• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Talk to me about GAUGES for the MPI Supercharger

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, now that the sled is all but finished and will be out riding on Saturday, I am looking forward to the next item on the list and that is "Gauges".

For a Supercharged Nytro, which gauges are REALLY relevant?

As a Pilot I wanted to know EVERYTHING I could about my engine, so I got into the gauge habit early on in life.

As a Boat Builder we went over the top and built beautiful dash boards filled with every gauge you could imagine.
Performance boaters were totally into the gauge cluster!

In my last truck I installed...

• Autometer Phantom Fuel Air ratio Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Fuel Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Fuel Pressure Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Tranny Temperature Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Water Temperature Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Oil Temperature Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Oil Pressure Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Volt Meter
  • Autometer Phantom Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge
  • Autometer Phantom Manifold Vacuum
  • Autometer Phantom Speedometer
  • Autometer Phantom Tachometer
  • Autometer Phantom ARB Air Pressure Gauge

So my natural inclination is to go a little overboard..:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap
Sleds being a whole different beast, I will need to restrain myself....

But whats really important, and WHY do you think so ??

Boost Pressure
Engine Oil Temp
Engine Oil Pressure
Engine Water Temp
Exhaust Gas Temp

Supercharger Oil Temp
Supercharger Oil Pressure

Last edited:

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
gauges

If i had the money right now or the money i have alreay wasted on gauges i would go straight to the Pro-logger and be done with it. You would have everything needed with your application. Just my opinion!!!

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
I like my pro logger but, it is almost over complicated and is almost impossible to see when the sun is glaring on it. Having a electronic boost controller is sweet and so is the Data log feature.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Gauges.
A/F gauge - Make sure your running JUST right
Boost gauge - To make sure you know your boost
Water temp - to monitor temperatures
Really those are the only 3 NEEDED
Fuel pressure - Helps to diagnose problems
Oil Pressure - Be nice to see if you start loosing oil pressure but there should be an idiot light in the dash
Oil temp if your a gauge hore. Water temp tells yah pretty much same thing

Last edited:
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
on a boosted sled you should run

A/F gauge , lets you know when you're going to melt down your $ 5000 motor and helps out with tuning .

boost gauge , lets you know if you're over boosting or have a boost leak .

Ive run a pro logger and like others found it way to complex , that's why there's lots sitting around in guys parts bins . i also run a fuel pressure gauge , only look at it a hand full of times per year though and is mounted under the hood . when you go to mount them look at the CR gauge bracket , its a really clean set up

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
I really like the prologger- boost, a/f, rpm, boost controller, but more importantly logging capability. When I'm going 100 up a hill I don't want to look down at gauges. They are not that complicated imo once set up. Gauge cluster gives you oil warnings and coolant warnings but I run a oil pressure gauge personally.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
3 most important aem wideband a/f ,boost gauge get the 2 5/8 big one easy to read & fuel pressure keep under hood just for tuning.the prologger if you love wiring & complication:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap

S

scarlier

Dec 29, 2009
Sicamous, BC
the most important gauge besides a boost gauge is a temp gauge. i recently hit a stump and cracked a fitting on my nytro(on the cooler relocate for a 3" track) causing the engine to overheat warping my head and blowing my head shim and gasket. not to mention missing a week of good riding over the holidays. it is in the shop getting fixed now.
the stock heat sensor runs off the thermostat which is only good if there is coolant in the engine. to prevent unessessary $$$$/downtime install a heat sensor in the block(if possible) or an oil temp gauge and hopefully this will give you adequate warning to shut it down before you end up with a huge bill and a blown engine.

SC

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Boost, Aem AFR, and Water temp are critical.

Boost - to help diagnose any issues that may happen with plumbing

AEM - essential to tune the sled with a controller

Water temp - To let it warm up properly before ride and to see how warm it gets when idling, take off slow and wait for it to get back into range before hammering it.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzUtMjAxMDEwMjktMTcxOC5qcGc.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So far the suggestions are

6 Boost
5 Air/Fuel Ratio
4 Water Temp

3 Pro-Logger

2 Fuel Pressure

2 Oil Temp
1 SC Oil Temp
1 Oil Pressure

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wondering if this might not be the ticket?

gaugebanner7.gif

CPC REDLINE GAUGE

CPC/Redline is proud to introduce the highest quality and most complete gauge specifically made for the snowmobile industry. This gauge was designed by snowmobile racers for racers. Its multifunction features allow this water resistant gauge to replace all the gauges on your high performance snowmobile. This gauge performs the following functions:

*4 Temperature sensor inputs for Water temp or EGT (2 exposed tip thermocouple sensors are included)

*Air Fuel Ratio capable (Requires AFR wiring harness and sensor)

*Tachometer (RPM 1)

*Digital Speedometer (RPM 2 Hall Effect)

*Digital Speedometer (RPM 3 Variable Reluctance for automotive use)

*PSI 1 for Boost Pressure

*PSI 2 for Fuel Pressure

*PSI 3 for Oil Pressure

* O to 5 Analog input for direct display of AFR

* Record & Playback feature (25 seconds)

*Completely Programmable including Pressure, Tachometer and Low & High alarm limits

*Customize your own back light with a rainbow of colors using RGB technology

*Super bright LED Red internal warning light

*Water resistant anodized aluminum (not plastic) gauge enclosure

*Runs on AC or DC power without having to purchase a converter

*Built in voltage regulator

*Displays temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit

gwb.gif

gwb.gif

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
If your a tuner maybe lean towards the cpc or the prologger, if not and just like to turn key and ride, a/r and boost combo on the bar to keep things clean then water temp and fuel pressure elsewhere to check up on and diagnose occasional issues.

How are guys finding the prologger too complicated? I'm on the fence about what I am going to run, I like simplicity of just a couple gauges, but am also thinking of completely replacing stock gauge with a cpc or prologger so I can keep things tuned well and monitor all parameters.

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
If your a tuner maybe lean towards the cpc or the prologger, if not and just like to turn key and ride, a/r and boost combo on the bar to keep things clean then water temp and fuel pressure elsewhere to check up on and diagnose occasional issues.

How are guys finding the prologger too complicated? I'm on the fence about what I am going to run, I like simplicity of just a couple gauges, but am also thinking of completely replacing stock gauge with a cpc or prologger so I can keep things tuned well and monitor all parameters.

It is not to complicated, it just takes a bit of use to figure it out. It was designed for automotive applications so there are many features we do not use. That was what I was refering to.

Premium Features