• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys Weight Balance Improvement

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
With a full tank of gas and oil my 155 Axys belt drive ski pressure stock is 139 lbs left ski, 129 lbs right ski. After installing Ti can (15 lbs drop) it is 138 lbs left ski 126 lbs right ski. If you measure a different sled the % difference should be close but the absolute numbers will change depending on shock setup.

In the soft the front of the sled dives left when not on the gas. The mag side spark plug is on the Clutch side of the centerline is the sled. This is making the more difficult right hand maneuvers even more difficult.

1) What are the cheapest/easiest ways to reduce weight off left hand side of the sled? (clutches, foam removal, less oil in tank) Adding weight such as a turbo to the right not an option.

2) Should there be a stiffer or softer spring setting on left front to compensate? (stiffer is more ski pressure so it sinks into the snow more but the shock is stiffer so shock should compress less). Bit confused here.

Last edited by a moderator:

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
What about relocating the spare belt/plugs/plug wrench (3 lbs) near where the belt drive is right on the right hand side panel?

I forgot the "E" in improvement in the title and it is driving me nuts!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
With a full tank of gas and oil my 155 Axys belt drive ski pressure stock is 139 lbs left ski, 129 lbs right ski. After installing Ti can (15 lbs drop) it is 138 lbs left ski 126 lbs right ski. If you measure a different sled the % difference should be close but the absolute numbers will change depending on shock setup.

In the soft the front of the sled dives left when not on the gas. The mag side spark plug is on the Pro side of the centerline is the sled. This is making the more difficult right hand maneuvers even more difficult.

1) What are the cheapest/easiest ways to reduce weight off left hand side of the sled? (clutches, foam removal, less oil in tank) Adding weight such as a turbo to the right not an option.

2) Should there be a stiffer or softer spring setting on left front to compensate? (stiffer is more ski pressure so it sinks into the snow more but the shock is stiffer so shock should compress less). Bit confused here.

Remove the left ski/suspension and shock for starters...
Cut the left running board off.
Maybe your left nut?

Make a tool storage on the right side behind the can?
Fill it with lead?

Seriously the best bet is to shift your body weight slightly to the right when to want the sled to act neutral.
Your body mass is constantly changing the weight balance of the sled, a 1" offset will be more than sufficient..........

Put them scales back under the sled and stand on it.
Alter your foot pressure from side to side.......
See the truth!

In short, don't try to fix a human input problem with hard parts.........

Or more. Bluntly LEARN TO RIDE!
LOL.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The Pro ride chassis was even worse, they did improve this on the axys.

I run my oil tank about 1/2 full, put my tool bag on the right side by the belt drive and then once I get my front shock pre load where I want it, I add one turn to the right, and remove one turn from the left. Doing this I can get the ski wights with in 5-7 lbs. this is with a light weight silencer installed. Eric

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If anything is affecting balance, it's the effect of the huge clutch spinning at 8000 RPM that's on 1 side and not the other. Since that's not going anywhere....just ride the thing and forget about it. The "diving" to one side is in your head because you measured the weights.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
This is not in my head. The snowmobile does track left in soft snow and it is very annoying to stand to the right side of the snowmobile to make it go straight. How much force is generated from the clutch? Is there anybody that can calculate that? Doesn't the rotating mass just resist change in direction versus creating a force?

Appreciate the input on relocating tools.

Does equalizing the ski pressure help more than it hurts? Is making it easier to collapse that spring ski more or less detrimental than more ski pressure as far as tracking straight?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Im not going to get into the physics and engineering of it, if you want to talk about that for days on end just PM cino on here.

As far as adjusting the shocks and trying to move some weight around.... it does help. But dont go more then one turn on each side past an equal spring pre load setting. Eric

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
I have the same issue on my pro. I cranked down on the left spring until I was happy.

From my racing days using 4 corner scales, increasing spring load on a corner will make that corner heavier. And the opposite is true for removing load.

I did not weigh my pro because I did it on the mtn. I didn't count the turns either, I just did it until I was happy.

If the weights are about the same you will not notice any adverse affects, including the sway bar.

Or you could physically move weight.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Yes, definitely a user issue LOL. You seriously believe that it is 12 lbs more on one side is making the 408 lb sled with a 200 lb rider turn one way or the other? That is 0.5% of the total weight of machine and rider that is causing it to pull to one side? Might be time to rethink your theory...

Ski alignment would be a good place to start looking but I do appreciate the previous "learn to ride" comment too.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
The skis are aligned perfectly. I will try to mess with front shock bias and see what happens in the snow.

