• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo pro throwing DET code

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, So I got a new to me a boost-it pro, and ever since getting it, I'd get a random det code set, usually before it was say, 1-2 times in a ride and around 6-7k rpm, only happened when i was on off the gas for a second, again all day it only did it once or twice max, I was told to check the TPS adjustment, it was at like .630v so i set it as close to .700v as I could. then it says for the idle adjustment/voltage you set it to 1.800V, I did that, fired sled up and It started easier than before, less of a tug on the pull start for it to fire, however idle was about 2400-2500 rpm so I turned it down to about 2000,. I will contact the boost it guys as well for help and info but I figure'd to post here to see about some ideas and suggestions as well that may help.

for about 1/4 of my ride the sled ran fine, that 1/4 was lower elevation, approx 4300 feet, I can pin the sled and hold it wide open and it will not detonate at all down low, revs at that elevation were about 8200 rpm. But then as the day went on when I pinned it and let off the gas, it would throw the DET code, ONLY when I let off, not while wide open, So I thought thats odd, added some fuel on the control box to ~7500-8250 rpm to see if that helps, I *thought* it helped, but then all the sudden it decided when going wide open it would kind of run then stutter after a second, and make a Puff pop noise and then the DET code would set, It almost was like a back fire but softer toned and not a rpm limiter stutter. I was at 6500 feet pulling 7900 rpm when it was doing that.

I do not have a boost gauge or a/f. But I feel like since this started happening after the tps adjustment and or coincidence..... maybe I have a bad TPS? or maybe something else is going on? I thought about reeds but it runs and idles fine and can play the boost by hitting the throttle on and off for a while.

I tried googling the symptoms of the tps but I couldn't find much other than most people saying their sleds would cut out or they had a weak idle/no reverse, all of which I don't seem to have happening.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Hey guys, So I got a new to me a boost-it pro, and ever since getting it, I'd get a random det code set, usually before it was say, 1-2 times in a ride and around 6-7k rpm, only happened when i was on off the gas for a second, again all day it only did it once or twice max, I was told to check the TPS adjustment, it was at like .630v so i set it as close to .700v as I could. then it says for the idle adjustment/voltage you set it to 1.800V, I did that, fired sled up and It started easier than before, less of a tug on the pull start for it to fire, however idle was about 2400-2500 rpm so I turned it down to about 2000,. I will contact the boost it guys as well for help and info but I figure'd to post here to see about some ideas and suggestions as well that may help.

for about 1/4 of my ride the sled ran fine, that 1/4 was lower elevation, approx 4300 feet, I can pin the sled and hold it wide open and it will not detonate at all down low, revs at that elevation were about 8200 rpm. But then as the day went on when I pinned it and let off the gas, it would throw the DET code, ONLY when I let off, not while wide open, So I thought thats odd, added some fuel on the control box to ~7500-8250 rpm to see if that helps, I *thought* it helped, but then all the sudden it decided when going wide open it would kind of run then stutter after a second, and make a Puff pop noise and then the DET code would set, It almost was like a back fire but softer toned and not a rpm limiter stutter. I was at 6500 feet pulling 7900 rpm when it was doing that.

I do not have a boost gauge or a/f. But I feel like since this started happening after the tps adjustment and or coincidence..... maybe I have a bad TPS? or maybe something else is going on? I thought about reeds but it runs and idles fine and can play the boost by hitting the throttle on and off for a while.

I tried googling the symptoms of the tps but I couldn't find much other than most people saying their sleds would cut out or they had a weak idle/no reverse, all of which I don't seem to have happening.

If you run rich and are burning fuel in the pipe, you'll get a DET code.
If you added fuel and it got worse, if say you are fat right there.
Go a click or two the other way and lean that down.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
If you run rich and are burning fuel in the pipe, you'll get a DET code.
If you added fuel and it got worse, if say you are fat right there.
Go a click or two the other way and lean that down.

Thanks for the reply, good point on that, I did try that, the sled *seemed* like it was running better but still threw the code instantly, almost seemed worse going leaner like it threw the code quicker than if it was richer, I tried at those rpms, -40 and all the way to +30, seemed to remain the same with some perhaps crisper operation going leaner but still threw the det code. one notably different thing was the day was semi warm, hovering around 0C but definitely a humid kind of day.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I would look at your fuel next.
What are your boost levels?
What is your octane?
What is your compression?

Start with TOO MUCH octane and then thin that down until you get that code again. It will take a couple tanks to find the sweet spot.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I would look at your fuel next.
What are your boost levels?
What is your octane?
What is your compression?

Start with TOO MUCH octane and then thin that down until you get that code again. It will take a couple tanks to find the sweet spot.

Well, I have no gauges, just ordered some now. sleds supposed to be 7#, octane is approx 96, 50 av 50 94. And compression is an even ~115 both sides.

And I'm not sure my octane is an issue but you never know, I can pin it at 3800 feet and have no issues at all, but when it acts up it does it at 7k feet, but I should have gauges this weekend so it'll help see what, may be going on, and swapping my tps

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well, I have no gauges, just ordered some now. sleds supposed to be 7#, octane is approx 96, 50 av 50 94. And compression is an even ~115 both sides.

And I'm not sure my octane is an issue but you never know, I can pin it at 3800 feet and have no issues at all, but when it acts up it does it at 7k feet, but I should have gauges this weekend so it'll help see what, may be going on, and swapping my tps

Doing it at HIGHER elevations does suggest a rich condition.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Doing it at HIGHER elevations does suggest a rich condition.

