• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no spark

P
Jan 4, 2014
got 05 rmk 900 efi don't get no spark on the magneto side thought was coil but tried that but when I take the cap off and hold it close to the plug she fires good on that sixe but when I put the plug on she don't changes caps too didn't work any thoughs

sartysrnr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nova Scotia
Ohm test the stator,known culprit in these beasts.There is a manual download in the sticky section at the top.

Last edited:

sartysrnr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nova Scotia
So your saying you have fire at the plug when its out but no fire when you try and start it with it in?Are you sure it fire?have tried dumping some fuel in the cylinders and starting it?

P
Jan 4, 2014
when the plug is in and the cap is completely pressed on theres not spark on that oine sife the clutch side works perfect soo if pull the cap off and hold the cap close to the plug while the plug is it she cuts in but soon at I put the cap on she cuts out like a bad ground but its only the magneto side that this is happening with

sartysrnr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nova Scotia
Well like i said id start with ohm testing the stator and maybe pull the flywheel and see if the inside has came loose and is chaffing some wires.Check your grounds and look for wire rubs.Compression test would also be in order.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
let me get this straight..

-mag side doesnt fire plug is installed WITH spark plug boot on plug
-when spark plug boot is OFF, plus installed..when boot is close to plug you here it/see it spark..

-have you removed the spark plug and tested it..

from reading what your saying,...umm.....you have a fouled sparkplug...replace with new plug.

your welcome :)

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
I agree with guido. your plug may not even be fouled. the gap could be wrong, electrode broken or porcelain cracked all these will cause a plug to "not fire"

after you have verified that you have good plugs next test the coils. your manual should have the specs and specific procedure for that. at times a weak coil can fire through the wire but as soon as you add a plug there is too much resistance for the coil and it causes either a no fire conditions or an internal short to the primary side of the coil which will confuse the ecm and shut it down. if plugs and coils are good test the stator sarty is saying also test for continuity between stator and coils. then test for continuity between stator and ecm if everything is within spec and passes tests, and you have good connectivity then you most likely have a bad ecm.

T
Mar 8, 2014
Polrmk did you ever figure out what your problem was? i am having the EXACT same problem you are/were. i just finished a rebuild and this started happening after i put the motor back in and got everything back together.

Premium Features