• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RPM range on '99 MM 700

Hi all,

Picked up a '99 MM 700 the other day - pretty much stock other than triple piped. Runs great and all that. My concern is RPM range - I went out back in the pasture - 6" of crusty snow - and it just seems like it's running at higher rpm's considering what the speedo is telling me. For example - 30 mph at 5000 RPM, yet only 45 mph pushing 7000 rpm. That seems awful slow for the RPM's on a 700 triple. I don't know if it's in the gearing, in the clutch or just simply the way it is. Sound normal to you? Also, where is the redline or upper end limit on these?

Last edited:
R
Nov 26, 2007
Central MN
What elevation are you currently at when testing the sled? Do you know what elevation the sled was set up for? It would appear that the sled is set up for higher elevation. like 8-10k.. The weights are light, etc...

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
The 700 redhead triple had a shift out rpm of 8000 rpm with stock pipe. Some triple pipes made peak hp at 7650 rpm. If you're only getting 7000 in your pasture, rpm will only go down as you go up in elevation. If I pin my throttle on my 01 mm at 3800ft, I will see 9100 rpm, but if I pin it at 6500ft in fresh powder it holds right at 8500 rpm.
I suggest you take it to your favorite riding area and test there. When the clutch shifts out flip the choke 1/2 on. If the sled bogs you are plenty rich on fuel, if the sled comes alive you're to lean, go home and step up jetting. Just remember low elevation or cold temps demand more fuel.... high elevation or warm temps less fuel. High revs add flyweight...low rpms lighten weight.
It is hard to tell what particular situtation your sled requires, but you have to start somewhere? These sleds work quite well and once setup are very trouble free.

Jeff

Elevation here is 3200'. I'm not sure of the jetting and I'm not familiar with checking on those sort of things. Bought it over in Spokane - elevation slightly lower there, but I"m not sure where previous owner had been running sled.

It just seemed like I ought to be going a lot faster at 7000 rpm - had more room on the throttle, so not sure where WOT is yet.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Central MN
I would get with the orginal owner and see where its set up for.. I would not run it until you know its set up correctly for the elevation your going to ride it at. If its jetted incorrectly and clutched wrong you might have already done some damage to the motor.

I don't have a way to get in touch with original owner.

I pulled the plugs tonite - the sticker says to use NGK BR9ES. The clutch side and center holes both are Champion RN57YCC, and the third hole on the brake side is an NGK B9ES. Not sure if that's different then the BR or not. All plugs looked fine - the right color and all that. Clutch/belt is right on per the manual. Beyond that, I'm a rookie when it comes to sleds - I don't know anything about weights, or how it's jetted - I would guess it should be jetted as we would do it around here as terrain and elevation don't change much between here and Spokane area.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Central MN
Do you know that kind of pipes are on it? SLP, Bender, Power Inc, Aaen's? I am not sure how much riding is right around Spokane? You might be served by taking it to a yamaha dealer or someone versed in Yamaha and have them give it a quick once over. It will save you some $$ in the long run just to be safe to make sure the jets and clutching is correct for your elevation. BR9ES is the plug you want to run.

Here is a good place to start. Tells you all you need to know about taking your clutches apart as well as your carbs and checking things out if you can turn a wrench. Once you figure out what pipes are on it, then you will know what settings to look for once inside.

http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/sledTechIndex.html

Premium Features