• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NyPro questions

C
Nov 29, 2008
OK.
New to Polaris and I know there are differences between years. Looking at taking an 09 RMK Assault and dropping a nytro motor under the hood.

How much of a difference is there between the geometry / handling of the 09 to 13 RMK's? I know the boards, shocks, tracks etc. have changed but from a pure handling perspective how different are they.

Love the nytro motor for its power and dependability but the stock chassis is not great for off trail unless you have oodles of powder - too much weight centralized ahead of the rider without doing the aftermarket front end, rear skid, and so on. Looking for a more capable, fun sled that's easier to play on but hesitant to go 2s - willing to accept the 30lb penalty for the 4s over the 2s. From what I can figure the Assualt or the Freeride would best suit riding preferences.

Comments appreciated.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Look at member builds, I dropped a nytro motor in my 13 pro. After we weigh this thing DRY weight should be 475lbs to 485 which is lighter then 13 production 2 strokes for ski doo and cat! It's a lot of work, but if I had to throw it out there I would buy a damaged pro and put it in that. They are 100% stronger and as long as you have electrical from nytro it all actually falls into place. Speaking from experience, let me know what you decide.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Thanks ...
Looking for input re the ride differences in the 09 RMK to 13/14 years.
I have an 08 Nytro stretched to 144 - which is the right length but just find it to be a bit of a handful for the mixed conditions we ride in.
Phazer mtn is better but a bit lax on power and still a bit to top heavy but definitely better balanced than the nytro and easier to ride / handle in local conditions.

$ to do all the mods - timbersled rear / skinz front / OFT steering relocate - is too much to still end up with a sled that has the engine & tank too high up and forward. Used sleds with the best mods already done are too far away to check out and with shipping cost is the same as doing the mods.

Thinking of an 09 RMK available locally for $4500 - sell the motor / trade for exhaust wielding work and part out the remainder of the Nytro and cost would be minimal but the ride should be far better - best of both worlds (would still need new style boards).

Other option is ditch the Nytro for a new Pro RMK 800 or Freeride but then its back to the 2 vs 4 S conundrum.

Premium Features