• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

!!!!! Help HAD TO LEAVE 08 XP !!!!!

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
We were heading out of the hills last night in the dark, When we got down into a spot that we were certain that we would have a hard time getting back out with our running sleds. As we found a spot to turn around our 08 xp died and would not start. We have pulled many sleds out with tree branches to using a regular tabogan sled. I would love to find a way to fix this so we dont have to do this.

We changed Spark plugs and checked for spark
We put gas in the cylinders and tried that
We made sure there was gas in the sled
We checked the key and made sure it was connected

The sled has electric start so we of course ran it till it ran out of juice.

Talked to the local dealer today and of course he has no ideas so i decided to revert back to the S.W. Community

Any ideas would be great

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Did the wire harness behind the chain case rub through on one of the rivets?

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
at w.o.t it almost starts and then dies
did not check the wire harness we will when we go up
the teather was on, it would not even turn over when we took it off. We took the teather to the skidoo dealership to have it checked not sure on what was found on that yet.

we were told it might be the crank out of ballance or water in gas we will put heat in and check a few of your ideas

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
X2 on the compression gauge, we had one lose an exhaust valve into the piston and it never made a sound... just died and never restarted.

You've got spark .. you said you checked and I assume you had it.
You've got fuel... you poured it down the cylinder
Air and compression are left... air is the least likely problem.

I would pull the plugs and check to make sure they are getting spark to both plugs and that it's a strong spark.

Last edited:

doomama800

Lifetime Membership
Apr 25, 2009
Wyoming
Don't know how but we had one cyinder go out never made a sound either but could make it run, hell we drove it back to the truck on one cyinder. The piston had a broken ring no compression. We held our finger over the spark plug hole could tell it had no compression, it should lift your finger off the hole. Not saying yours should run or not but knowing what I know about them I'd say lost a piston. Sometimes choking them well help start sometimes this will till if its a fuel issue, even if its over fueling or flooding

snowhunter1

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2009
Fish Lake WA.
dead sled

Had a buddys sled kinda of do the same thing an ended up changing the key / key post and ECM. Im not sure if we change the gage cluster or not but it started right up and so we made the day out of it. Just giving you another area to look at, good luck and hope this helps!

snowhunter1

L

lingnine

Nov 27, 2011
Bismarck, ND
Its not super flooded is it like a float stuck and poured gas into the crankcase? Had one once that after an hr of foolin around with it we had the idea to pull the carbs away from the motor and then it started right up, gotta hit the kill switch right away because there is nothing to regulate rpm. So much gas was was flooded into it that we started it several times to get as much burnt out as possible, every time we just kept hitting the kill switch. sounds redneck but it worked amazing :deadhorse:

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
at w.o.t it almost starts and then dies
did not check the wire harness we will when we go up
the teather was on, it would not even turn over when we took it off. We took the teather to the skidoo dealership to have it checked not sure on what was found on that yet.

we were told it might be the crank out of ballance or water in gas we will put heat in and check a few of your ideas

sounds flooded... set your parking brake start with full throttle when it starts keep it held and let it smoke till it picks up rpms and you can slowy feather throttle down or pick up the track and clean it out. may have had something in float valves or just flooded from steep angle down.

Also maybe check reed boots to see if they are torn.... silicone or duct tape maybe???

Premium Features