have to change them out for the summer months.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I jumped into the deep end today. I have a set of studded snow tires and rims on the way for my trailer. Hopefully the wider contact patch will also help prevent sliding sideways a little. I have over 4 years on the original 175/80R13 tires. I bought 195/65R15 95T General Altimax Arctic 12 tires and 15" AWC 870 wheels.

Figured I'd be alright as the new tires have load rating close to what's currently on the trailer. All four new tires combined have a load capacity over 1000lbs more than what I will ever have the trailer loaded at.

I looked up the specs of each tire size, the 195/65R15 tire's tread width is roughly 2" wider than the 175/80R13 tires.

Premium Features