Watching my now installed a/f gauge, t's running way lean. Down the trail it was like 14-15:1, hit the throttle and build some boost it just went way lean and out of range on the gauge, so really what's saved my engine in the end was the limp mode lol.
The odd time it may of went down to like 12. 1 or so but then went lean immediately and threw the det code. I altered the map on the box a d doubled the fuel output, made no difference so deff a fuel delivery issue from what I can tell.

Right now I'm going to install a new fuel filter, no way I'm going to pay alot for another line, I'll retrofit in a new fuel filter that's bigger and replaceable. But from that, can I think or assume at ~800 km or 500 miles, my fuel pump should be good? My amp test was 3.9 amps, or 3.8, seemed normal? Should I be replacing that as well anyways??? I figure since it does it any time I demand more than half throttle and boost comes in maybe in the garage I'll test it and see if it it works or not.

So now

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Not sure about the amps, but if you can find a pressure gauge to put in line before the filter, they should be putting it 58-60psi.

And yes, change the filter. Made a difference for me too. I could only hold wfo for 8-10 seconds before DET mode. It would lock consistently time after time at the same point on the hill.

I dried out my old filter for a few days and could barely blow through it. The new one flowed freely.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Not sure about the amps, but if you can find a pressure gauge to put in line before the filter, they should be putting it 58-60psi.

And yes, change the filter. Made a difference for me too. I could only hold wfo for 8-10 seconds before DET mode. It would lock consistently time after time at the same point on the hill.

I dried out my old filter for a few days and could barely blow through it. The new one flowed freely.

The kit uses a yamaha apex fuel pressure regulator, I believe it's approx 42-44 psi. I checked the filter and it was a small one, I'd say smaller than factory, didn't look like factory polaris style at all, almost half the size. think of the oil line filter and double it's size, They ran their own line it appears top down, not using the factory style so I took out the filter and installed a fram G2S I had, I fired up the sled and rev'd it out about twice for approx 2-3 secs, trying to hold some braking pressure to load down the engine, and It rev'd right out. SO.... I *think* it made a difference, considering I couldn't wack the throttle wide open before with out it instantly throwing a det code, let alone not even winding out to 8k rpm. Watching the A/F I seen about 12.1 for the 2 or 3 secs.

Tomorrow after work I'll take it up the country side of town and see what happens, fingers crossed.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I actually just made my own from a g2s filter as well. I put a spi filter in this season and haven't been able to pull more then 8psi boost at 4-6000feet without loosing rpm as boost is increased. I know when I went to change my filter before last season my two year old factory filter had less pressure when blowing through it then the new spi filter so I never change it then and never had that problem Last year. I haven't got out to see if it stops loosing rpm now as I turned boost up. Hopefully this weekend. Cost like $10 for hose clamps and filter.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
^^^The most important post in the thread.

Did you reset your TPS down to 0.940 volts with a quality volt meter from the 1.800 volts you said you had set it at?

I think I miss-read or confused my self and put 1.8 but I can't remember, The sled now sits at 0.940 on idle as per instructions. It's been firing up better than before

I actually just made my own from a g2s filter as well. I put a spi filter in this season and haven't been able to pull more then 8psi boost at 4-6000feet without loosing rpm as boost is increased. I know when I went to change my filter before last season my two year old factory filter had less pressure when blowing through it then the new spi filter so I never change it then and never had that problem Last year. I haven't got out to see if it stops loosing rpm now as I turned boost up. Hopefully this weekend. Cost like $10 for hose clamps and filter.

Interesting, You have not ridden on it yet hey? I'm really hoping this is my problem. I'd like to be running 8# but we'll see what happens when everything finally... runs.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I just finished a test ride and it's better but not the complete problem, it'll run rich for 2 secs then start leaning out, it would lean out but not throw the set code by the time I let off, interesting? It was about 3 second bursts, at first it never threw any det codes, but then after a little bit, 5 mins of short bursts it started to throw the code again :( hmm, fuel pump...? Anybody have a part number?

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Pump number is F20000286.

Check the fuel inlet screens for debris, and cleanliness.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Pump number is F20000286.

Check the fuel inlet screens for debris, and cleanliness.

Another mini update. I swapped pumps to eliminate the possibility with my spare pro, no change both pumps and screens were clean with nothing sticking to them, at this point I'm banging my head against the wall, I'm going to check fuel pressure, highly unlikely to be an issue with the regulator but I suppose you just never know., then after that I'd be kinda thinking like a possible issue with the fuel control box? Dealing with fuel, supply to the delivery device

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Have you checked to make sure the TPS voltage moves in a linearly while moving the throttle plates from idle to WOT without drops of spikes in voltage?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Have you checked to make sure the TPS voltage moves in a linearly while moving the throttle plates from idle to WOT without drops of spikes in voltage?

Yes, It did look to be working just fine, And just to be sure in case it still was that, I swapped the one off my spare pro which is a known good running machine with no issues and here I am still, made 0 difference.

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Yes, It did look to be working just fine, And just to be sure in case it still was that, I swapped the one off my spare pro which is a known good running machine with no issues and here I am still, made 0 difference.

Have you spoken with Neil or TJ at Boost-it ? They are really good at figuring these things out.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Just an FYI, if you are using an SPI fuel filters and AV gas, STOP. The inner tubing of the SPI filter hose reacts badly when subjected to AV gas. The tubing swells and chokes off the fuel flow.

Slash found this out a a year or two ago. He had me come over to his work place to show me. He'd cut the filter off and handed me just the hose portion and said try to blow through this, it was very difficult to blow any air through that hose.

I don't know if actual race gas makes them swell or not.

Last edited:
Premium Features