• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'16 Clutching - Need to Know??

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
About to pull the trigger on a '16 M8000. What do I need to know about the the Team clutches and what are some "must haves"? Likely gonna go with the MDS system but anything else a guy should look into? What about tools and alignment bars? Will most of the stuff I used on my '13 Cat clutches work on the Team clutching? Also do most guys stick with the 19/50 gearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If it's an LTD with 3" traick: better than messing with gearing is putting 8t drivers on with the stock gearing.

Pain the a$$ but well worth it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I ride at various elevations. 2000 feet at home. 5000-7000 ish in BC and 8000-10000 in Wyoming.

if you set it up for home, better hang onto that stock stuff for wyoming or it might be a bad trip.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
changes

About to pull the trigger on a '16 M8000. What do I need to know about the the Team clutches and what are some "must haves"? Likely gonna go with the MDS system but anything else a guy should look into? What about tools and alignment bars? Will most of the stuff I used on my '13 Cat clutches work on the Team clutching? Also do most guys stick with the 19/50 gearing?

Hears what I've done
Gripper skis
Canada sled parts steering bushing
21/49 gearing same 90 pitch chain, I also used a steel gear for the lower one. The 2017 models were geared to this ratio from the factory.
Vented side panels
Clutching: I have changed my primary spring to a 17 MC, I haven't rode it yet, I did try different secondary springs but didn't gain actually lost, going back to stock. There are many kits out there to choose from.

The 16 ltd works pretty good,I found shock set up is critical for both ride and performance. Your 13 alignment bar wont work, but the primary puller should I am sure some one will correct me if I am wrong.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It is indeed the LTD.

Everyone's going to tell you to gear up. I did this with the stock 7t drivers before switching to the 8t.

Even geared up it just feels like it's hard to get the track going. I much prefer 8t/stock gears. Spins up easier and gets on the snow a tad better.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
I still run 7T with 20/49 gears at 10K elevation = 2.65 gearing -- about the same as 2.63 with 8T and 19/50

Going back to stock helix 48 deg. with a 160 / 260-270 or so spring using bmp or starting line antibind washers

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Everyone's going to tell you to gear up. I did this with the stock 7t drivers before switching to the 8t.

Even geared up it just feels like it's hard to get the track going. I much prefer 8t/stock gears. Spins up easier and gets on the snow a tad better.

The drop and roll 8 tooth drivers are definitely better than a re-gear but!!!!!!!
Gearing takes about an hour and costs 100 bucks or so easy to do.
The drop and roll will be 1000 bucks and a day or two if you do it yourself.
I did get a quote for a turn key drop and roll $2500.00 CAD
For me to spend 1 k or 2.5 k on my 16 just doesn't make sense, I would much sooner upgrade to a factory installed D&R, 17 MC or 18

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The drop and roll 8 tooth drivers are definitely better than a re-gear but!!!!!!!
Gearing takes about an hour and costs 100 bucks or so easy to do.
The drop and roll will be 1000 bucks and a day or two if you do it yourself.
I did get a quote for a turn key drop and roll $2500.00 CAD
For me to spend 1 k or 2.5 k on my 16 just doesn't make sense, I would much sooner upgrade to a factory installed D&R, 17 MC or 18

Gearing alone is certainly better. Just wanted to point out that moving to the 8t was a much bigger improvement. I found a case back and drivers/shaft used so the cost wasn't that much. Got the rest of the stuff new but I think I was in for a few hundred, not thousands.

That said, if anyone wants to go the easier/cheaper route, I've got some 20/51 gears if you want them.

Premium Features