• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 not back shifting

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So pull 8100-8200rpm on packed trail. 7800-8000rpm when I get on top of the snow in pow. Anything with load in pow only taching 7300-7700rpm max. Even on flats in pow. Feels like it tries to back shift and just can't. Plenty of power to do it too. Secondary is much hotter than primary. Real hot. Tried a new 084 belt to no avail. Clutch alignment is spot on. Belt deflection also spot on. Any ideas? Thinking of going with a team tied secondary... Sled only has around 160 miles on it.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Stock cat 63g weights. Elevation 10-11.5k ft. Took apart primary. Everything looks good, rollers, weight set screws, etc. No binding either.

Have also tried primary speedwerx 120-310 and 125-340 springs with slide washers. No change.

Haven't messed with the secondary yet.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Who else is riding at 11k ft right now with a '14 secondary? Never noticed my '12 pull down rpm like this...

My chain tension was loose as hell and fluid metal looking and dirty as crap already. Thanks Cat

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Only 80 mi. on mine. My chaincase oil had alot of alum. in it. Bottom gear also had alot of wear for the mi.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Stock cat 63g weights. Elevation 10-11.5k ft. Took apart primary. Everything looks good, rollers, weight set screws, etc. No binding either.

Have also tried primary speedwerx 120-310 and 125-340 springs with slide washers. No change.

Haven't messed with the secondary yet.

Mine started that way in fact it started lower than that and has went up as more miles is on it. I have around 300 miles now and love it.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
My 13 acted a lot like what your describing when it was brand new. After I had a few miles on it the RPM was about spot on. I will however say that it seems like when cat makes their clutching recommendations for say 9k+ the clutching works good from 9-10k but gets progressively worse the higher you get.

My 14 has about 100 miles on it but I broke it in EXTREMELY hard. I rode the mesa last week (9500-10500ft) and I felt the factory recommendation was pretty close for that altitude.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Mine was spot on first couple rides on it. It's gotten progressively worse the last few rides. Gonna get my secondary warrantied and also pick up a team tied and try that out.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I've never had a problem pulling R's with stock 63g cat weights above 11K ft. M's or proclimbs.

Got the sled at the dealer right now pulling apart the secondary. The primary belt to sheave clearance and weight to roller clearance is good enough. Has to be the secondary...

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Get a team. Cat just can't build a secondary it seems. I have had a 12 and 13 nd never wrecked a belt. Also never ran the stock secondary

What team helix do you run & how much in you MDS weights? What elevation? Just put a team on but have not ridden it.
thanks

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
almost wonder if the updated secondaries with the extra overdrive is pulling rpm at full shift?

there are black streaks down low in the secondary or up top on the primary? If the secondary is over shifting you will loose belt to sheave contact and could be loosing belt grip.

I remember something similar to this when Cat went to the full kevlar belts on my firecat in 05. The belts were so hard they would actually eat grooves in the primary and it would search for rpm at WOT.

cowboyrmk

Lifetime Membership
Apr 28, 2013
Only 80 mi. on mine. My chaincase oil had alot of alum. in it. Bottom gear also had alot of wear for the mi.

I work on heavy equipment and before the first oil change all the gear boxes, ie final drives, etc. the oil is changed. not sure how my sled will be but any gear and chain oil should be changed in my opinion after a short time.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
6th ride on 14, clutches doing well now

1st ride on '14 m-8000 162 sno-pro, clutches very hot on break-in ride, just roads, not good i was sayin' to myself, guess they didn't fix the problems....2nd ride, about the same, but not worse, belt still good....3rd ride, still hanging in there, hot, but no burned belt smell, just not feeling too good about it, but still giving it an open mind, changed broken in belt to spare, new belt now....4th ride, more break-in for new belt for 25 miles, then some good meadows, light x-country work, low snow, so careful....5th ride, more x-country stuff, few decent hills, rode 70 miles with my son riding my 09 m-1000, which goes over a 1000 miles on a belt, even though it's ridden hard, my clutches and his were about the same, and notably, not as hot....6th ride, cold day, 12-15 inches of new snow, left parking lot and gained 2500 ft over several miles, never shut it off, pushing uphill powder for over an hour, on top after continueous good riding, a last full power pull of about a minute....that ought to make them steaming, i thought....totally surprised, i could hold my bare hand on the drive clutch, even though secondary was warmer, i could hold it for about 3-4 seconds, not even that uncomfortable to hold for longer if i had wanted...repeated the uphill pulls two more times, clutches still not hot....maybe this thing is better.....keeping fingers crossed..

Last edited:
Premium Features