"Learn to ride" and similar comments are not helping anyone reading this.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I do not have the problems you are mentioning. I find the axys very easy to ride and very predictable. Mine is so easy to ride it feels like an extention of my body, it goes where my eyes go. I feel polaris nailed it with this chassis, it is hard to believe polaris can keep improving the way they have been.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Remove both clutches and just garage ride it! Weight will be equal Right to Left.

No diving / veering issue will present itself there.

In time your confidence will come back. At that time, reinstall the clutches and just ride it!

Penned with the "Smart Azz" font. FWIW

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Well you have fabricated a problem to begin with. I do not think there is any way to help anyone with a problem based on a false premise....

Whats your problem?

If your happy with your sled and dont feel like you have any issues related to the topic then dont reply to the thread. Its real simple.

For guys that really do want to get the most out of their sled its very clear. Polaris built an unbalanced sled. Put it on the scales and see for your self. Also the numbers are even farther off then that once you add a light weight silencer.

With equally adjusted shocks and a light weight can the right side ends up about 25lbs lighter then the left. You also dont figure the math on the total weight of the sled, you figure it off the combined weight of the 2 ski weights.

LF 137 lbs
RF 112 lbs

Total ski weight 249 lbs, 25 lbs difference results in a 10% unbalanced set-up. If you cant notice the left front is 10% heavier, then good for you! Some of us CAN and choose to do something about it. Eric

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I rode my 2017 sks stock. Then put on kmod 37" front end, slp pipe, and a diamond s titanium can and rode it immediately. In 2 feet of fluff the first thing I noticed is how much the left side of the sled dove down - that's if I didn't actively ride it. Polaris didn't design an unbalanced sled, I bet they put that heavy *** boat anchor can in there to balance the thing. There is no other reason for that monstrosity of iron other than to balance the sled. (My theory anyway).

R
Feb 29, 2016
Whats your problem?

If your happy with your sled and dont feel like you have any issues related to the topic then dont reply to the thread. Its real simple.

For guys that really do want to get the most out of their sled its very clear. Polaris built an unbalanced sled. Put it on the scales and see for your self. Also the numbers are even farther off then that once you add a light weight silencer.

With equally adjusted shocks and a light weight can the right side ends up about 25lbs lighter then the left. You also dont figure the math on the total weight of the sled, you figure it off the combined weight of the 2 ski weights.

LF 137 lbs
RF 112 lbs

Total ski weight 249 lbs, 25 lbs difference results in a 10% unbalanced set-up. If you cant notice the left front is 10% heavier, then good for you! Some of us CAN and choose to do something about it. Eric

Lotrs of problems here Eric, my sled is blown up and we need more snow. I understand that some get bored and fabricate issues they think they can solve to make themselves feel smarter, Think Obama, think like a democrat and you have it!

This is a public forum and I think this whole idea is freaking hilarious. There is WAY more in play, including the fact that you want to overlook the entire sled weight INCLUDING the rider, which normally isn't a static object.

I think I will go back with the "learn to ride" side. You guys solving the worlds sledding problems one fabricated issue at a time is GREAT entertainment. Shift your weight slightly to FIX the problem, no mods necessary. There is NO amount you can move from one side to the other to make it perfect, period, end of story. The clutches would throw it off completely even IF you could get the weights the same.

It is just a big waste of time. Just trying to help the uninitiated to be able to tell the difference between real sled issues and fabricated ones. This one is a joke.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Lotrs of problems here Eric, my sled is blown up and we need more snow. I understand that some get bored and fabricate issues they think they can solve to make themselves feel smarter, Think Obama, think like a democrat and you have it!

This is a public forum and I think this whole idea is freaking hilarious. There is WAY more in play, including the fact that you want to overlook the entire sled weight INCLUDING the rider, which normally isn't a static object.

I think I will go back with the "learn to ride" side. You guys solving the worlds sledding problems one fabricated issue at a time is GREAT entertainment. Shift your weight slightly to FIX the problem, no mods necessary. There is NO amount you can move from one side to the other to make it perfect, period, end of story. The clutches would throw it off completely even IF you could get the weights the same.

It is just a big waste of time. Just trying to help the uninitiated to be able to tell the difference between real sled issues and fabricated ones. This one is a joke.

Just so I'm clear here..... The same guy that changes a spark plug on a blown up sled and then keeps riding it... Is now here giving info on fine tuning chassis performance and policing the forum so he can "help the uninitiated to be able to tell the difference between real sled issues and fabricated ones" ? You should just stick to asking the questions and not talking about stuff your clueless about. Eric

Premium Features