• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 viper oil pressure issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I finally had my first ride and had a curious issue. Two separate times I went to start my sled and it wouldn't fire and had the oil light illuminated. I assume it is an oil pressure issue, but the random no start is bugging me.

Both times I had performed a sidehill, had the sled off camber, stopped and shut down on a flat. When I went to immediately restart it cranked with no fire. I waited a few minutes and it started with no problems.

No issues when it was running. Climbing, jumping, sidehills...all was fine until I shut it down.

Any ideas? I'm leaning towards an oil sensor or maybe a pinched line someplace. It was random for sure.

Did you have it warm enough for the fan to kick on either on stopping or when you went to restart?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
No, the temp never went over 175ish when riding, and saw 182 once after a shut down and had it heat soak a little bit. When I restarted it went back down in the 170s.

T
Mar 30, 2010
finally got all the update parts and installed they are on backorder so dealer has to do special order here in the US

part #
tank
8JP-F1751-10
plate, balfle
8KG-F2944-00
plug, oil level
8KG-E5362-00
pipe, oil
8JP-F4319-00
strainer
8JP-F4167-10

here is the tanks side by side for comparison. after update noticed it spits more oil out the overflow in the airbox and ends up in the bottom of the sled! at least it doesn't die while climbing now.

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
finally got all the update parts and installed they are on backorder so dealer has to do special order here in the US

part #
tank
8JP-F1751-10
plate, balfle
8KG-F2944-00
plug, oil level
8KG-E5362-00
pipe, oil
8JP-F4319-00
strainer
8JP-F4167-10

here is the tanks side by side for comparison. after update noticed it spits more oil out the overflow in the airbox and ends up in the bottom of the sled! at least it doesn't die while climbing now.

I noticed a considerable amount of oil coming out around the exhaust side of my Viper with MPI 190 kit, I could not find any leaks but it was enough that it came out on the right panels of the machine. Is this where the overflow would spit it out?

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
After a few rides I am loosing quite a bit of oil out the overflow. Any time the sled gets too far on its side it starts puking oil out of the overflow, I then start seeing low oil light on climbs. I have started to carry an extra quart with me but I don't like the fact that it drops oil all over the mountain. Mountain sleds are supposed to be able to run off kilter, that's the style of riding most of us do in the back country. Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
After a few rides I am loosing quite a bit of oil out the overflow. Any time the sled gets too far on its side it starts puking oil out of the overflow, I then start seeing low oil light on climbs. I have started to carry an extra quart with me but I don't like the fact that it drops oil all over the mountain. Mountain sleds are supposed to be able to run off kilter, that's the style of riding most of us do in the back country. Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

Everybody is pretending that this it not an issue including yamaha and mpi or they are blaming each other!!! its so much fun when companies try to cover up there mistakes or pretend there is no issue and the consumer takes the shaft one more time.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Interesting, I also got back from my first ride and noticed oil leaking out the bottom of my Viper. In addition, the motor cut out on me during some steep climbs.

I think the rev limiter may have had something to do with it but I also noticed the oil light flash a couple times...right when the motor really cut out on me during a steep pull.

Haven't even looked at it, I just dropped the sled back off at my dealer.

FYI 240 HP kit

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
Is it a 14 or 15? The 14s did that because of their oil tank and an ecu settings.

i know of 4 sleds that are 2015 that this is going on with.... after you tip it to the left in mountain riding there is oil everywhere then if you start climbing after that the oil light will obvious come one cause you just lost oil.... the engine has only cut out once while climbing with me but have seen the oil light lots. don't get me wrong love the sled but one of the big reasons i bought this sled was for reliability and was not to buy oil anymore.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i know of 4 sleds that are 2015 that this is going on with.... after you tip it to the left in mountain riding there is oil everywhere then if you start climbing after that the oil light will obvious come one cause you just lost oil.... the engine has only cut out once while climbing with me but have seen the oil light lots. don't get me wrong love the sled but one of the big reasons i bought this sled was for reliability and was not to buy oil anymore.

do they all have mpi turbos on them?

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
Mine is a 2015 with MPI 180 kit, after the oil spill it cut out on me twice while climbing what I would consider not too steep of a hill.

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
Mine was losing oil stock. I lost a qt in the first 100 miles. Still losing oil with mpi installed. I cant even park on a down hill to help a buddy get unstuck without losing oil. My Apex's have never had this issue.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks guys for posting your issue with this.. Im hoping yamaha and mpi see that there is an issue and address it in a timely manner and not leave us hanging..... If I come up with something in the meantime i will post it

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
really strange this did not come up in testing there kits, & all the miles on the demos last year,there was a bunch of demos at revy & i didnt see any leaking oil.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
So I assume it's dumping out the vent? Does anyone run a roll over valve, haven't put mine in yet but I'm just wondering. Sounds like I should be able to lay it on it's left side and spill some? I haven't lost a drop but it's not been on its top yet due to our crapy conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features