• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TIRE CHAINS

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
I recently bought a new Chevy 2011 2500 HD Duramax, retiring my 2002 GMC 1500 with nearly 215K miles. Almost the first thing I did was to look for a new set of chains, and have been unsuccesful thus far. Local retailers, the dealer, and the vehicle manual all say, don't use chains. Plus, I'll be darn if I can find a set to match the tires on the truck (265/60R20). If you look at the back of the tires on this particular vehicle/truck, you can see why the warning against using chains; lines and wires look like they are prime targets. Whats a guy to do?????

Chaos

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
buy chains that fit...then make sure you put them on properly....and you should have no problems

chains should be easy to find online for that size

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
Bug/All,

Thanks for the assist. I took a look at the chart you provided and did not find my tire size.

Having said that, I have found cables to fit the tires but I have never used cables before, only chains. If you have used cables, are they effective?

Thanks. Safe weekend.

Chaos

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
Cables work but not nearly as good as chains.

If I were in your shoes I'd measure the OD and diameter of your tire and find a more common size that is comparable and buy them from somewhere local with a good return policy in case they don't fit and go from there.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, cables are usually more for smaller cars or super icy conditions (Minnesota). Chains work better for ripping through all the packed snow and are still effective for ice.

The 265/50 or 275/* might work for you. Call that company and see what they say.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Yeah I wouldn't do cables. Never seen them work quite like chains. My set of chains are a little big for my tires, I usually have 2 extra links hanging off on the inside and outside, never been a problem. I would trim them down, but will probably go up a tire size on my next set and still want these chains to work.

R
Mar 16, 2010
I recently got a set of Rud Grip 4x4 chains - very similar to the ones linked above.

I've not used them yet; I'd been getting around on Walmart chains, the ones in the blue box, for the past few years.

The Walmart ones work. They work fine, really - no complaints.

The Rud Grip 4x4 caught my eye for two reasons - one, they're a "diamond" pattern, which allegedly helps keep the truck from sliding sideways. That was never really an issue with the wallyworld chains, but it seems like a good idea. MOSTLY, what caught my eye was the ease of installation - the inside loop is not a chain, but a big cable - 1/4"+ on mine (215/85-16). Slide the stiff, plastic-coated cable behind the tire, grab each end of the cable, connect, then connect the hook on the outside of the tire, run a tensioning chain through a tensioner deal, done.

I've only installed them & driven up the street, but I have no doubt at all that they'll WORK well - my wally-chains worked just fine; I kinda wanted to get some "v-bar" chains, but the cheapies never let me down traction-wise.

That said, installing the chain for the first time took me <3 minutes. Second was likely under 2. They did not need retensioning after a very short drive (although easily long enough to make a normal chain/tensioner setup need retensioned). On easy, off easy - I like them, a LOT.

I suppose they might suck for traction; somehow doubt it, but I guess that's a possibility, but they get two giant thumbs up or whatever for ease of installation - give a chain to a passenger who knows how to do it, the truck can be chained and mobile in under 2 minutes.

I got pretty good at putting my old-school chains on, and even being pretty good at it, chaining up took 5-10min, easily.

I got mine at www.tirechaindealer.com, fast shipping, no complaints at all.

RH

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If your gonna buy get the V-Bar chains Had a normal set for towing the enclosed and the were chit compared to the V-Bar chains.

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Try to find a company that sells rigging equipment. Chain, wire rope, hooks, slings, etc. In Alberta they sell to the oil and gas and logging industries. I see you are in Colorado, so there should be a similar type of wholesaler near by. Chances are they sell tire chains too. I got a set of heavy duty V-bar chains with a cam tensioner for $100. They custom fit them to to my tires and removed the extra links as required. I haven't used them yet but have practiced putting them on a couple of times.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
How about this. I took this information from the Tire Rack. com web site.

Your tire 265/60 20"
Diameter 32.5
Revolutions per mile 640
Section width 10.7"

Alternate size 265/70 18"
Diameter 32.6
Revolutions per mile 638
Section width 10.7"

So if the diameter and cross section is nearly identical I would think the chains would work???????? I guess there would be 2 inches less sidewall on the tire before the chains hit the rim, might be a factor.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
There is likely a tire chain made for that size. The problem I would see is the fact that you are running a more commercial size tire and the chains will be made overly stout. Read: very thick chains which will suck on harder road conditions.

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
Well it looks like I will go with Super Z's from SCC. http://www.scc-chain.com/pdf/06-07tgweb.pdf

Specifically indicates they are made with consideration for vehicels having electronically monitored brake systems and traction control installed. Not sure if that means the dynamics of those onboard systems or the clearances between the back of the tire and the hardware. Anyway, anyone have experience with them.

Safe riding and thanks.

Chaos

R
Mar 16, 2010
FWIW, I've used the Rud Grip chains a couple of times this season - once in my neighborhood (doh! Wet roads froze & 6" fell on top of it), once as a precaution - did not really _need_ them that day.

Traction is astounding, as expected, but more importantly, they're REALLY easy to put on. 2min/wheel tops. I'm very happy, although I did not realize when I bought mine that the same company makes a similar set with "V-Bar" links - best of all worlds. If I wear these out, that's what I'll do next - they're excellent.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I had a set from my rig , doubles 11x24.5 i just cut them down to fit on my dullie there great just make them tight !!

Premium Features